Neo-cons shrug

adruu

This Is It
For all the AEI faithful! Remember kids, deliberation is a practice, not an endowment!

LINK

Perle goes so far as to say that, if he had his time over, he would not have advocated an invasion of Iraq: "I think if I had been delphic, and had seen where we are today, and people had said, 'Should we go into Iraq?,' I think now I probably would have said, 'No, let's consider other strategies for dealing with the thing that concerns us most, which is Saddam supplying weapons of mass destruction to terrorists.' … I don't say that because I no longer believe that Saddam had the capability to produce weapons of mass destruction, or that he was not in contact with terrorists. I believe those two premises were both correct. Could we have managed that threat by means other than a direct military intervention? Well, maybe we could have."

Leo

LINK

gee, ya think?

man. there are times when i'm embarrassed, saddened and sometimes even disgusted to be an american. reading this article represents one of those times. i hope the rest of the world realizes that not everyone (and thankfully, no one i know personally) here agrees with the administration, a fact borne out during the recent midterm election results.

we were critized by the neo cons as being "reality based" and not having the wisdom/vision/strength of fortitude to remake the world into a "better" place. seems like a dose of reality has come back to bite them in the ass.

C

captain easychord

^^^ do you have it perchance? would like to check out the full article

vimothy

yurp
Oh my God - it's the bloody "Neo-Culpa" feature that was heavily promoted in press releases and trumpeted in left-leaning media just before last years mid-terms, much to the horror of all of the "neo-cons" concerned. By now it has been throroughly done to death and reading the article is something of an anti-climax. If one is familiar with the writers and thinkers concerned, there are no suprises - people like David Frum, for instance, have been making these points on NRO for a long time, years even. For the author however they have "turned sharply on the Bush administration" and are playing "the blame game with shocking frankness".

There has been no sea change. According to Frum, "my most fundamental views on the war in Iraq remain as they were in 2003: The war was right, victory is essential, and defeat would be calamitous. And that to my knowledge is the view of everybody quoted in the release and the piece: Adelman, Cohen, Ledeen, Perle, Pletka, Rubin, and all the others."

An NRO Symposium with all of the Vanity Fair interviewees, organised after the press release, is here: http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MzgxYzUzYmRlNjhmNzMyNjI2MDM4YmRjNTFhODA4MGQ=

craner

Beast of Burden
do you have it perchance

I have a, uh, 'hard copy' - it's a very good article, actually. David Rose cannot be blamed for Graydon Carter's sectarian shenanigans.

Vimothy, you'll have to get used to the fact that some people don't pay attention.

Ken Adelman looks very dapper in the magazine photos.

A door opened from a side entrance in the right corner of the room. Ken Adelman, the Deputy US Reprasentative, sauntered in. "Hi Jeanne," he said. "Thought I'd check to see what's happening."
"I'd appreciate it if you'd knock first." Whatever it was that bonded them was not immediately apparent. If she was cast as high sobriety, his first apperence was that of the jester.

'
The Kirkpatrick Mission - Diplomacy Without Apology' Allan Gerson.

craner

Beast of Burden
reagan.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
So this isn't going to be a really exciting/amusing neocon-bashing thread then? Where's Droid and Matt B and the others? Vimothy's obviously up for it. He's fresh and new and everything. Doesn't get the dimishing returns deal here yet! Let's go! Perle's a demented reptile...