Jamie T

Woebot

i like this guy, even though he's a wee bit trad, so i think he deserves his own thread

N

nomadologist

i just had to look this person up, because i'd never heard or heard of him, and i thought this was a funny couple of sentences in wikipedia:

Canvas Magazine have described him as "like the bastard lovechild of Billy Bragg and Mike Skinner doing his best Joe Strummer impression" [2]. He has been criticised for being rubbish.

Pretty incisive criticism there! Must. stop. using. wikipedia...

STN

sou'wester
I think he's alright. I like the way he plays an acoustic bass for his live performances.

I'd have to clear a wants list of 1,275,833 records before I'd even think about buying his album though.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I like ‘Oh My Girl’ and, eh, not a whole lot more. I remember being disappointed the album was not the reggae-tinged affair I was wishing for, but a rather everyday-sounding rock album.

swears

preppy-kei
Why does he sing like someone with a serious head injury trying to do a Jamaican accent?
I bet he'd be a tit if you met him.

Woebot

i just had to look this person up, because i'd never heard or heard of him, and i thought this was a funny couple of sentences in wikipedia:

Pretty incisive criticism there! Must. stop. using. wikipedia...

ha! that's actually quite accurate! still i think he's good.

everyone needs to loosen up a bit i reckon! he's just a kid obv. but there's plenty of pathos there.

tatarsky

Awful. Heard him being interviewed on Radio 4 (!) the other day. He's another one of these public school boys engaged in some recreational slumming whilst on a gap year. In fact, I had heard that Goldman Sachs have offered him a career in printing money once he's done with the mockney balladery.

Ok, so that last bit isn't true.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Awful. Heard him being interviewed on Radio 4 (!) the other day. He's another one of these public school boys engaged in some recreational slumming whilst on a gap year. In fact, I had heard that Goldman Sachs have offered him a career in printing money once he's done with the mockney balladery.

Ok, so that last bit isn't true.
Inauthenticity! Inauthenticity! Kill! Kill!

tht

akstavrh
that seems syllogisic and unfair, aren't uppity poshkid tellitlikeitis singersongwriter cunts an archetype themselves

Code:
Calm Down Dearest - Jamie T

Genre/Lang. : Hip-Hop

Big bang, where we going?
What we doing this night?
Feeling drunk already,
Maybe drink got spiked
But, more like the other like
that im just a lightweight
but i dont care man
I been drunk forever, I’m sedated
Hatred, I’m sedated, pages, I’m sedated
Worthwhile stages, cages, and all of my rage

This is a good time
To start dancing to this song man
A good one DJ
Play the record on man

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Why is the new big thing always someone with rich/famous parents and a private education? Are all the petite bourgeoisie and plebs working 50 hours a week to meet the rent and pay off their useless degrees?

tht

akstavrh
there is plenty of shit like hardfi that seems very lower middle class

and hasn't there always been an upper middle classish contingent in english pop, the difference now is that the signifiers are so easily smeared

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Why does he sing like someone with a serious head injury trying to do a Jamaican accent?
I bet he'd be a tit if you met him.

I'm not sure about this - he strikes me as if he might be your mate's younger brother who's a bit of a pranny but will be alright in the end...

crackerjack

Acrtics are posh?

Jamie T is certainly middle class, but are you sure he's ex-public school, or is this just a standard insult chucked at anyone who didn't grow up in a council flat?

Fuck the inverted snobbery, either way. Not sure about the album (his singing voice gets on my tits after a while) but Stella, Salvador and Back In The Game are all ace and the boy's lyrics are invariably worh hearing.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
the performances where he just used his voice and teh acoustic bass were good, but the live band he's got now are utter gash. I have met him, and he is a bit of a prat. Salvador is still a really good song however. I don't think he is a public schoolboy - he speaks like he sings.

crackerjack

the performances where he just used his voice and teh acoustic bass were good, but the live band he's got now are utter gash. I have met him, and he is a bit of a prat. Salvador is still a really good song however. I don't think he is a public schoolboy - he speaks like he sings.

That was my impression too. Standard estuary in other words.