rinse fm playing minimal techno...

S

simon silverdollar

...check it out (19.39, friday night).
quite unexpected. quite a headfuck. was this inevitable?...phil sherburne was talking recently about minimal techno and dubstep gettting ever closer...

S

simon silverdollar

yeah its a lot more normal now. 15 minutes ago they played 2 or 3 really ultra minimal tracks...that villalobos aquatic sound. may be it was just one of those moments where the rinse djs drop something totally off the wall into the mix.

nomos

Administrator
who's on right now? was it proper minimal techno? there's a wee bit of minimal-influenced dubstep coming out of bristol right now.

EDIT: should be heny g right now.

S

simon silverdollar

who's on right now? was it proper minimal techno? there's a wee bit of minimal-influenced dubstep coming out of bristol right now.

EDIT: should be heny g right now.

yeah it wasn't minimal influenced dubstep- it was quite full on, clicky 4/4 techno.

S

simon silverdollar

it's all gone a bit detroit techno now...rinse are getting through the genres like nobody's business tonight...

rinse is no longer owned by

geenius right but now by that sarah woman that runs dubstep....I mean right?

from the obscene amounts of funky house and 2step they play throughout the day I reckon there really tryna go legal - playing minimal techno would probably be another step in that direction

they play less grime/garage though...

Last edited:

tox

Factory Girl
I heard Fuda guy and JME over that Princess Superstar/Mason electro track Perfect the other day. Not quite as much of a suprise as minimal, but still a bit of a shock.

gumdrops

if anyone has that audio of fuda guy (who says that take it easy man catchphrase a bit too much lol) over that princess superstar track, please post it up

i didnt know rinse was owned by sarah at ammunition now. interesting. theyre kinda taking over the whole scene arent they. its not quite going 'corporate' but the new entry cards to get in and the musical policy changes coupled with the fact its now run by probably the biggest company in the scene makes me wonder.... maybe they ARE trying to go legal.

i hope they dont totally oust grime from the line up.

nomos

Administrator
gumdrops said:
i didnt know rinse was owned by sarah at ammunition now. interesting. theyre kinda taking over the whole scene arent they.
is there any truth to this? i know there have been management changes over the last year or so, but i've always understood ammo and rinse to be quite separate enterprises.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
weak hip hop on there right now

edit 4:40 - it's better now, like low deep or something

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
does sarah at ammunition run FWD?

yes and the tempa labels.
is anyone less excited about minimal techno and dubstep crossing over?
as genres they've both seem to got worse lately rather than better, will a crossover actually improve either? good though that they've crossed over at the most flashy leftfield points, shackleton and villalobos.

elgato

I just dont know
i know what you mean, but at the same time i look at appleblim on the latest fwd podcast, peverelist's new 12, and pinch's new productions he's been playing out, and i cant help but feel excited about it

elgato

I just dont know
off topic, but a fine fellow has pointed this out... http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14089

been listening and theres some good stuff there

re Ammunition, is it not the case that theyve always basically dominated the scene? not grime obviously, but i'd say thats still very far from the truth anyways.

is grime not still the most dominant sound on rinse?

nomos

Administrator
elgato said:
i know what you mean, but at the same time i look at appleblim on the latest fwd podcast, peverelist's new 12, and pinch's new productions he's been playing out, and i cant help but feel excited about it

yeah i've been pessimistic for a while but those things are getting me excited too

elgato said:
i would swear it's funky house now, but maybe i'm turning it on at the wrong times

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
off topic, but a fine fellow has pointed this out... http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14089

been listening and theres some good stuff there

re Ammunition, is it not the case that theyve always basically dominated the scene? not grime obviously, but i'd say thats still very far from the truth anyways.

funny how that mix is in the main stuff that would'nt be classed as minimal, maybe villalobos has realised how boring that sound has become. i have been told that ammunition are the new managers of rinse by someone who would know and have no reason to lie.

funky house and 4/4 garage and 2 step are the daytime sound of rinse i reckon then a careful balance between grime and dubstep, more dubstep than ever now tho.

C

cyst

Dubstep was sonically far closer to minimal - if you consider a genre to be the sum of its parts as opposed to a loose grouping of individuals who are not neccesarily connected and don't neccesarily share the same musical goals - two or three years back than it is now. Its far more cluttered these days and theres far more mid and alot less subltety.

Surely every good producer is aware of other musics and allows them to influence their style, i don't think just because Shackleton and Villalobos share a penchant for good percussion it means the two scenes are in any way merging. If producers stop looking for influence in the other interesting genre's and only listen to the type of music they make you get self imitating genericism.

Skream likes electro house and uses apreggios but no one talks about crossover in that direction, though because Pinch doesn't use many instruments - after all dubstep is minmal music - and different kick drum placement at times theres a lot of hype about.

Also what kind of crowd are you gonna get at a minimal/dubstep gig. Sure theres plenty of open minded heads who'll go purely for the musical experience, but theres gonna be alot more people who draw their identity from being part of a scene and the standard demographs of the two musics couldn't really be more opposite. The only way i could see it working is on a very small scale and at that point it isn't really a crossover anyway.

Didn't mean for this to be a miserabilist rant:)

Last edited: