GhettoTek / B-more Recomendations

wreckTech

Wild Horses
got asked to do a valentines day set of filthy crunk/b-more shit. i love that stuff but i'm a radio dj so my collection is sorta light in terms of the genre. fcc violations and whatnot.

any recomendations as to artists / places to download said ish?

thanks!

ps i still have my dj assault ass n titties original press vinyl; the bside is 'fuck you hoe' and the radio edit is 'suck my toe'. thats funny.

mms

sometimes
dj's godfather - databass records, dj nasty, starsky and clutch, dj deon, dj assault, disco d, (r.i.p.)

http://www.twilight76.com/music/

that stuff.

dunno much about baltimore stuff, the real stuff, but there is all that dodgy spank rock stuff, i don't really dig it personally.

Noah Baby Food

Almost anything on Dance Mania records.

Anything by:
DJ Funk
DJ Deeon
DJ Waxmaster
DJ Gant Man
some of Paul Johnson's stuff
DJ Chip
DJ Slugo
Mr D'e
DJ Surgeon
DJ Clent

other labels: Databasss, Juke Trax, Public Housing, Pro-Jex...some old Relief stuff verges on it too

all these are on the booty/chitown/detroit tip. not so up on the baltimore stuff, I know there's a guy called DJ Technics who's alright.

i love this stuff dude! been singing it's praises and playing it out for ages. it's the best party music going. There's ALWAYS versions of whatever r'n'b or rap tune is big at the time...heard a dope Beyonce one the other day.

DJ Funk fuckin havin' it like a murfucker:

DJ Slugo soundtracking some good dancers:

Slugo stood there DJing with a load of gyaldem shaking on a screen behind him:

N

nomadologist

anyone here from "bootymore" (wince--i've met some people who actually say that, unfortunately) or thereabouts? i've been wondering just how big stuff like spank rock is in the area. it's not necessarily my thing in terms of the lyrics and the shtick but some of the production values are pretty fresh sounding on baltimore club tracks i've heard. i've started hearing more of that sound popping up, even used on MTV commercials and stuff...

remember Mu? liked that album with "jealous kids" on it

ripley

Bmore - DJ Tameil, Rod Lee.. and the mighty Tittsworth
Also Jonny Blaze does some killer tracks with swingjazz and rhumba on top of the bmore break

For mixes and inspiration on the detroit side, Do NOT miss dj family, download his mixes ASAP!
http://www.djfamily.jp

gumdrops

at last! a ghetto tech and bmore thread

ghetto tech (theres a lot of really great stuff but i dont have artist credits for a lot of what i have)
ass and titties
booty bar
gel and weave

bmore: (these might not be the exact titles)

boyfriend
time for the perculator
im a freak
bombin cock
im a freak

straight

wings cru
check turntable lab, theyve got loads in a big grime crunk bmore ghetto section, pretty cheap too in my irish eyes. go for late 90s assault records, havent heard the recent ones but that jefferson ave album was crud, some really weak straight hiphop tracks on it and the last time i heard a dj set he was playing wank 50 cent edits. nut in your eyes good though. i picked up a mix of his (think it was off the chain in the y2k) too that was so ridiculously pitched up it was unlistenable, like chipmunk d+b speeds, the 'comin from the d' mix gives a much nicer (if thats possible) introduction to assault. perculators by cajmere (green velvet) but thats not really what ive been understanding as bmore, i thought we were talking more hollertronix?
And mu? definitely on the wrong, even if awesome, track.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
perculators by cajmere (green velvet) but thats not really what ive been understanding as bmore, i thought we were talking more hollertronix?
And mu? definitely on the wrong, even if awesome, track.

yeah you're right perculator is second wave chicago jacking house.
brilliant track that, cajmere is a don, also his garagey stuff like brighter days, superb.

gumdrops

xpost - yeah im not sure what happened to dj assault. the last mix cd i got of his from a few years back was really dissapointing. very cheap sounding and more hip hop than ghetto tech. shame.

mms

sometimes
xpost - yeah im not sure what happened to dj assault. the last mix cd i got of his from a few years back was really dissapointing. very cheap sounding and more hip hop than ghetto tech. shame.
the guy he used to produce with didn't produce with him anymore. so he went rubbish

hint

party record with a siren
anyone here from "bootymore" (wince--i've met some people who actually say that, unfortunately) or thereabouts? i've been wondering just how big stuff like spank rock is in the area.

There was some friction initially, I think.

Labtekwon did a track with Booman called "Sex Machine" which has a dig at "out-of-towners" making "fake club" in the intro. Since then, there seems to be more of an effort to take advantage of the outside interest and build bridges. Scottie B is out DJing alongside Diplo, for example.

Being able to buy many of the classics as MP3s for $2 in the Unruly Online store is a big step in that direction, certainly. And they're stocking productions from Lowbudget, who is part of the Hollertronix family.

Last edited:

wreckTech

Wild Horses
big ups to everyone!! great help in here; that unruly online shit was just the kind of thing i was looking for.

i'd fuckin love to waltz into TTLab and cop a bunch of their bmore stock but i dont have the $ or the time to do vinyl transfers.

+ me and the gf broke up last weekend so this'll have to be an extra nasty set. either that or i'll just play watch out for the big girl for 90 minutes and cry.

also nomad: another girl i used to date, my dad, and his parents are all from baltimore. im glad i live here instead.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

also nomad: another girl i used to date, my dad, and his parents are all from baltimore. im glad i live here instead.

i knew lots of kids from bethesda and those posh suburbs in college. it's about as far south as i've ever gone to party...kids is way into the "glass" down there

Hi
Please can you let me know about that original press of Ass N Titties.
I understood the original was on the Pimps & Playas EP on Electrofunk and the big hit was the remix on Assault Rifle.
I'd love to know if there's an older one.

Detroit stuff you need to check:

Sole Tech - Jit The Anthem, Sole Waves etc.
There's an album called Back To The Future with all the hits.
Also as DEO they did 2 good 12s on Hydraulic.
They were about the first to do this music.

DataBass & T76 stuff, most of the earlier ones are great. Twilight 76 is more electro, Databass is more ghetto.

Assault - All the stuff produced by Mr De is far superior to after he went solo. De did some good solo stuff.

DJ Marquis - Hands Up, Rock This, Y2K Party etc etc.

Disco D- RIP. His label was GTI, a few good records on there

Nasty - loads of stuf on his MCEC label

Erik Travis - the unsung hero of ghettotech, loads of amazing tracks, his own style. FACT is his label.

DIE - Detroit In Effect, good stuff, more electro-style.

Also you need to play tunes like Nasty Rock by P Crew or Model 500 - No UFOs pitched WAY up.

Chicago - all the stuff everyone mentioned - dancemania, percolator etc. my favourite is Jammin' Gerald.
The original ghetto house tune - Work That Motherfucker by Steve Poindexter on Muzique.

Baltimore - I aint got a clue

hope this is useful...

Hype: any German crew come and hear DJ Godfather at Distillery in Leipzig on the 24th Feb!