Vocal Pop Music -- Do you listen to lyrics?

soundslike1981

"Vocal pop music" in the broadest sense--anything that qualifies as a song, with sung/spoken lyrics.

I myself find that I pay almost no attention to lyrics whatsoever in almost any form of vocal pop. And even when I've apparently heard the lyrics well enough that I can/do sing along, I can't say I've often been compelled to think much about what they might mean. In most vocal formats, the lyrics are either so inane or trite (which isn't to say "untrue') that there's really more "meaning" to be gleamed from the vocalising/expression/melody than can be sussed from some sort of literary elucidation of the verbage. Even the "poets" to whom I was drawn as a wee "rockist"--say, Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello--or non-melodic vocal forms (like hip-hop) I listened to prevelantly impressed me more in their faculty for word play and "naturally" working in metrical forms than for any "content"--so even then, I think I was listening for cadence and rhythm, the musical qualities of the sounds of the words.

I'm dating a young woman at present who is virtually the opposite of me--she is a poet and hence listens to primarily vocal pop music, and primarily to the words, I assume for explicit or poetic content. I'll regularly become a bit fogged on walks together, because I become entranced by the sounds of the traffic across the bridges or noise of construction. Which further suggests that for me, music is almost entirely about the sounds, the texture, the atmosphere, the beats.

One of the few songs I can think of at the moment that have struck me and stuck with me over many years due in substantial part to the content of the lyrics is "I Want You" by Elvis Costello. And even this song relies on a repeated, simple phrase ("I want you") that takes on different emotional connotations via lyrical and musica context. On paper, it would hardly read as "poetry".

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I used to talk about this with my mum when I was a teenager, and, for pure pop which translates into poetry, I think this is a great example, it's positively Rimbaudian in the way it sweeps down from the heavens into the streets, and never ever fails to make me cry, not out of sentiment, but out of beauty.

Sparks : The Number One Song In Heaven
(Ron & Russell Mael, Giorgio Moroder)

This is the number one song in heaven
Written, of course, by the mightiest hand
All of the angels are sheep in the fold of their master
They alwas follow the Master and his plan

This is the number one song in heaven
Why are you hearing it now, you ask
Maybe you're closer to here than you imagine
Maybe you're closer to here than you care to be
It's number one, all over heaven
The number one song all over heaven

If you should die before you wake
If you should die while crossing the street
The song that you'll hear, I guarantee

The number one song all over heaven

The one that's the rage up here in the clouds
Loud as a crowd or soft as a doubt
Lyrically weak, but the music's the thing

Gabriel plays it,
God how he plays it
Gabriel plays it,
God how he plays it
Gabriel plays it,
God how he plays it
Gabriel plays it, let's hear him play it

The song filters down, down through the clouds
It reaches the earth and winds all around
And then it breaks up in millions of ways

It goes la, la, la......

In cars it becomes a hit
In your homes it becomes advertisements
And in the streets it becomes the children singing...

Self-reflexively, the song also comments on the fact that they too think that the music and not the lyrics are the key, which just makes the words even better.

shudder

(as I recently mentioned in the Joanna Newsom thread), I don't tend to listen to the lyrics that much, but I sort of wish i did. I realize taht probably a lot of songs I like have crap lyrics, but I often feel kind of stupid when I enthuse about some song, and don't really know what it's about. It's funny, cause I actually quite like a good deal of lyric-heavy music (e.g. Destroyer), but it's really for me more about the sounds of the words then the words themselves, I'm afraid.

This probably ties in to the fact that I've never been big on poetry (although I'm certainly a big reader of prose).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
For me that song is an utterly hermetic perfect jewel, it's the closest I can think of to proof that one can combine large concepts, lyrical movement and emotion into a pop song - I'm talking pop rather than Dylan or Morrissey or people who obviously try and combine what some would see as slightly differing elements.

I listen to lyrics alot - hence liking hiphop and grime, but I was always into poetry.

Chris

fractured oscillations
I listen to the lyrics, but they're never the most important aspect of the music for me. I'm much more interested in how good the beat or melody is, the mood, feel, texture, production, and overall gestalt. The lyrics are usually the last thing I notice. Not to say they don't add another dimension of meaning and emotional resonance to the music, but if the song/track is already effective sonically, I don't really care if the lyrics are a bit daft or awkward. Case in point: New Order.

shudder

I'm getting the sense (although I've always had it) that this board is particularly music (i.e. not lyric) centric. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise, given that dance musics seem to be pretty much the common denominator here. Anyone know any boards on the other side of the divide? I don't think music-centrism is quite particular to music geekery, since you can definitely find those who want to analyse the fuck out of Dylan or whoever...

(Sort of related to the topic at hand, the last track on the latest Sonic Youth LP, Or, ends with the question:
what comes first,
the music or the words?

Also I think that's sort of asked by a fan boy to the object of his fandom. I.e., it's the perennial questions ppl ask of songwriters, which is kinda the other side of our question.)

soundslike1981

I'm getting the sense (although I've always had it) that this board is particularly music (i.e. not lyric) centric. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise, given that dance musics seem to be pretty much the common denominator here. Anyone know any boards on the other side of the divide? I don't think music-centrism is quite particular to music geekery, since you can definitely find those who want to analyse the fuck out of Dylan or whoever...

(Sort of related to the topic at hand, the last track on the latest Sonic Youth LP, Or, ends with the question:

Also I think that's sort of asked by a fan boy to the object of his fandom. I.e., it's the perennial questions ppl ask of songwriters, which is kinda the other side of our question.)

This is going to sound elitist, but honestly I don't mean for it to be, because I myself still love quite a lot of the music that I loved when I was a young lyric-ist (wink term). But I have found that most deeply obsessed/addicted/advanced/pathetic music geeks are a bit more music-centric, rather than interested in elucidating "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue". The only people I know with a life-long, abiding passion for lyrics tend to be musicians who're deeply rooted in singer-songwriter traditions; and maybe a few people who maintain focused obsession with pre-war American folk musics.

I attribute this tendency (for which I only have experiential/anecdotal evidence) to the probability that ultimately, if one wants to listen to all that much music, one is eventually going to enter the worlds of instrumental music (Jazz, classical, modern compositional, field recordings, and for all intents and purposes, electronic dance music and music with lyrics in languages one does not speak). This is related to my sense that eventually, most music geeks move from the sort of fanaticism that allows one to focus myopically on one artist or genre; to the sort of voracious appetite to appreciate as much of the range of human expression as possible. Secondly, I tend to think those who really get into music for the lyrics--via the "poets" of lyricism, like Dylan--will probably eventually move on/return to non-musical poetry, because lyrics in pop music probably couldn't remain that satisfying (in most cases) beyond a certain threshold, because they do tend to be a bit "daft" or simplistic. This will sound almost uselessly obvious--but it's the sound that is music's unique offering, and the only real reason to choose it over poetry or any other related artform. Tihs even seems true in hip-hop/grime, even of the most "conscious" bent, because the "content" is often as formulaic as in love song singer-songwriter croons or hippie protest songs--it's the flow that is appealing, the cleverness of the verbal combinations in their metrical presentation. In fact, the worst hip-hop is often the "message" tracks.

Other lyricists to whom I find myself giving some attention to content: Kraftwerk, pre-war/acoustic blues, the Carter Family, Bjork, Tom Waits, This Heat, Erykah Badu, Stevie Wonder, Sam Phillips, Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Donna Summer, Marvin Gaye, The Zombies, Last Poets. . . but even in all of those cases, I realise I pay more attention to the expressiveness of the voices and the sounds of the words to a much greater degree than the "story". I will admit to having found Modest Mouse to be one of the few redeemable unequivocally "indie rock" acts, largely on the strength of the songwriters "trucker poet" lyrics--they capture a certain feeling of America's geographic wide-openness.

Shudder--sometimes the reason I wish I did listen to lyrics more is because I realise if I make a mix for some people, they probably are going to pay a lot of attention to the lyrics--and either look for subtext (that is, something I'm trying to tell them) or they're going to be dissappointed with the relative inanity of the lyrics. So I'll sometimes preface mixes with the admission that I don't pay attention to lyrics, that I just wanted to share some sounds.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I can't help but listen to lyrics. I guess I focus on other things from time to time, but if there's someone saying words and it's more than a mumble, I always end up listening to the lyrics, thinking about the meanings, the choices, etc.

Whether it has any great impact to my enjoyment I dunno... Probably less than half of the music I listen to has vocalists, and plenty of my favourite songs are fairly banal lyrically.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Most lyrics are simply placeholders for melody and rhythm, or at best a kind of linguistic texture, a further method of demarcating the emotional tone of the piece. How are we defining "pop music" here- would Scott Walker count? He's one of the few people who really seem to labour over lyrical content (above and beyond some kind of verbose Decemberists-esque retrograde "literary" nonsense)... indeed I find it best to listen only to the lyrics or only to the music, as otherwise there is simply too much information to take in-- given his complex use of juxtaposed cut up source material, esoteric antiquated language, slippery first person/third person subjectivity (who exactly is talking now?) and sliding metaphors etc etc...

But to take a more obviously pop-centric example, the lyrics to Cassie's "Me & U" were utterly masterful, totally compelling, taken together with the arrangement and her uninflected, innocent/drugged/bored sounding vocal tone they created a surprisingly subtle and incredibly sinister impression, like mid-period David Lynch scripting a teen drama...

Ultimately its something that you tune into or out of-- dependant on the quality of what you are listening to. Its correct to say that with hip hop/grime a lot of the time the content will be pretty generic and that therefore you appreciate it as a rhythmical tool, on the level of the flow itself, and the way it interacts with the beat... but at its best lyrics are a method of encoding far more information into a given stretch of music, and despite the fact that like most people o this board I listen to mainly instrumental stuff (for exactly the reasons described by Soundslike1981) my very favourite stuff is largely vocal, because at its best it creates more ways of reading the music, (ie creating different subtextual frames) which prolongs the amount of times it can withstand listening to...

Numbers

Lyrics is plain, sonic texture for me, even in very text-focussed genres like grime or hiphop. I hardly ever pay attention to any lyrics, probably because it is too much of an effort to understand them. Never being able to sing along a song is the price of such laziness though. Laziness that gets punished in secondary school where coolness is often -fortunately not exclusively- defined through this activity. But hey, school is out, right?

swears

preppy-kei
I think the actual sound of the voice is as, if not more important than, the lyrics of a song. That has a bigger impact on me.

shudder

But to take a more obviously pop-centric example, the lyrics to Cassie's "Me & U" were utterly masterful, totally compelling, taken together with the arrangement and her uninflected, innocent/drugged/bored sounding vocal tone they created a surprisingly subtle and incredibly sinister impression, like mid-period David Lynch scripting a teen drama...

that's funny you'd mention that one. I luuurve that song, have listened to it 'nuff times, but I couldn't tell what the words were about. And as I said upthread, I sorta regret that.

oh, and soundslike: I agree about Modest Mouse. I remember hearing "Trailer Trash", LOUD, on the soundsystem of a local pizza shop (which, I SWEAR, for the first 9 months was staffed only by socially conscious but really friendly and down to earth DIY punks who played only classic roots reggae and dancehall. HEAVEN), on a dreary rainy providence, RI afternoon, and the lyrics struck me for the first time as quite good.

shudder

was just listening to your excellent blogariddims mix, soundslike, and when Frankie Teardrop came up it struck me as a pretty obvious example of a "song" where lyrics are key. It also scared the fuck out of me, as usual. Thanks a lot. ;) (thank god there's that soothing balm of the Cage afterward)

soundslike1981

was just listening to your excellent blogariddims mix, soundslike, and when Frankie Teardrop came up it struck me as a pretty obvious example of a "song" where lyrics are key. It also scared the fuck out of me, as usual. Thanks a lot. ;) (thank god there's that soothing balm of the Cage afterward)

Yeah, I would definitely cite that one as a song where I pay attention very much to the "story"--though its effectiveness is still probably 90% musical (and, erm, screamical?). (Then again, the vocals still cut across and it's still scary even with the noisy remix of Specials AKA added in). I used to play that one for my unsuspecting friends when we were in our late teens--I'd make them sit in the dark so they'd have no distraction-escape. Always scary as fuck : )

shudder

I used to play that one for my unsuspecting friends when we were in our late teens--I'd make them sit in the dark so they'd have no distraction-escape. Always scary as fuck : )

diabolical!

as contrast, I'm listening to Ege Bamyasi atm, and I have NO IDEA was he's blathering on about!

N

nomadologist

it's so much fun when you finally figure out a Damo Suzuki lyric!! i tend to be someone who only notices lyrics when they're bad enough that they are off-putting to me, or detract from the overall aesthetic quality of what I'm hearing. DS's lyrics are filtered through so many languages as it is, so many mispronunciations and weird syntax, that I never really tried; his singing seems so much about the general momentum of the groove than anything else that it doesn't seem to matter. then i figured out all the lyrics to "mushroom" and i was like "DUHHH!!" they do matter, in the sense that they add to the power of the song. listen hard to them and tell me what you hear--it's fun to compare mislistening.

PS (I understand that Mushroom is from Tago Mago and not Ege Bamyasi, but both are brilliant and worth hearing over and over.)

Last edited: