Kevin Shields bringing back MBV!

Chris

fractured oscillations
Link

OK, so of course Kevin didn't give any type of time frame for when this might happen, and this may turn out to be the Star Wars Prequel of comeback albums, but this is still the most exciting music news I've heard... ever?

On a sidenote, I was surprised to read in an interview with Kevin in a back issue of Arthur Magazine (issue 7 if anyone wants to read it), that when Kevin dissapeared after Loveless, he actually got really obsessed with the jungle scene in the mid 90s. Did anyone ever see him at any events?

I just hope that if MBV do make a new album, Kevin doesn't hold back on any interesting ideas in an attempt to fit in with current indie trends... not that I want him to retread old ideas either...

bruno

est malade
i don't understand the praise heaped on loveless. isn't anything was the better record, surely?

nomos

Administrator
as an aside, i was talking to peter kember when he brought his sonic boom dj set to town. he said they'd been sending a track/tracks back and forth to each other but there didn't seem to be a firm plan on what to do.

i'm afraid of mbv coming back. it's selfish but loveless was perfect to my ears so in a way i'd be happy to never hear anything else.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Everything I've heard by him post-MBV has been either fairly or really shit, including the jungle-beats tinged 'MBV Arkestra' remix he did for Primal Scream.

He did have a new song on that Lost In Translation soundtrack that sounded just like MBV circa 'Isn't Anything'.

*shrug*

I think I would've given a shit maybe 10 years ago, to be honest.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Aaaah, Souvlaki... that and the Cocteau Twins' Treasure are probably my top 2 personal faves.

i'm afraid of mbv coming back. it's selfish but loveless was perfect to my ears so in a way i'd be happy to never hear anything else.

Yeah, I almost feel that way myself. It'd be a shame to see a nearly perfect legacy (at least album-wise) get tainted. I'd be much more excited for a Cocteau Twins or Slowdive reunion actually. I prefer them to MBV, and both had already hit their peak before they quit, as opposed to Shields, who stopped at his peak. Even if he makes another album, there's just no way it'll top Loveless. Probably better that he just leaves it on that note. :slanted:

i don't understand the praise heaped on loveless. isn't anything was the better record, surely?

Isn't Anything was good but flawed, but IMO if there has ever been an album worth every bit of the praise and hype it's gotten, it's Loveless. Probably the last really innovative thing done in guitar music, as far as I can tell (which has probably been said countless times but... ). Maybe Kevin sensed that after making it, gave up, and went raving.

Last edited:

spotrusha

this is obviously a rumor that comes up every 5 years, but it's closer to being believed now because of his work on the sofia coppola soundtracks. as far as loveless vs. isn't anything? i prefer you made me realize actually! a funny thing that i read like 3 years ago was that he fired colm, the drummer haha i also read that a few of the members were driving cabs recently.
i'm sayin there's a 50% chance that if this album happens, it's released as kevin shields and not mbv.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Everything I've heard by him post-MBV has been either fairly or really shit, including the jungle-beats tinged 'MBV Arkestra' remix he did for Primal Scream.
You didn't like that? It's long been one of my favourite things that Shields has had his hand in. Ever increasing slabs of looped feedback and horns over a mutant Prince backbeat. And very loud indeed. What's not to love?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i hope to god this is good. was excited when i saw the article on pitchfork but like everyone's pointing out, there's no time frame. When he goes in the studio i'll get properly excited
/.;)

robin

You didn't like that? It's long been one of my favourite things that Shields has had his hand in. Ever increasing slabs of looped feedback and horns over a mutant Prince backbeat. And very loud indeed. What's not to love?

yeah i also think this is great,its one of my favourite things that he's done

shudder

God he talks such shit sometimes

"is there a more carnal music than Loveless?"

Carnal? That indie blethering? How the fuck can you call Bilinda's witterings carnal? I worry about some people.

My Bloody Valentine? Good live band, forget the rest.

not that I disagree with your first statement there, but he pretty clearly doesn't mean carnal as in lustful or sexy or whatever, but rather as in having to do with flesh or the body, which fits with his whole womb-sound thing. obviously, Bilinda's witterings are still far from fleshy/bodily, but of course he's talking about the album sound-world, not the singing. (and you probably understood all that in the first place and I'm probably being a little thick... oh well!)

as for forgetting the rest, no thanks! :)

Chris

fractured oscillations
Hmmm... I've actually found Bilinda's singing very erotic, but obv not in a typically "sexy" way, more a bleary, so-in-love the air feels charged with electricity kind of way... Not neccesarilly a requited love either, considering the ambivalent/ambiguous tone/mood of the music. A sense of both bliss and sadness to it. But that's what I love about most good shoegazey stuff. Bittersweet is very nice sonically.

Last edited: