Great cover versions

Jose Feliciano doing "California Dreaming" especially when he loses it in Spanish at the end, and also the background hiss on the recording which sounds like lawn sprinklers outside in summer.

yours?

Guybrush

Dittohead
Oh, too many to mention, of course. Just to pick one, I thought Rhymefest’s ‘Build Me Up’, from last year, was a vast improvement on Foundation’s ‘Build Me Up Buttercup’.

MankyFiver

the love i lost - sybil
smells like teen spirit -abigail
billie jean - caetano veloso
black hole sun - steve and edye
i wanna be your dog - jacques berrocal
il veliero - chaplin band

leamas

Paul Anka - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Susanna and the Magical Orchestra - Enjoy the Silence

Best cover of love will tear us apart? Never heard the Swans one but all the others i've heard have paled in comparison to the original.

jenks

thread death
that electronic cover of 'there is a light that never goes out' called 'the light 3000' by schneider tm.

Manky Fiver's ones sound interesting, Leamas' ones sound like my personal idea of ironic hell...

That Smiths one was my first tingling of "oh no, the indie people are coming to mess up dance music".
I'm half joking but if you know the words to a smiths song please don't come to my rave.

In my life, dance music and raves remind me of all the excitement and fantastic times when I moved to London in 1991 and indie music reminds of the boredom and shit of smalltown teenage life, going to the indie disco hoping they might play 808 state or public enemy at the end.

mms

sometimes
Jose Feliciano doing "California Dreaming" especially when he loses it in Spanish at the end, and also the background hiss on the recording which sounds like lawn sprinklers outside in summer.

yours?

thats a lovely idea.
His cover of golden lady by stevie wonder is great too, particulary frenzied and fast, again he goes a bit wild at the end.

on another tip anandar shankar's wonderfly screwball cover of light my fire is a killer, wobbling moog, soft muted guitars, strings and sitar, just sheer silly pleasure.

leamas

Manky Fiver's ones sound interesting, Leamas' ones sound like my personal idea of ironic hell...

hey cochis, the best covers always have an element of irony about them, imho...

but, seriously, check the Susanna one, the band's name don't do (some of) their music justice.

that Paul Young one is painful, though not as predictable as Jose Gonzalez' version.

good covers of Radiohead:

ilmiliekki quartet - the tourist
osunlade - everything in its right place

ilmiliekki quartet - the tourist

tangentially, that reminds me of a great cover of 'I only wanna be with you', by The Tourists. (Annie and Dave in their pre-Eurythmics days). my dad bought the 7" and played it to death.

Oh, and could i just chip in with Spacemen 3's headfuckingly, mindmeltingly great cover of Suicide's 'Che'. Thank you.

on another tip anandar shankar's wonderfly screwball cover of light my fire is a killer, wobbling moog, soft muted guitars, strings and sitar, just sheer silly pleasure.

Ah yes...(nods sagely)...from the eponymous album that kicks off with a gonzo versh of Jumpin Jack Flash. there's a whole thread to be had on fave moog cover versions. how about Dick Hyman's monged-out take on 'Give It Up Or Turn It Looose', for starters...

fuck it, here you go...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D934176B67D6F418

I doubt Dick would mind, and J.B. certainly won't, poor bastard.

and here's the ananda shankar tune...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=ABD3A5C5393FC3AB

oooh, i am being a naughty boy tonight.

Last edited:
yeah that dick hyman tune is dope... dunno if it is a cover or just a song with the same bassline as JB.... but who cares?

light my fire has about zillion covers, jose feliciano did it too, which i like. i have a real soft spot for his first album.

i remember the tourists, didnt know it was a cover though, who did it first?

i suppose i must grudgingly admit that the beatles version of twist and shout is alright....

yeah that dick hyman tune is dope... dunno if it is a cover or just a song with the same bassline as JB.... but who cares?

Well, the label credits C.Bobbitt as composer, same as the J.B. original. I did say it was pretty monged-out...

i remember the tourists, didnt know it was a cover though, who did it first?
It was a hit first time for Dusty Springfield in '63. I prefer that slightly edgier new wave delivery on the Tourist's versh. Or maybe i was just brainwashed by my old man. i mean, he really fucking rated it.