The Dogzilla/Doogz Confusion Thread.

Woebot

More than D Double and more than Bruza (you gotta hand it to the Bruza the guy is a serious contender) Durrty Doogz is the MC I reckon who is going to enter the stratosphere. Lets face it Wiley, though hes a MC one can feel a kind of almost sentimental loyalty to, only ever made it far as he did by being the consummate politician. I used to describe him more as a producer who chatted some lines on the side, but nah, thats incorrect. He's a politician, a war lord if you like.

Dizzy, maybe this a reflection of his over-exposure (but on second thoughts probably not) but his scrawny tones have begun to make less of an impact on me, even irritate me a bit. Its not a case of build em up tear em down as such, maybe he didnt emerge too well from Wileys "Dylans On a Hype Ting" and Crazy Titchs "Just An Arsehole." I love D Double, but bless him, he isnt a brilliant dude, he has his own limits. Dogzilla on the other hand, hes a monstrous talent.

I guess it was bad news that he had to change his name, which if you dont know is now "Durrty Goodz". Aw thats a TERRIBLE moniker, which tossers were responsible for making him have to change it? Does anyone know? Silverdollar? Why couldnt he have settled on Dogzilla? Is that too copyrighted? Theres loads of great Doogzy stuff in the pipeline, mention ought to be made of "I want Out" and I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of "Boom Boom" at, of all places, Rough Trade in Notting Hill (Independance say they wont get it till Mid Feb, pointing to some major label action afoot).

The bad news for me however is that "Neverending Story", which I first heard on Sama's show has been retooled, and the new Doogzy delivery just doesnt cut it with the same panache. The version I heard Doogz do first (and correct me if i'm hallucinating here) his rap was much more open, aching, a little teary, nostalgic possibly. He'd dropped the "raw" vocal approach that he pretty much pioneered and the tune was just deep, emotional, extremely affecting. I must say itd be a bit of a tragedy if that cut gets lost and the one on Aim High Vol2 comes out as it is.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i like him a lot, but out of any of them i think riko has the most potential and the best delivery.

Woebot

stelfox said:
i like him a lot, but out of any of them i think riko has the most potential and the best delivery.

riko, hes just had such a fucked-up career thus far. hes gonna have to piece his life together before he can progress i reckon. sure "popadomz", "chosen one" etc. Gods Gift is special too, maybe not as "deep", but at the mom id put him in same bracket as Riko in terms of their cosmic energy status....

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
WOEBOT said:
More than D Double and more than Bruza (you gotta hand it to the Bruza the guy is a serious contender) Durrty Doogz is the MC I reckon who is going to enter the stratosphere. Lets face it Wiley, though hes a MC one can feel a kind of almost sentimental loyalty to, only ever made it far as he did by being the consummate politician. I used to describe him more as a producer who chatted some lines on the side, but nah, thats incorrect. He's a politician, a war lord if you like.

Dizzy, maybe this a reflection of his over-exposure (but on second thoughts probably not) but his scrawny tones have begun to make less of an impact on me, even irritate me a bit. Its not a case of build em up tear em down as such, maybe he didnt emerge too well from Wileys "Dylans On a Hype Ting" and Crazy Titchs "Just An Arsehole." I love D Double, but bless him, he isnt a brilliant dude, he has his own limits. Dogzilla on the other hand, hes a monstrous talent.

I guess it was bad news that he had to change his name, which if you dont know is now "Durrty Goodz". Aw thats a TERRIBLE moniker, which tossers were responsible for making him have to change it? Does anyone know? Silverdollar? Why couldnt he have settled on Dogzilla? Is that too copyrighted? Theres loads of great Doogzy stuff in the pipeline, mention ought to be made of "I want Out" and I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of "Boom Boom" at, of all places, Rough Trade in Notting Hill (Independance say they wont get it till Mid Feb, pointing to some major label action afoot).

The bad news for me however is that "Neverending Story", which I first heard on Sama's show has been retooled, and the new Doogzy delivery just doesnt cut it with the same panache. The version I heard Doogz do first (and correct me if i'm hallucinating here) his rap was much more open, aching, a little teary, nostalgic possibly. He'd dropped the "raw" vocal approach that he pretty much pioneered and the tune was just deep, emotional, extremely affecting. I must say itd be a bit of a tragedy if that cut gets lost and the one on Aim High Vol2 comes out as it is.

Uh, I'm a bit confused by your wording on this. Surely you aren't saying that Dogzilla and Durty Doogz are the same person?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I think Durrty Doogz wanted to change his own name to Durrty Goodz- I remember Richie Vibe Vee sounding a bit perplexed about it, saying "yeah, this is how he wants to be known now- if you think it's a good move, or a bad one text in...".

As for Dogzilla, listening to Never Ending Story, Aim High 2 version, on the way to work, and it's hard not to feel moved by those lyrics about Ayia Napa- it's all a bit untidy as he goes "Riko missed the whole thing- Riko you didn't miss anything" then he pulls himself up and with real honesty goes "Dizzee got bored and took the piss, nevertheless I still miss - Larnaca airport..." and goes off to namecheck a load of tourist destinations as if they're pure nostalgic poetry to him.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
which tossers were responsible for making him have to change it? Does anyone know? Silverdollar?

I know our Simon is getting quite a few props at the moment, but surely he's not that deep in the game is he?

S

simon silverdollar

Diggedy Derek said:
I know our Simon is getting quite a few props at the moment, but surely he's not that deep in the game is he?

ha, ha, course not!
i really don't know all that much about grime. i listen a lot, obviously, and i think about it a lot, but as far as knowing about the 'behind the scenes' sort of stuff i'm quite ignorant.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, i know what you're saying re riko, matt. i'm just thinking best possible scenario-style. if he does sort himself out, then i reckon he could be pretty unstoppable.

Backjob

I heard he changed it because he thought people wouldn't know how to say "doogz" and it might stop him making it big.

S

simon silverdollar

i think riko is going to massive. he's the best MC in grime at the moment by some margin. dizzee's gone a little down in my estimation too matt. i dunno: i just don't like him as much as i did. not sure if he's changed or i've changed.

but yeah; riko is going to be huge.

but wiley's an excellent MC too: those bars on destruction v.i.p in particular are amazing. when he feels like putting the effort in, wiley can be really special.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Whenever you see Riko on a DVD his physical presence is amazing (and he's not a giant or anything is he, just a big ish bloke). On Practice Hours, pointing and posing is just a pure extension of what he's saying, like he was born to rhyme and rock it. On Aim High 2 at Rhythm Divison, many of them rhyme next to the camera, but he moves towards the windows as if he's confronting the world.

More than any other MC, you can tell he means it maaaaaaan.

C

captain easychord

wiley is a fair MC at best i think. he does have a lot of conviction at points, when he's really feeling it you know? techincally though he's not gripping or anything.

riko is tops for sure, if he could get his shit together he'd be totally on point.

dizzee seems to have fallen into this trap where he talks about himself constantly. and not in the battling , boasting sense, the liquid swords. rather he seems to be examining himsef within the context of fame, success, ad nauseam in the style of eminem. it's a shame because his first album is full of such great storytelling and observation.

DD is pretty much the perfect grime MC.

as for DEE i can't still help but think he's just the most original MC in the game... but he seems to have tapered off a bit. his bars from this year aren't close to his classics.

dubplatestyle

dizzee <i>has</i> painted himself into a corner; i can totally see <i>showtime</i> as his <i>marshall mathers lp</i>, the full summation of his shtick. without a serious reinvention he's sunk, i think. the idea of him releasing an <i>encore</i> in two or three years is just depressing beyond belief.

here is where i get crucified for saying i don't hold riko in esteem as high as everyone else.

doogz should by all rights be a huge star by now. he's always been (one of) my favorite(s). i think his esitimation (at least prior to the mass ILM exodus to dissensus) was down somewhat (possibly due to the "fake yardie accent" thing?...i remember guys like god's gift used to get grief for that after dizzee blew up because it came across as a remnant from the old skool ukg days before grime mc'ing had a "unique voice.")

i miss sharkie.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
woebot, I think you are talking about 2 mcs - there's durty dogz of boyz in the hood with titch - presents the load of the deck dvd and video, brilliant patois flow ...says 'they don't know' alot (stolen from elephant man surley?), then then there's dogzilla, beefy white guy, used to be involved in pay as you go (he on a sidewinder dvd onstage with dizzee and wiley in 2002), I forget who he rolls with now, but the 'neverending' track is him. Both are good but very different. dogz was quiet in 04, but he was signed and I've heard load of good stuff being rinsed on the pirates.

And speaking of being involved in the scene, (shameless bragging coming up)... I had tea with new era of the essentials today and also said hello to mr davinchie. :p

luka

yeah, dogzilla is a white MC who looks like a bloke down the pub/ he doesn't do much for me, though i think i can see why matt likes him. he sounds like a normal bloke, quite honest and that.

doogz is someone else yeah. he left boyz in the hood a long time ago and has been looking to distance himself from the grime scene. he's very talented in all the ways dogzilla isn't. like, flows and that, blah etc

doogz said he changed his name because people couldn't pronounce it properly.

sharkie is still around. been doing some not very good hiphop stuff. i still love him though. always rated him more than dizzee.

i love riko too, he's amazing, and yeah, has incedible presence.

wiley was very good back in the days but his voice lost its elasticity. did i send anyone here that tape with jookie, wiley and gods gift from a couple of years back when they;re still pissed off about that heartless thing? wiley is incredible on that. 'running off his (bushkin) mouth like he runs north london, i stay calm and watch the boy function, touch me i'm going to bust your head open'

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Wiley's dub on Pulse Y for heartless crew was big using those bars.

Dogzilla and Syer are both big MCs who just have to find their niche and make that one hit track to get them on their way. They've been vocalling beats tirelessly though, their dj gives me a new tune from them nearly every week.

In terms of MCs who will put together good albums in 2005.

Ears will do. Breeze and Trim will do. Godsgift will do. Crazy Titch will do given the right producers and direction. And Riko has started to already.

mms

sometimes
it's got to be riko if its anyone i think, as long as he stays out of trouble.

trim is pretty outstanding as well, very off beat style, i really like it, he needs more verses tho. boogieman was amazing.

ghetto too.

but it's kano up next isn't it?

mpc

wasteman
JME is the new tinchy stryder although he's nowhere near as good.

bossman from meridian could get a lot more recognition this year.

i think there could be some really good stuff on the ears album, but does he only do downtempo? on practice hours he seems so lethargic. i guess that's jammer's influence. ("when i was 7 i had a fisher price, then i got an amiga, then i got mega drive 2, then i got a playstation, then i got fruity loops, then i...OK FOR FUCK'S SAKE GET ON WITH IT U COCK END).

hold tight james from luton.