Brand X: Moroccan Roll

Woebot

has anyone heard this phil collins side-project's debut LP?

its remarkably excellent mahavishnu-lite.

the really interesting thing about it is that percy jones, the bass-player who is all over 'another green world' is, er, all over it. the two records share the same drummer rhett davis.

i emailed geeta dayall about the lp, she's been writing a book about 'anw' but she never got back to me. i think its super cool the way it throws a jazz-funk shade all over eno's output. i mean lets not forget the track 'zawinul' and that my life in the bush of ghosts is 'sextant' rewrote.

and didnt eno do a jazz-funk lp in the nineties, 'the drop' and everyone was wtf. where's this come from.

bloody interesting record imo. check it out. sop weird the way that phil collins went all indo. i mean!?!?! whats the chances of that. and it just shows how high-profiled indian music must have been for a short time...

mms

sometimes
has anyone heard this phil collins side-project's debut LP?

its remarkably excellent mahavishnu-lite.

the really interesting thing about it is that percy jones, the bass-player who is all over 'another green world' is, er, all over it. the two records share the same drummer rhett davis.

i emailed geeta dayall about the lp, she's been writing a book about 'anw' but she never got back to me. i think its super cool the way it throws a jazz-funk shade all over eno's output. i mean lets not forget the track 'zawinul' and that my life in the bush of ghosts is 'sextant' rewrote.

and didnt eno do a jazz-funk lp in the nineties, 'the drop' and everyone was wtf. where's this come from.

bloody interesting record imo. check it out. sop weird the way that phil collins went all indo. i mean!?!?! whats the chances of that. and it just shows how high-profiled indian music must have been for a short time...

eno produced an afro beat lp just before 'my life' as well. it's a pretty awful record mind you.

Woebot

thats the anikanfo ramblers (or something like that) lp isnt it. yeah thats amazingly bad. almost like he totally lost his nerve... became worried about being an imperialist swine.

mms

sometimes
thats the anikanfo ramblers (or something like that) lp isnt it. yeah thats amazingly bad. almost like he totally lost his nerve... became worried about being an imperialist swine.

edikanfo
it's called yes it's milquetoast for sure.

Kate Mossad

The Phil Collins/John Lydon interface. Interesting interview here http://www.launay.com/hipages/higroups/interviewsgroup_hi.html

I once heard John say in an interview that Phil Collins had stolen the PIL drum sound. Apparently after hearing the drum sound on Flowers...Collins requested the same engineer that PIL used and set up the drums exactly the same! Is this true? Was it you!

Yes, this is true, and it was me. John is correct but there is a bit more to it.
I learnt how to get that "kind" of drum sound by watching Hugh Padgham record in the same stone room at the townhouse. Hugh recorded Peter Gabriel's 3rd album and if you listen to a song called Intruder you will hear what I'm talking about. When It came to doing the PIL, album I used similar methods to achieve a similar sound.
During the making of the Flowers of Romance I bumped into Phil Collins in the corridor of the townhouse (I had worked as an assistant on his 1st LP), and he was very inquisitive about how I was surviving working with the evil "Johnny Rotten" I told him John was a top class gizza, and promised to introduce them if he was keen.
Later that day Me and John went to the townhouse canteen to eat Boiled Cabbage and Mash, and in walked Phil so I introduced them. Much to all our surprise they got on like a house on fire! … Anyway back to the drum story... Much later Phil was producing a Chris Bailey (of Earth Wind and Fire) album, and he wanted THAT drum sound, but Hugh was off working with the Police. Phil had by then heard snippets of the PIL album. So, the day we were in mastering the Flowers Single remix at the townhouse cutting rooms (next door), I got a call from Phil saying HELP!!!!! So I went in for an hour or so and dialed it up!

Woebot

The Phil Collins/John Lydon interface. Interesting interview here http://www.launay.com/hipages/higroups/interviewsgroup_hi.html

I once heard John say in an interview that Phil Collins had stolen the PIL drum sound. Apparently after hearing the drum sound on Flowers...Collins requested the same engineer that PIL used and set up the drums exactly the same! Is this true? Was it you!

Yes, this is true, and it was me. John is correct but there is a bit more to it.
I learnt how to get that "kind" of drum sound by watching Hugh Padgham record in the same stone room at the townhouse. Hugh recorded Peter Gabriel's 3rd album and if you listen to a song called Intruder you will hear what I'm talking about. When It came to doing the PIL, album I used similar methods to achieve a similar sound.
During the making of the Flowers of Romance I bumped into Phil Collins in the corridor of the townhouse (I had worked as an assistant on his 1st LP), and he was very inquisitive about how I was surviving working with the evil "Johnny Rotten" I told him John was a top class gizza, and promised to introduce them if he was keen.
Later that day Me and John went to the townhouse canteen to eat Boiled Cabbage and Mash, and in walked Phil so I introduced them. Much to all our surprise they got on like a house on fire! … Anyway back to the drum story... Much later Phil was producing a Chris Bailey (of Earth Wind and Fire) album, and he wanted THAT drum sound, but Hugh was off working with the Police. Phil had by then heard snippets of the PIL album. So, the day we were in mastering the Flowers Single remix at the townhouse cutting rooms (next door), I got a call from Phil saying HELP!!!!! So I went in for an hour or so and dialed it up!

wicked stuff! thanks mossad you made my day.

slye

Allied Heights
Man, first Gentle Giant gets the Woebot thumbs up and now Brand X... I thought I was supposed to be ashamed of liking this music!! :eek: Glad to see such a knowledgable dude as Matt get behind it. Btw mad props for the GG segment on Woebot TV that was really, really well done.

Yeah first two Brand X albums are amazing. Great records to chill out to. I think they're really well arranged and atmospheric too. Interesting production and all. Phil Collins played drums on parts of <i>Another Green World</i> as well. I kinda sort of hear some of that record and maybe "Energy Fools The Magician" throughout the first two by Brand X.

Last edited: