slix- down vol. 1

S

simon silverdollar

ashamed to say that i only picked this up yesterday. how good is this mixtape?! my favourite grime CD since aim high 2 way back when...i love that the fact that if you listened to slicks/slix even a year and half ago you wouldn't think he had a great mixtape in him, but he's progressed so much, so quickly. got to be one of the top 5 grime MCs now, surely. in his timing and precision he's almost at the level of D Double now. i love 'guns n roses 2', but 'down' is making me wish that ruff sqwad put out a 'slix version' of it, with just him MCing...

tox

Factory Girl
Yeah I love down too.

Got it on a whim for cheap while picking up a couple of other mixtapes but it definately stood out as one of the better Grime records of two double oh six.

petergunn

plywood violin
ashamed to say that i only picked this up yesterday. how good is this mixtape?! my favourite grime CD since aim high 2 way back when...i love that the fact that if you listened to slicks/slix even a year and half ago you wouldn't think he had a great mixtape in him, but he's progressed so much, so quickly. got to be one of the top 5 grime MCs now, surely. in his timing and precision he's almost at the level of D Double now. i love 'guns n roses 2', but 'down' is making me wish that ruff sqwad put out a 'slix version' of it, with just him MCing...

i just listened to this again on a long drive... it's good, but nowhere as good as you are making it out to be... i guarentee if we talk in a year you'll change your tune... in D Double's class? no way... it's decent, and he knows how to make something out of not much, but it's a solid CD, nothing more... his version of "xtra" is nice, but don't deny you hear it and wish everyone else would come in...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm picking this mixtape up just based on the fact that the tune with Stryder that every DJ has been battering is on it.

That tune is legendary.

dev79

i really dig this slix mixtape too...i generally rate it equal to gnr2...i love em both...ruff sqwad are easily my fave grime crew of 06.

viktorvaughn

I really like the CD but having Stryder and Fuda et al in the mix is always good. Slix is a badman for sure though. I am enjoying Frisco's and Mercston's efforts too.

tom pr

I got this the same time I got Guns and Roses Vol 2, and I still havent listened to it. Ditto Devlin's.

By the way, if anyone's making an order from uk record shop any time soon, they're giving away a free Boy Better Know Christmas thing. You've got to add it to your basket from the mixtapes section though. Just a heads up.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

i just listened to this again on a long drive... it's good, but nowhere as good as you are making it out to be... i guarentee if we talk in a year you'll change your tune... in D Double's class? no way... it's decent, and he knows how to make something out of not much, but it's a solid CD, nothing more... his version of "xtra" is nice, but don't deny you hear it and wish everyone else would come in...

i honestly really don't listen to it wishing that! it seems to me that, surprisingly, slix can carry a whole mixtape on his own, something that very few MCs can manage (even Wiley struggles a little on occasion)

btw, i didn't say that slix was in d double's class per se: just in terms of timing and precision he is. d double's still clearly got the edge in terms of lyrics, presence/charisma and just the sound of his voice.

DJL

i'm joking
I just got this. I can't believe no record companies can't sell this. Every track is good. Quite a lot are really good. If they can get 21 Seconds to number one surely it is possible with the same more developed sound?