The Eels

satanmcnugget

last night i heard a CD by a band i had only ead about before called the Eels..i decied to pick it up at random because i found it really cheap and i had always wanted to hear them....it was brilliant...im an insta-fan....was wondering if there are any other fans out there who wld a) be willing to publicly admit to it, seeing as the Eels are sell-outs on a major-label, and b) recommend where i might go from here in their discography??

That is seriously fucking weird....about half an hour ago I had a track from Eel's "Daisies Of The galaxy' album pop into my head and thought I might give it another listen sometime.

So yeah, I guess that's an admission to liking them.

ryan17

i remember liking them in the mid-90s when they were pretty big on the american 'alternative rock' stations.

i think 'Novocaine for the Soul' was their big song.

i guess i should check it out for old times sake or something like that.

to be honest i was a little surprised when i saw this thread on here and i paused momentarily thinking "this can't be the same band" but, indeed it is.

robin

i wouldn't listen that sort of thing much at all any more,but yeah they had a really nice sound
novocaine for the soul was a great song
in general i always feel quite surprised when i hear them that they get away it,but they do pull of what theyre doing really nicely

redcrescent

My dentist had the Eels on perma-rotation while he did surgery on people's jaws... I cannot think of the types of associations he created in people's minds.

h-crimm

that other band the eels

does anybody know anything about the post punk band from around 1980 called the eels?

i have one song on a lp compilation of live songs played at some university in south london that had an entusiastic student events officer :D
its got stuff like alternative tv, the stiff injector, deadly lampshades, pastels and all that.... i suppose to small to be on rough trade post punk bands and early indie pop bands

this version of the eels sound a lot like erase errata which not a very bad way to sound... anyone know anything about them at all? they had a female singer but i think i just imagined they were all girls...
the songs about a granny and her grandaughter in a loney bin cos she stops talking... "my grandaughters in a loney bin... etc... she sent me funny letters... i thru them all away". it good anyway...

just saying

stevienixed

i suffer rock
quite liked the debut, beautiful freak, but stopped following the band/e after that. he did two solo records before eels - one of which i heard but left me cold for some reason.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
I remember I loved 'Susan's House', their first big song, when I was like 12. Really fucking opiate music, you know? Same goes for Novocaine for the Soul... and 'Souljacker' is one of the best titles I've ever heard.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
These guys rocked my 15 year old head and heart and sounded fantastic amid the goopy trip-hop n’ ambient mash non-comedy of Blue Jam.

I had Caroline On The Bathroom Floor in my head the other day for what it’s worth...