Tracks You Dig by Artists You Don't

soundslike1981

Inspired by the last two tracks I've heard:

Led Zeppelin - "When the Levee Breaks"
(just can't really fuck with that beat, and I have to say the production is pretty ace, hearing it for the first time in, oh, ten+ years--not undubby, though a rock version of)

The Clash - "This is Radio Clash"
(cheesy, earnest, but a hell of a lot more fun than the "punk" records--nice post-punk dub copping, nice brass hits)

martin

----
"Immigrant Song" by Led Zep. I hate all their other songs, but I once saw this odd 70s Swedish movie in a hotel room, and there was a band in the film called the "Kawasaki Nightriders" or something, with loads of facial hair and Hells Angels style leathers, who did a live cover of it during a scene in a disco club and it was brilliant. Haven't got a clue what the film was called or what was going on as it wasn't subtitled (some sort of detective / crime caper? there was a bad fight and car chase in it), but I've liked the original ever since.

STN

sou'wester
'Rock on' by David Essex. It's all dubby and weird and how I hoped a lot of (coughs in a fatherly manner) today's groups would sound before discovering that they all sounded rather ordinary. My mate discovered it in her mum's record collection. It's brilliant.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
'Rock on' by David Essex. It's all dubby and weird and how I hoped a lot of (coughs in a fatherly manner) today's groups would sound before discovering that they all sounded rather ordinary. My mate discovered it in her mum's record collection. It's brilliant.

Total tune that one. Amazing.

zhao

there are no accidents
that song by Mr Scruff with the super fine sax line and vocal bit that goes "you better keep movin'... or you'll get left behind" ----- turns out the sax line (which makes the tune) was entirely lifted from a Moondog song in the 70s, now with a house beat slapped on. I guess some crate digging credit is due, but there was no credit given to the original on the record, so in the end this Scruff is still a talentless twat.

mms

sometimes
that song by Mr Scruff with the super fine sax line and vocal bit that goes "you better keep movin'... or you'll get left behind" ----- turns out the sax line (which makes the tune) was entirely lifted from a Moondog song in the 70s, now with a house beat slapped on. I guess some crate digging credit is due, but there was no credit given to the original on the record, so in the end this Scruff is still a talentless twat.

that tune's called birds lament - a very lush one that, everything is pretty much nicked from it. the strings and all
mr scruff.. god manchester so much to answer for.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I don’t like The Commodores at all except for ‘Assembly Line’ (which is great) and also Faith No More’s cover of ‘Easy’, if that counts. I love Barry Manilow’s ‘Can’t Smile without You’ and Engelbert Humperdinck’s ‘Quando, Quando, Quando’ despite being indifferent to most of their other works (a special mention to the latter’s fabulously arranged songs though—the intro to ‘A Man and a Woman [Un homme et une femme]’ is a succinct masterpiece). Savage Garden are a bit crap, but ‘To the Moon and Back´ is lovely; speaking of Aussie bands: INXS´s ‘Original Sin´.

STN: Surely, the greatness of ‘Down Low´ is incontestable?

Numbers

Nightclubbing by Iggy Pop (produced by David Bowie). Well, maybe I only like the intro of the track, but still.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
"The Idiot" is a fucking masterpiece! Foresees a certain brand of Teutonic post-punk 3 years in advance of its arrival, plus nails dilapidated Wiemar-esque Berlin decadence better than anything... this side of the "Cabaret" Soundtrack perhaps (but I doubt that has anything as magnificently sick and proto-industrial as "Mass Production").

Last edited:

MankyFiver

"The Idiot" is a fucking masterpiece! Foresees a certain brand of Teutonic post-punk 3 years in advance of its arrival, plus nails dilapidated Wiemar-esque Berlin decadence better than anything... this side of the "Cabaret" Soundtrack perhaps (but I doubt that has anything as magnificently sick and proto-industrial as "Mass Production").

you are so right! i love that record, the slowness of it all, the cover, the grey, the 'what will we do now' feel

i happily love 'times like these' foo fighters

just fantastic chorus, love the whole sound

dont want to hear any more from them and dont believe when people tell me the track is crap cos they are wrong