Villalobos vs Pinch

mms

sometimes
02/03 - Ricardo Villalobos vs DJ Pinch

ON mary anne hobbs show. bloooooooody hell!

could be interesting and good, could be a mess, anyway you look at it its trying to manufacture something.
may be the equivalent of last years big dubstep event on that show.
but still it's kinda manufactured, will be controversial.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Jesus you lot are moaning bastards.

It will probably just be pinch doing half an hour and Villalobos doing half an hour or something, I doubt they will do 2 for 2 or anything ambitious, anyway, bound to be some great music.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think this week MAH also has Distance and Vex'd discussing their love of avant-garde metal.

:slanted:

mms

sometimes
c'mon marcus, things don't just 'organically' go live on air on the BBC, Mary and team have to put the work in!

That's not what i mean, i mean the situation where villalobos and pinch as a match up is a kind of wish fulfillment of an idea that's been floating around the net for a while

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
That's not what i mean, i mean the situation where villalobos and pinch as a match up is a kind of wish fulfillment of an idea that's been floating around the net for a while
Think of it as an experiment - is there really a compatibility between the two sounds or will it fall on its arse? Is the whole thing just a fantasy for geeks on the internet or could something good really come of it? That's assuming that it really is some sort of b2b situation rather than just two seperate sets, of course...

wreckTech

Wild Horses
whats the standard on mary's show? is it usually just back to back sets or do people tag on the regular?

mms

sometimes
Think of it as an experiment - is there really a compatibility between the two sounds or will it fall on its arse? Is the whole thing just a fantasy for geeks on the internet or could something good really come of it? That's assuming that it really is some sort of b2b situation rather than just two seperate sets, of course...

Yes it's interesting and may be productive, just worried abouy the crossing of these two genres, hearing andy stott's recent take on dubstep, which while it's fine in a basic channel meet dubstep kinda way, it could just lead to a real blanding out... but of course i hope not, i hope it's fantastic.
I'd prefer for dubstep to get livelier and more rhythmically inventive more than anything.
however, saying that pinch and that are exceptional and have common areas where they cross.

nomos

Administrator
it could just lead to a real blanding out... but of course i hope not, i hope it's fantastic.
I'd prefer for dubstep to get livelier and more rhythmically inventive more than anything.
as a side note, mala's 'unexpected' on his myspace (http://www.myspace.com/malamystikz) is an interesting one. i don't know if that minimal influence is actually at work in it, but it's got an affinity to the territory peverelist has been exploring.

S

simon silverdollar

this has got to be villalobos plays one track then pinch plays one track (and so on) thing, hasn't it? otherwise it's just a bit pointless- there's no real reason to have them on the same show otherwise.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think this week MAH also has Distance and Vex'd discussing their love of avant-garde metal.

:slanted:

Whats the issue? If you check out Blissblog they are apparently doing a collaborative mix of dubstep (mostly their own tracks) and metal (Godflesh, Sunn0))), Khanate, Isis etc). Looks to be pretty interesting as this was one pretty obvious thread of outward expansion for dubstep that has yet to be properly picked up upon... to be honest anything which pushes on outwards from Coki-style half step bollocks is a good thing, be that any one of the four main possible directions: minimal, metal, return to 2 step, or vocals/handbag-step (d1 style) --- or any admixture of these elements.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
as a side note, mala's 'unexpected' on his myspace (http://www.myspace.com/malamystikz) is an interesting one. i don't know if that minimal influence is actually at work in it, but it's got an affinity to the territory peverelist has been exploring.

Rhythmically its pretty much a straightforward development of his 4x4 weird-beat style developed on "Bury The Bwoy" (and earlier "Anti-war dub") four to the floor but swung in a non-house manner especially with snare placement...

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
unexpected's an amazing tune, but didn't strike me as minimal influenced as such. be interesting on the villalobos/pinch show to see how the difference in track length is handled - i mean the average dubstep tune is what 4/5 minutes long and the average techno tune is 8+, specially in hands of mr ricardo. I'm getting more excited about this every minute though.

ps. is villalobos doing any dates out when he's over in the uk? i can't find an itinerary of his anywhere on the net.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
yeh i mean its technically possible, but i was thinking more of the format of them doing it like...i duno having the start of a techno tune then fading it out and ahving a step tune run over, then return to the techno or whatever. i'll be quiet. i'm being incoherent.

childrentalking

Villalobos was in the UK a week ago so I'm thinking this might have been recorded then. his calendar is on the Cocoon Bookings website, which you need a password to see, irritatingly.