Dissensus Cassette Swap Parte Deux

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
If you've been following the cassette swap thread then you already know that we're starting up another round. This message is for those of you who haven't been reading what you may have thought of as a dead thread. ;)

I've just been re-reading some of those posts and hadn't realized how many of us didn't receive tapes. This time around I want to make it clear that I am not above nagging you to death or embarassing you here. Believe me, I learned from the best. So please, don't sign-up if you're not going to send a tape.

Having said all that, thank you to those of you who have signed up. Now, who else is in?

Owen? Infinte thought? (The only ones other than me to post a review in the first round, BTW)
K-Punk?
D84?
Henry S?
Gutterbreakz?
Woebot?

Email me at chef dot napalm at gmail dot com with a mailing address.

Do it now.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Is there any guidance/rules, etc? Timeframe?
Same rule as before:

To get a tape, you must send a tape.

Guidelines? Again, as before:

It must be music that you (as the maker) love.
The tape must be a unique mix, one never to be duplicated. No dubbing!
Any art or tracklist should be hand-written/drawn/painted/glued/cast.

Deadlines:

Sign-up complete on the 8th of February. The address of the person to whom you must send your tape will be sent the following day.

All tapes must be in the mail by April 1st. That gives everybody 6 whole weeks.

How does that sound?

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
sounds damn fine and i wish you all the best!

sorry i cocked up the last one so badly..

and i still wonder who got my first emotronix effort :)

i have no tape recorder so will opt out of this round.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I would like to do this but, er, no tape recorder. If, in the next seven days or whatever it is I can see a way that I might be able to lay my hands on one (that takes a small enough amount of effort that I'm likely to actually do it) in the following six weeks then I'll sign up.

zhao

there are no accidents
home-taping-is-killing-musi.gif

uggghh, my cassette recorder is on the blink right now. probably easier just to buy a second hand replacement? not sure if i can be bothered, though. so i guess i'll have to duck out this time..:eek:

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
i have no tape recorder so will opt out of this round.
I would like to do this but, er, no tape recorder.
I would love to participate, but my cassette recorder is stacked away at my parent’s house.
uggghh, my cassette recorder is on the blink right now.
You know, Last round I didn't have one that worked either. I called up a friend to ask if I could borrow his and he ended up GIVING it to me.

Just sayin'...

Mollusc

mollusc
I'd be interested but have no idea where my tape player is- Will I have my head stoved in for suggesting cdrs?

D

dubversion

I missed the previous round - presumably there's a lovable nostalgia / fanboy ethos to making it a tape, not a CD?

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
I'd be interested but have no idea where my tape player is- Will I have my head stoved in for suggesting cdrs?
I missed the previous round - presumably there's a lovable nostalgia / fanboy ethos to making it a tape, not a CD?
Nostalgia was kinda the idea. Recording a tape requires a certain degree of time and care that a number of us felt was missing from the prevalent Rip-List-Burn M.O. of today. When one recieved a tape, one was immediately aware of the fact that it took at least the length of the tape to pick and record the tracks listed, not 5 minutes to download a playlist and burn it to CDR. I for one have chucked more poorly put together CDRs in the last year that I would care to think about, but I still have and play the tape I received in the last round.

I would say, "IF AT ALL POSSIBLE make a tape!" but I don't personally have an issue with sending a CDR in lieu. Others here may feel differently, and they should feel free to express their opinions here. My view is that as long as one takes the time to carefully select the tracks, the order, and provides the obligatory hand-lettered/drawn/painted/cast artwork to go with it, then a CDR is a valid substitute. As my dear mother would say, "Fill it with your heart and soul, and others will love it."

So, let's open it to the floor. CDRs OK?

Does it have to be mixed? Or is record/pause, record/pause OK?
I think the theme here is "Do whatever you want", martin. I had a friend who used to give me tapes full of nothing but the best bits of songs (Grand Master Flash style) and had me search out the full songs on my own.

zhao

there are no accidents
well one thing we've all got is a computer. that's for sure. so why don't those that have rare cassettes just digitize them and we can trade that way?

I'm already doing this... man... i remember those days almost a year ago, when I dipped that first big toe, cautiously, suspisciously, into the bottomless pond of online music sharing...

now I have people from all over the world thanking me for things that they never would have heard of much less checked out if not for my blog, and my own music collection has grown, to massively understate, entirely out of hand. :cool: :rolleyes: :eek:

D

dubversion

Well I do totally understand why tapes would be preferable - it takes a lot more love and care and the recipient can't skip either :D

sadly i'm sans tapedeck, so if the Dissensus massive are happy to allow CD-Rs (with handmade bits'n'bobs and lots of love and care in the making) then I'm in. If not, i'm happy to cheer from the sidelines and demand that people post up their tracklistings :)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"well one thing we've all got is a computer. that's for sure. so why don't those that have rare cassettes just digitize them and we can trade that way?"
I haven't got a computer or a cd player. I'm going to find a tape recorder though...