Werner Herzog vs Rambo...

blunt

shot by both sides
http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/rescuedawn/trailer1/

<snip>

"Based on the true story of an American pilot, Dieter Dengler (Christian Bale) is shot down during a top-secret mission to destroy Viet Cong strongholds in Laos at the beginning of the Vietnam War. Taken hostage, he endures unimaginable conditions at the hands of cruel captors in a makeshift POW camp."

</snip>

My brain hurts.

Last edited:
P

Parson

i excited to see that this is finally coming out

the production company said they weren't going to release it because herzog is too herzog and they wanted an action film

its going to be awesome

Guybrush

Dittohead
The trailer is absolutely awful. I had almost forgotten how bad they are: the pompous music (they use the same song for every tralier, it seems), the abyssal announcing voice, etc. And most fatally: Why do they reveal half the story in advance? I bet I would want to watch it more only knowing it was about a pilot gone M.I.A. in Vietnam.

P

Parson

should probably watch little dieter needs to fly first anyway and that has the whole story

P

Parson

its also one of the very few documentaries in herzog's repertoire where his influence is hardly felt(land of silence and darkness is another). the story speaks for itself and herzog just tries to tell it without getting in the way.

you can get it with this boxset, which i recommend
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ABD012775

Last edited:

Octopus?

its also one of the very few documentaries in herzog's repertoire where his influence is hardly felt(land of silence and darkness is another). the story speaks for itself and herzog just tries to tell it without getting in the way.

you can get it with this boxset, which i recommend
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ABD012775

Just watched "Little Dieter..." (part of that glorious set) and apparently Herzog influenced Dieter's story quite a bit, suggesting visual comparisons (the jellyfish) and certain ideas (the opening and closing of his door) to him. He views his documentaries more as a collaboration than a straight up recording of facts. Still excited to see "Rescue Dawn", shit trailer aside.

P

Parson

yeah he can't help but influence it but this is certainly a case where the focus is on the actual story.

as opposed to say fata morgana, which sheds narrative entirely or la soufriere where there isn't much of a story at all.

herzog lets dieter tell his story, and takes him back to where it actually happened and partially re-enacts what happened with dudes who look just like his captors.

no need for herzog to wax poetic in voiceover narration, no need to inject fiction or fantasy. ecstatic truth self-contained.

P

Parson

opening and closing the door is hardly an embellishment. the guy has an obsession with doors. and flight.

shudder

there was a pretty interesting New Yorker article on this as it was being filmed. Mostly recounting the same old stories about how incorrigible the old weirdo is, and some new ones too about how he can't get along with the Hollywood producers behind new movie. Also a surreal story about him helping some normal celeb out of a car crash or something? (memory fuzzy)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Also a surreal story about him helping some normal celeb out of a car crash or something? (memory fuzzy)

Was it Joaquin Phoenix?

That was also around the time that he was shot at outside his home while being interviewed by Mark Kermode.

It's like he lives in one of his own films and other people around him get dragged in too.

P

Parson

herzog's version of truth in life is much like his version of truth in his documentaries

a little embellishment makes it all more exciting

in mein liebster fiend he talks about how he and kinski used to make up biographical facts about themselves and each other