Alice Coltrane

craner

Beast of Burden
I was going to go and see her at the Barbican. I was really excited about this.

Alas, she died.

In memorium, please talk about the magnificence of World Galaxy and such.

zhao

there are no accidents
In memorium, please talk about the magnificence of World Galaxy and such.

this is actually one of 2 or 3 recordings of hers that I'm not familiar with. but they are waiting for me in a great big pile of things.

like many, I started with Journey in Satchidananda. and have since discovered the magnificance of Pita the El Dadoud, A Monastic Trio, etc. Universal Consciousness, which I gues most consider her master piece, is actually not my favorite...

I actually do think that in the past few years I've listened to her music maybe more than John's... but maybe that's because I lost my copy of African Brass.

Octopus?

Pita the El Dadoud

Sorry, Zhao...I wouldn't normally pick on misspellings but that's truly too beautiful to pass up.

"And lo, the Moroccan souvlaki soldiered on to avenge himself against the sons of Idris."

Fantastic album nonetheless.

Last edited:

adruu

This Is It
Transcendence though...come on. That's really the most accessible isnt it?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
I have it - somehow I thought it had had a CD release? Will see if I can find the CD I made. Don't think it's all that rare tbh.

its jap only like world galaxy but there is high enough demand to get it in the west. there is a reissued vinyl one too.

the other lp she is rather stunning on is mcoy tyners brilliant extensions, truly great.

Woebot

Anyone got a copy of 'Lord of Lords' they can burn for me

It's, like, ultra-rare

i have that. is it ultra-rare? i'd be surprised. i'll do you a copy. actually that must be one of favorites of hers. world galaxy is a little queasy.

zhao

there are no accidents
i'll do you a copy.

why don't you rip it at 320 and up it to rapidshare? that way a few people can hear it - especially now if you say it's a favorite... I've got to check it out now don't i?

plus it would not jeopardize your karma as the record is japanese only.

Woebot

why don't you rip it at 320 and up it to rapidshare? that way a few people can hear it - especially now if you say it's a favorite... I've got to check it out now don't i?

plus it would not jeopardize your karma as the record is japanese only.

wot the cd is only japanese? i'll think about it. maybe i'll just mail you and craner a copy.