"The problem maker in your head."

swears

preppy-kei
Heard/read this phrase a few times, what does it refer to? I gather it comes from some strain of 80s pomo thought.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think it just refers to the parts of your mind that dwell pointlessly on worries and create anxiety. Don't see how it's got anything to do with poomoo.

Were you thinking of the policeman inside all our heads, the one that must be destroyed? Who said that? Was it Abbie Hoffman?

Jaie Miller

I think that its some what like telling a child to go and get something and having the child complain for a longer time than it would have taken to the child to get whatever it was...maybe??

Or like the guy in fight club who beats himself up thinking that he's beating up someone else... HA! maybe not!!

I think it just refers to the parts of your mind that dwell pointlessly on worries and create anxiety. Don't see how it's got anything to do with poomoo.

Were you thinking of the policeman inside all our heads, the one that must be destroyed? Who said that? Was it Abbie Hoffman?

Its possible it was Hoffman, though it remains an unattributed slogan from the 1960s civil rights movement. Nevertheless, precursors to the slogan would suggest that Althusser's concept of interpellation - as he illustrated by the example of a person, the ideological subject, turning upon hearing a police whistle - as well as the super-ego, and the Big Other, are also relevant to its origin.

DP09.jpg

And from a previous Dissensus thread:

Adam Curtis' acclaimed series examines the rise of the all-consuming self against the backdrop of the Freud dynasty.

Part III Of IV - There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads: He Must Be Destroyed

American corporations realised that self was not a threat but their greatest opportunity. It was in their interest to encourage people to feel they were unique individuals and then sell them ways to express that individuality. To do this they turned to techniques developed by Freudian psychoanalysts to read the inner desires of the new self.​