selling vinyl...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i've got about 50 records i want to get rid of, d&b promos, faceless house 12"s or random urban things i've been sent. what's the best way to sell them?

eBay involves the hassle of sending out 50 different records (long)
second hand shops tend to take the p*ss with the price.

any other options?

nomos

Administrator
i did the second hand thing (200 CDs and a stack of vinyl) last time and i've kicked myself ever since. but yeah, ebay for you would mean 50 trips to the post office. if you don't need to unload them quickly, then you could sell them in the discogs marketplace in a more staggered way. or sell as a lot on ebay.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Job lot's probably the way to go.

Car boot / garage sale can be a nice way to spend a Sunday morn. Make a few quid - go for a pub lunch and couple of pints. :D

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Split by genre and sell on't eBay. Sounds like a nondescript collection, but you'd probably get a few quid by doing it that way.

I'm just about to bang a load of stuff up there now after a clearout. No way should you sell 50 records individually, that would be like water torture. Take out the ones you think might be worth something and sell them individually, then group the rest by genre.

It's good fun working out which ones are the valuble ones. Pitting your wits against the market... :cool:

nomos

Administrator
^^ i think i'm going to do this with some old hip hop soon. i've been checking past selling prices on the bigger ones and i think i'll just bunch together the less than stellar ones, maybe planting one or two sought-after ones in there to sweeten it up.

the psychology of the lot

from Pattern Reconition by William Gibson:

"Neither Hobbs nor I had anything sufficiently special to interest our Japanese collector on its own, but by combining available stock, we could employ the psychology of 'the lot.' Collectors behave differently then. 'Konvolut,' the German word for auction lot. I like this word; collectors approach it differently, become tangled in it. They want to believe there is hidden treasure, there."

blubeat

blubeat
I have 4000 to sell!

I did a job lot of 50 on eBay which contained some classics (Orbital "Chime" white label, Loads of Sabres of Paradise whites) and got about £40 = less than 99p per track, Although I just want shot I do want to try and reclaim some money!

I am currently cataloging them as Hard To Find Records (htfr.co.uk) have a lot of my tunes listed on their wanted section. I've had mixed reports of HTFR but I will give them a go with a batch of 100-200 and see how we go.

gumdrops

i dont know if its just what im selling but there was a time where you could get more money for just normal 'big' major mainstream retail cds you had been sent that you didnt want on ebay
but now cos everything is so bloody cheap on amazon or in the supermarkets, its hard to get more than 3 quid for say, a fergie or lemar album
other releases in general as well seem to be harder to shift, unless theyre rare, very coveted, or perhaps, promos that arent yet released
:(

crackerjack

i dont know if its just what im selling but there was a time where you could get more money for just normal 'big' major mainstream retail cds you had been sent that you didnt want on ebay
but now cos everything is so bloody cheap on amazon or in the supermarkets, its hard to get more than 3 quid for say, a fergie or lemar album
other releases in general as well seem to be harder to shift, unless theyre rare, very coveted, or perhaps, promos that arent yet released
:(

And the promos that aren't released yet will get you chucked off ebay and possibly receiving legal letters from the record company (not that i'd do that kinda thing, of course, but I've heard EMI are particularly hot on that).

eBay prices have collapsed on new CDs. Just one year ago I'd get £7-8 on average for a known (not famous, just someone with fans) act. Now i stick most of them on £4.99 Buy Now.

crackerjack

You can still get decent money for old records on eBay. I stuck 50 on last week, nothing less than £4, and sold 30 of them. Made almost £300 in total.

jahquarius

ByTown's Finest
discogs will tell you if there's a market for a given 12"... and you can sell them on there too. it may take a while, but you'll get more money than in a shop. still, you'd have to post em.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I got a stall at a couple of record fairs - there's a regular one in Camden. I put about £30 down and sold over £300 worth of records. The only trouble though, is you can end up coming back with other records instead.

Leo

An ailing friend asked me to sell his rare vinyl, mostly punk and grunge 7" singles (including this!). Anyone have experience and advice selling rare stuff online? Is it better to go with Discogs or eBay? Nothing else is as rare as that one, but a number of them go for $75-100 on Discogs. Appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited: