Ricardo Villalobos

Backjob

Had "Au harem d'archimede" for a while and thought it was a bit meh. Just listened to it on proper speakers instead of headphones for the first time.

HOLY FUCK.

The sub-bass on this is absolutely monstrous. Suddenly it all works. It doesn't make sense, but it works.

Is Villalobos an alien? It really is the most weird dance music I think I've ever heard that can still qualify as dance, and also be like proper dance for fucked people instead of "conceptually but not actually" dance like tigerbeat and AFX.

mms

sometimes
yeah i rate him, complex stuff but still enjoyable as dance music, apparently it was ketamine that helped it along

dubplatestyle

villalobos albums are all but poiintless without headphones. (though i find they also work at very low volume on a stereo very close to your head as you're going to sleep, though i suppose that's the same principle in a way.) but i still find the new one a bit dry.

on the recorded evidence i've heard, he's a helluva dj and world's away from the dessicated-ness of his albums.

mpc

wasteman
"Au harem...." is extremely minimal. at least you could stick on a couple to almost sing along to on the old album.