Gypsy Music/ Eastern European Folk/Klezmer

muser

Anyone else into this kind of sound ? Been liking Parno Graszt, Ando drom, Gogol Bordello, some loyko, got a random compilation of some russian folk with some good stuff in it, quite like balkan beat box aswell. Anyone got some suggestions/ things they're liking at the moment along these lines?

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I like Cameron del'Isla's Rosa Maria LP - not sure if it's one for the purists but to me it's good flamenco.

i just picked up balkan beats. vol 2, some of it is great, i havent heard the first one yet.
recently got another fanfare ciocarlia (romanian gypsy band, who are on the balkan beats comp) record entitled 'radio pascani', which has some amazing tracks on it...have another one somewhere, or at least another record by a similar band, left it somewhere, cant place it.

got a collection of albanian folk songs on the 'topic' label today, very interesting, lots of instrumentals, incredible sounds on there. ballads, instrumentals, ritual songs, shepherd melodies..

i quite like the work of goran bregovic as well. i love this berzerk song of his called 'kalashinikov', complete gypsy gabber tempo brass band... punk.
im also very interested in this thread, so would appreciate anyone else's input.

Chris

fractured oscillations
I'm really into Eastern European folk lately myself. My mom (who lives in Slovakia), brought me some gorgeous tradional Slovak folk cds recently. Very odd sense of rhythm out there... almost a start/stop feel in the music due to the inverted (to my ears) syncopation patterns.

I'd be very interested in recommendations on this kind of stuff too. On a side note; does anyone have any links or recommendations on traditional Nordic folk? The stuff with the creaky violins?