IDM(ish) thread

jasperb

hi I'm new here

I could use some IDM/ambient techno recommendations so maybe we can list our favourites here

here's mine:

proswell - carrot dossier
jello (bola) - voile
am.pm - the ends i & ii
autechre - amber
bola - soup
jake mandell - love songs for machines
ilkae - pistachio island
boulderdash - we never went to koxut island
cim - reference
landau - thepicompromise
slicker - the latest
dribs - doing well without the drabs
esem - serial human
galaktlan - Constance
mouse on mars - autoditacker
ochre - Lemodie
loscil - first narrows
electric birds - gradations
inch time - as the moon draws water
plaid - rest proof clockwork
rei harakami - red curb
secede - tryshasla
String Theory - Anhedonia
vector lovers - capsule for one
b12 - time tourist
global communication - 76.14
higher intelligence agency - freefloater
space time continuum - emit ecaps

PS hi kranky/crisp it's dfc

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I like Froschroom by Mouse On mars, b-side of Mushroom or whatever it was called, great tune, also on the Rost Pocks collection

Guybrush

Dittohead
Yes it is; I’m sorry if I came across as snooty. I thought the question looked a bit like ‘recommend me some rock music’ (the Sum 41 variety? like Little Richard? Cannibal Corpse, even?)—too broadly put to be of much use. Welcome, by the way! :)

jasperb

well I'm not going to make 10 seperate threads for glitchy, dark, melodic, dubby or whatever style of IDM or ambient techno

i made this thread for pretty much anything that fits in the gap between the dancefloor and the chill out room really

zhao

there are no accidents
heavy recommendation on Ben Frost - Theory of Machines.

and all the Raster Noton, 12k stuff you have room in the pod for.

jasperb

cool

haven't heard ben frost

as for raster noton I only know alva noto and ikeda, which aren't really my cup of tea

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
AFX - Hangable Auto Bulb 2
Hugely melodic and emotive drill and bass clunking and wailing.

Aphex Twin - On (muziq remix)
Beats the original by being more cassette low fi and crunchily distorted.

Biosphere - Microgravity
Beautiful outer space atmospheres and techno riddims.

Commander Keen

The most obvious thing missing from your list is probably Burger/Ink - Las Vegas, or any sort of representation of Transmat/Profan/etc. Or even Ferox.

Doof

jasperb

burger ink? doesn't strike me as something that would fit in that list

besides it's not like I tried to make a complete representation of the history of techno or w/e

as for ferox: how about future beat alliance and rei mitsui :)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
cool

haven't heard ben frost

as for raster noton I only know alva noto and ikeda, which aren't really my cup of tea

from looking at your list you might be more into the stuff noto does with ryuichi sakamoto rather than his solo stuff. you checked those?

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
IDM IDM IDM, don't any of you lot stop and think where this dumb ass term came from? It's an utterly useless idea. if you're going to give it a label how about 'Electronica' simple and none specific, offends no-one.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

i don't really listen to much IDM. but i love Opiate. so, uh, there's my recommendation. if it's good enough for bjork, its good enough for anyone.

swears

preppy-kei
Team Doyobi, really underrated and one of the few electronica acts to take 2step as an influence, check out the track "Chevron" from their Cryptoburners album and their DFO:BAD ep. They have a great sense of humour and playfulness without resorting to smug irony, so much more personality than your average po-faced electronica exponent.

zhao

there are no accidents
imho burger/ink aged terribly... but was a pretty dull record to begin with. for dubby techno I would go with Rhythm & Sound / Basic Channel / Maurizio.

Farben / Jelinek and the ~scape click-dub camp still going strong
Anders Illar for darker listening techno.

new Apparat and E. Alien is fucking L.A.M.E. and waaaaaay over rated, but Apparat solo debut album is very, very nice.

L'usine is good enough for you.

new Uusitalo is nice, new V. Delay is rubbish.

Stewart Walker's recent work has become more electronic melodic than his classic minimalism... still excellent for the most part.

giardini di miro is not bad.

xela's new album is listenable.

new isan album is very bad.

but just everyone PLEASE stop listening to anything on Warp, Rephlex (dubstep excepted), and what's that other one...

swears

preppy-kei
but just everyone PLEASE stop listening to anything on Warp, Rephlex (dubstep excepted), and what's that other one...

Skam, Planet Mu? Yeah I think all the most well known of the British electronica labels lost it after maybe 2001/2002... Jackson's album on Warp was pretty good, though. Squarepusher, Aphex, Boards, they're not really pushing things anymore. That last Squarepusher album could've come out in '99, easily.