Mr Fingers / Larry Heard

elgato

I just dont know
so he's obviously a don

yet i know so little about him

wheres a good place to start? unmissable 12s? good CD compilations?

i only own Can You Feel It

swears

preppy-kei
"Washing Machine" a perfect example of how weird a lot of early house tracks were before the genre became so standardised.

elgato

I just dont know
yeh thats a big track ive pondered upon purchase a number of times but never done it. so freaky. i guess it probably has a lot to do with less quantised and precise programming techniques. also the man clearly has slightly above average soul and funk in his blood!

crackerjack

There was a fingers Inc LP around the 88/89 (black sleeve, can't remember the name, but might've been vinyl only) which a lot of people thought was the d's bs, though the only time I listened to it, it sounded very samey.
he made more soulful stuff in the 90s, which some people swore by (mostly the same kinda people who called garage nu-soul), though it never did ish to me

mms

sometimes
there is a record called 'another side' by fingers inc (dj international label imo) with robert owens etc, lovely - was quite easy to get i think - perfect record, quite dated now but who cares.
there was a record called classic fingers - the us triple vinyl on 'la casa' was the one to get - the uk version on black market was a single vinyl- had all the bits including the awesome 'stars' .
the gherkin jerks stuff is great too, lady garage bits.

jack

Mr. White

He's just done a new acid-y track with a singer called Mr White that is just amazing.

childrentalking

the track that inspired this thread, I believe... and actually my favourite Heard ever! albeit largely due to the circumstances I first heard it in

I can't believe nobody mentions Amnesia before Bleep....
An absolutely essential album for anyone even slightly into any electronic music.
Stars, Waterfalls, Can You Feel It, Washing Machine.... zillions of classic jams.
http://www.discogs.com/release/4518

I'm not sure about lady garage from Gherkin Jerks, maybe you are right MMS, but the one I've got is pure 707 flanger and bleep weird techno goodness. It got re-issued a couple of years ago on Alleviated.
http://www.discogs.com/release/37438
http://www.discogs.com/release/34024

Not that I don't like garage.... Another Side is the Fingers Inc double LP with 3 sides of Fingers Inc vocally stuff (Robert Owens etc) and one side on Mr Fingers classics (washing machine can you feel it etc again)

Basically Amnesia contains all the essential ones, then you can start getting the rare 12s if you've got £80+ to drop on 12 inches..... :-/

The best of that MMS mentions is good as well obviously.
http://www.discogs.com/release/35729

bruno

est malade
I can't believe nobody mentions Amnesia before Bleep....
that it's impossible to find may have something to do with it. i tried! the tracklist on that one is amazing.

i would pick beyond the clouds, stars and never no more lonely, these three are bliss. and theme from guidance is quite good.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I really like Sceneries Not Songs and Alien LP. Even though these are hardly danceable, they're almost a strange kind of synthetic soul music with not too much kick drums, and piano solos that meander like a space-walk. Deeply blissed out, really positive vibes. Somehow it works, it's got a real poignance to it, even thought I usually find that sort of thing soporific.

I also love him when he sings. "What About This Love" is one of my favorite house/garage tracks of all time, an absolute killer, and I even quite like "Corner Called Jazz", which is a somewhat pop-house track from the late 80s.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Alien seconded...my first reaction upon hearing it way back was to marvel at how Gary Numan it sounded...

so, my fave Heard tracks are the more galactic ones, like "Black Oceans" and "Distant Planet"...but I do have a soft spot for "What About This Love", which is equally at home in a club or on a (gulp) smooth jazz radio station...I also love "Gallimaufrey Gallery", even though I'm sure I've butchered the spelling...seems like a great place...

don't know if it's because he's also from Chicago, but I can easily see Larry Heard disappearing for a couple of decades, and then pulling a Terry Callier-style comeback...

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
wow i just got sun can't compare...first larry heard tune i've er....heard. It's well good. Downloading one of his mixes from the deep house page, looking forward to hearing that. Dissensus comes through again!

EDIT: yeah this mix is amazing.

Last edited: