Caroliner reunites, and The Cooking Stove Beast (1992)

tate

Brown Sugar
Caroliner, or Caroliner Rainbow, as they were also known, have been one of the more enigmatic groups for the past 20+ years, and after a multi-year hiatus, they've gotten back together to play live shows again.

If you've seen them live, you will understand that this is an event.

I saw them open for Come at the Lounge Axe in the winter of 92-93, on Come's first tour, and it was a fairly out there/great fun event. Psychedelic day glo costumes and masks, black light, the entire stage covered in colored panels and hanging props, the music sounded like shrieking noise skronk freakouts for the duration.

They apparently describe their own music as "industrial bluegrass," though they sound more like a psych noise industrial thing with stringed instruments. Fairly indescribable actually, and to be honest, melody does make a pleasant appearance from time to time. They're from the Bay area and often get compared to their neighbors, the Residents and Sun City Girls. Members' identities are apparently secret, and as I mentioned, they performed in masks and costumes. Some members also played in Thinking Fellers' Union Local 282, yet another eclectic early 90s band who made nice records w/ weird orchestrations and odd instrumentation but who were a bit of a snore live (at least when I saw them, circa '95).

I've been listening to Caroliner's album, The Cooking Stove Beast from 1992, and thought that I'd see what they are up to these days with the new live shows . . .

There's an entire post devoted to them here, including coverage of an exhibition that curates their 23-year existence, but which also has a great you tube snippet of their live show (which looks almost exactly the way that they did when I saw them):

http://www.fecalface.com/SF/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=476&Itemid=90

Decentl wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroliner

Anyone interested in discussing Caroliner or their related projects (including Rubber O Cement, Angst Hase Pfeffer Nase, and even Deerhoof)?

MankyFiver

i started to see their name mentioned and they always crop up on noise band lists but never took the plunge, but from what you saying i need to get swimming

any pointers for the dry (sorry couldnt help being lame):confused: :p

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Great!!!!

I saw them in 94 in Tokyo headlining, with Dendoba (Boredoms side project) opening, and possibly something else I can't remember. One of the more memorable shows around for sure.

lissajou

it is at this juncture that i feel compelled to repraznet 4 my
homeshits, possibly the world's only caroliner tribute band:

http://www.myspace.com/telepathikfriend

we almost brought rubber 0 cement to play in our crap town
last night, but couldn't quite get our ducks together.

a sad loss for cowford, truly.

i caught a caroliner tour a few years back, at a polish dance club in greenpoint, bklyn. the people that worked there were positively baffled and most likely annoyed. i remember seeing an argument between the bouncer and one of the bar staff about whether the sound constituted music..
definitely not to be missed, i really enjoyed them. the day-glo costumes and stage set they had remined me of some of the sets in 'beetlejuice'. sort of a comic, disturbing, oversized puppet band. i seem to remember there being a vaugely insectoid motif to the costumes, could be wrong. i think they were touring in a hearse, b/c my friend who books shows in nashville said it broke down outside the venue...

i will never forget my friend buying a record of theirs many years ago. it came in a pizza box, that had been shrink wrapped, and between the plastic and the hand screened box were giant dust bunnies. inside, the record was loose and floating in a pile of detrius that looked like it came off the floor of someones painting studio.
i have a record and a cd that i bought at that show, dont remember being very excited about it. the live show was far superior..