reggaeton-Papi Chulo

Eric

Mr Moraigero
does anyone know anything about Papi Chulo? I first heard the name on a mix CD I bought in Mexico early last year---called "Papi Chulo Mix", has various tunes by relatively low-profile people, except for Lorna, whose song "Papi Chulo ... te traigo" was a big tune in Latin America around that time. The mix is compiled by a guy called El Chombo.
Anyway I had not thought much about it until noticing that the Daddy Yankee "Gasolina" remix currently everpresent on US radio also namechecks Papi Chulo in the first few bars. My Spanish is weak enough that I haven't been able to pick out what's being said there though.
anyone have more knowledge?

carlos

manos de piedra
from what i could gather from this article, "papi chulo" is the name of a song (the article also calls it a rhythm- "ritmo") by El Chombo and Lorna. Lorna is the singer, Chombo (real name Rodney Clark from Panama) the DJ/songwriter

"papi chulo" means "hot daddy" in central american / caribbean spanish. "chulo" has different meanings- i know where i'm from (chile) "pichula" is slang for dick- i wonder how much of a word-play is going on here. "pa-pi-chulo" ... not too subtle...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
carlos said:
from what i could gather from this article, "papi chulo" is the name of a song (the article also calls it a rhythm- "ritmo") by El Chombo and Lorna. Lorna is the singer, Chombo (real name Rodney Clark from Panama) the DJ/songwriter

I see! that makes sense. Maybe the chat in the Yankee remix then is saying someting like "this is gonna be the biggest hit since Papi Chulo" ... which would be in character

"papi chulo" means "hot daddy" in central american / caribbean spanish. "chulo" has different meanings- i know where i'm from (chile) "pichula" is slang for dick- i wonder how much of a word-play is going on here. "pa-pi-chulo" ... not too subtle...

yeah. standard level of subtlety for reggaeton lyrics ... :p

carlos

manos de piedra
chombo has a website http://elchombo.com all in spanish but there are some mp3 downloads if you're interested

at the end of the article i linked above it says Chombo has been at the forefront of the reggaeton movement since the "cuentos de la cripta" (tales from the crypt") collection which he compiled in 1997. this was the first major label reggaeton comp.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
What're some good reggaeton comps to buy? I hear it all the time blasting out of people's cars, and I've downloaded a few bits from Soulseek (Tego Calderon, Ivy Queen, Daddy Yankee, etc) but I wouldn't mind getting a full compilation.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Pearsall said:
What're some good reggaeton comps to buy? I hear it all the time blasting out of people's cars, and I've downloaded a few bits from Soulseek (Tego Calderon, Ivy Queen, Daddy Yankee, etc) but I wouldn't mind getting a full compilation.

Recently I bought one called Guatauba: the Kings of NY; also billed as "Daddy Yankee & Family". It's got Yankee, Don Chezina, Eddie D, Tito y Hector, Nicky Jam and a bunch of other guys I never heard of. It's continuous mixed which is kind of nice. Another by Luny Tunes ("La Trayectoria") is more of a scene overview of a little while ago ... a lot of the stuff can be found elsewhere anyway. 2 CDs but maybe not the most interesting, a lot of the songs sound very very similar (though the basic sound is good).

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Eric said:
Recently I bought one called Guatauba: the Kings of NY; also billed as "Daddy Yankee & Family". It's got Yankee, Don Chezina, Eddie D, Tito y Hector, Nicky Jam and a bunch of other guys I never heard of. It's continuous mixed which is kind of nice. Another by Luny Tunes ("La Trayectoria") is more of a scene overview of a little while ago ... a lot of the stuff can be found elsewhere anyway. 2 CDs but maybe not the most interesting, a lot of the songs sound very very similar (though the basic sound is good).

The Guatauba worth getting? How much did it cost you?

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Pearsall said:
The Guatauba worth getting? How much did it cost you?

Yeah, I like it, I think it's worth picking up (some of it is pretty hiphoppy though, but that's OK).
I think I paid like $15, but it was at the local discoteca where nothing is ever discounted, and I'm sure you can find it for cheaper.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Cool, I'll see what I can find locally and if I fail there's always the net.

Not too many Puerto-Ricans around here, although I'm fine if I want Mexican music or Greek folk over cheesy dance beats.

dubplatestyle

i got burnt out on reggaeton really fast. there's some good stuff there, but so many of the rhythms are just old school dancehall 7-beats-to-the-bar clonks. (plus my neighbors behind are doing their level best to make me hate it.)

Manuel

There was this MC called Big Boy, dunno where he's from, but his 'Mis Ojos Lloran Por Tí' was a huge huge commercial radio hit in Mexico (where I'm from) and in pretty much all of Latin America around what, '97 or '98...then he just petered out, but that song'll still rock inebriated un-selfconscious crowds in quite a few countries...very schmaltzy and totally lacking the raunchier, sexual side or thuggishness of most current reggaeton, but still, just thought I'd share a little piece of history

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i've just done an hour-long reggaetòn mix which needs a bit of polishing up but will end up on the blog for download in a few days. living in hackney, east london means i'm probably a little behind on this stuff, but the tunes are good as far as i'm concerned.
not many puerto ricans find their way here and until saturday night when i was djing in brixton, i'd have assumed they were horribly lost if any did. however, i got bored playing ragga and slapped on oye mi canto, which always goes down well with the ladies inna di dance, as it were, then cut into tuya soy by ivy queen, which seemed to keep everyone going pretty happily, so i thought i'd chance my arm.
mixed in dale by don omar and about 10 people in the middle of the floor (pretty jammed by this point - didn't really lose anyone until a bit later when i put some grime on) went absoutely fucking apeshit, punching the air and yelling along to the lyrics... never did get to find out where exactly they were from but they knew every record i put on and, completely unexpectedly, threw me a cold beer over when i really needed one... nice folks, made my evening.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
stelfox said:
i've just done an hour-long reggaetòn mix which needs a bit of polishing up but will end up on the blog for download in a few days. living in hackney, east london means i'm probably a little behind on this stuff, but the tunes are good as far as i'm concerned.
not many puerto ricans find their way here and until saturday night when i was djing in brixton, i'd have assumed they were horribly lost if any did. however, i got bored playing ragga and slapped on oye mi canto, which always goes down well with the ladies inna di dance, as it were, then cut into tuya soy by ivy queen, which seemed to keep everyone going pretty happily, so i thought i'd chance my arm.
mixed in dale by don omar and about 10 people in the middle of the floor (pretty jammed by this point - didn't really lose anyone until a bit later when i put some grime on) went absoutely fucking apeshit, punching the air and yelling along to the lyrics... never did get to find out where exactly they were from but they knew every record i put on and, completely unexpectedly, threw me a cold beer over when i really needed one... nice folks, made my evening.

nice story. it's good to hear that stuff is happening in London on the reggaeton side now ... I hear the Tokyo scene is picking up too these days, some weeklies etc.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i think i'm one of the only two people playing it and i don't play much, so i wouldn't go quite that far!