PDA

View Full Version : what did you listen to today?

Pages : [1] 2

machine hugger
22-10-2004, 06:52 AM
me:

Isis-Panopticon
Ed Rush/Optical-Out of the Box
Sadies-favorite coulours
Unclassics-Morgan Geist

Maybe you bought it or maybe it came through a promo stack.
BTW I really want to hear that african psychedelic comp.
and yes I realise we all hear too much everyday.

down to it- I need to hear some good stuff. Cheers.

Backjob
22-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Michael Mayer - "Touch" a couple of times through. It's nice but not as incredible as I hoped it'd be. A bit too trancey and linear for my liking.

Basteroid - the first Areal EP. This is great. Shades of early dj Rush but with added emotional pianos and clicky electro beats laid over 4/4 kicks. Really fresh.

Ada - "Lovelace"

Tinchy Strider over "Screwface" riddim - monstrous monstrous track. Huge pummelling bass from five different directions at once, like being beaten over the head with low frequencies. I've heard him do that chat before, over the dj mondie track, but this pisses all over it.

machine hugger
22-10-2004, 10:17 AM
that Ada is nice.

simon silverdollar
22-10-2004, 10:59 AM
ada is SO good. really, really loving that neo-kompkat-esque romantic, macro, techno + house that breaks yr heart, at the moment.

yesterday i listened to;
-arve henriksen's new one [good, but not as good as the boomkat review made it out to be]
-the knife, 'heart beats [rex the dog mix], over and over, which i downloaded from stypod and might be the greatest, most moving song of all time. it's like being at the triumphant end of an 80s teen movie, driving into the sunset with the girl/boy of yr dreams, for 6 glorious minutes.
- favela funk courtesy simon r, but i'm saving writing about that for my blog innit.
-an old logan sama tape where he plays the delicious track 'baby' where davinche makes like fennesz and wiley sounds so so sad.

originaldrum
22-10-2004, 11:22 AM
mixmaster mikes "bangzilla" & a little bit of a solo acoustic version of tracey "i'm not a man" chapman's - takin about a revolution, at an irish pub after work eh!

nonightsweats
22-10-2004, 11:24 AM
5 hours commuting leads to :

crosby / nash : has some very good songs, much to my amazement

mandarin - fast present future : unexpectedly quite good

parkins / mori - phantom orchard : just lovely

soulwax - any minute now : god, i hate this saturated rock production

a short apnea - just arrived : still not sure

juana molina - segundo : fab drones and gorgeous melodies

Mister Lex
22-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Slimzee's bingo beats vol.3 mix, which is just the thing for Friday morning.
Also can't get Wonder feat. Kano's "What have you done?" out of my head. Top tune.

mms
22-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Also can't get Wonder feat. Kano's "What have you done?" out of my head. Top tune.

oh yes.

I'm listening to john martyn.

be.jazz
22-10-2004, 01:54 PM
So far today:
The Psychedlic Sounds of West Africa comp - excellent, if not particularly psych, IMO.
Nils Petter Molvaer "Streamer" - not much of interest has happened since "Solid Ether."
Roy Hargrove "Strength EP" - two fantastic, relentless funk tracks at the beginning (the first of which ties in nicely with the above-mentioned comp), the remaining 30 minutes range from mediocre to good.

Intend to listen to some Andrew Hill later on.

Hadean
22-10-2004, 02:03 PM
haven't listened to, but have been thinking about The Damned - Strawberries and John Martyn - One World, two albums I've repeatedly heard good things about and am just now getting round to

satanmcnugget
22-10-2004, 10:14 PM
geez, still early...listened to Roni Size and Dennis Brown this morning before work

wait...listened to Steve Reich while going to sleep last night...kinda counts

Flyboy
23-10-2004, 12:12 AM
In the last 24 hours...

Last night, was listening to the Fiery Furnaces' Blueberry Boat , in particular the sequence 'Paw Paw Tree' > 'My Dog Was Lost But Now He's Found' > 'Mason City'.

Today I've been listening to some Wu-Tang (in preparation for when I get hold of their new live album): a bit of Only Built 4 Cuban Linx on the way to work, a bit of Iron Flag on the way home.

Then this evening I've been listening to various things on Fluxblog and Byron Bitchlaces (http://shoelaces.typepad.com/) , notably 'Gay Boy' by Futon and 'Heiden' by Michael Mayer. And the three songs by The Mean Corner available for download from their website (http://www.thepirateship.org/themeancorner.htm) - I guess the Mean Corner are my discovery of the day...

DavidD
23-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Jim Jones - "Crunk Muzik"

This would be the biggest hit if they'd drop it as a single.

robin
23-10-2004, 05:52 PM
assorted big l freestyles
a rap show on 1xtra
loop finding jazz by jan jenelick (really getting into this)
money jungle by duke ellington,mingus and max roach (i think its max roach anyway)
various tracks off supreme clientele and wu tang forever this morning in my mates house before going home to bed

kek-w
23-10-2004, 11:00 PM
"Empire/Dragon" by Circle for about the fifth bloody day inna row...must put something else on the deck.

In the car: various freebie CDs from the daily mirror, etc. My daughter's favourite (and mine): "Video killed the radio star" by Buggles. Honourable mentions: "99 Red Balloons", "The Final Countdown" and "Word Up".

robin
24-10-2004, 01:02 AM
you know i never heard word up until this august?
i was at a free party on raithlin island off the coast of northern island and as i was looking for whoever had the weed i walked past a rig that was blaring it
i was fairly ambushed by the funk
what a song!
i initially thought it was prince
no idea how i managed to avoid it until the age of 22...

francesco
24-10-2004, 01:05 AM
... just got a parcel of newly purchased cd's today and give to all a (undeep) listen all the day while mostly cleaning the house and cooking, in this order:

virgin prunes - a new form of beauty
king tubby - in fine style
gorguts - obscura
indiepop vol.1 (rough trade shop aa.vv.)
jah wobble - i could have been a contender
alice coltrane - lord of lord

about 10 hours of background music!!! (will give a deep listen in the next days...)
ciao da francesco

machine hugger
24-10-2004, 01:50 AM
I love hearin these!!

today is my electro freak out day. Maybe it's the cold, dark weather we are havin' out here. :rolleyes:

Hmmm..

Lory D style techno
Dopplereffekt
Omd (Maid of Orleans)
Clone comp-We Still Kill the Old Way.

nothing new but hey
still love it

machine hugger
24-10-2004, 01:51 AM
aren't the Virgin Prunes going through a big re-issue? must get.

JFreeze
24-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Ada's new record, the Get Physical catalog, and live sets from Magda.

Hadean
24-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Francesco, I'm jealous of you hearing "Sleep Fantasy Dream" for the first time (if it is)

francesco
24-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Yes is the firt time i listened to Virgin Prunes, it's not like "a new form of beauty" was so easily available before this reissue, and i should say i'm amazed, like, all these (too much!) years of beeing a fan of post punk and Coil and various industrial esoterica and i never have a chance to listen to them! Sleep Fantasy Dream is incredible but so also Come to Daddy, all the (double) CD is amazing really. Now i wonder if to buy other reissues ("if i die i die" for example)... probably yes (and i have right now a "must buy" list that is putting me in total poverty....)
the alice coltrane "lord of lord" is another masterpiece but "friendly galaxy" and "universal consciousness" are probably superior.
still not know what to think of the Jah Wobble 3cd set. on the good news is was not to expensive at all, then he his my favorite bass player (and Keith Levine is my favorite guitar player...) for his work in PIL and ORB Blue Room (also in Primal Scream Screamadelica Higher DUB Symphony). I was maybe hoping more of things like the collaborations with Czukay and Liebezeit, but mostly is bland triphop, bland ambient dub (it is 90% track from the '90, indeed) and bland etnofusion... maybe it will grow on me.
The Indiepop 01 compilation from Rough Trade/Mute look gorgeus, i loved their previous Post Punk/Rock'n'Roll/country/electronica compilations: not perfect neither "definitive", but full of extraordinary tracks (and some dull ones...). This kind of compilation needs time to be unfolded., but i was shocked to hear the early single of My Bloody Valentine "paint a rainbow": fantastic, but the sound not like MBV you know, they sound so young and naive.

ciao da francesco.

grimly fiendish
24-10-2004, 01:19 PM
yesterday ...

in the car, first thing, on a drive to a pier:

joy division: substance (mrs fiendish's choice)
johnny cash: the man comes around

back home:

kitchens of distinction: love is hell
the cure: faith

on the bus, going out:

depeche mode: construction time again

in the pub:

aidan moffat DJing an awesome set, including black sabbath, pil and !!!

in a club:

some seventies soul. some eighties synthpop. some other stuff that i've forgotten

today

nothing yet. uuurgh, my head

mms
24-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Metal boys feat china, tokyo airport, some of it is wicked.
the panacea to a light night jazz fusion session last night with a mate who is very into it all.

sammy garraluga
05-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Slimzee's bingo beats vol.3 mix, which is just the thing for Friday morning.

I still need to get this back from my friend. Ace.

Nick Gutterbreakz
05-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Last 24 hours...

The Zodiac - Cosmic Sounds
Emil Richards - Stones
Hal Blaine - Psychedelic Percussion

(all on a late '60s acid freakout tip)

'James Brown Is Dead' by LA Style
'Mindcontroller' by 80 Aum
'Insomniak' by DJPC

(all early 90's euro Hardcore)

the only 'current' stuff being some Jimmy Edgar

but as for tomorrow... ?

john eden
05-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Goldfrapp - Black Cherry
Saxon Studio International vs Ghetto Tone 1983: "If yah hear me and yu love it say FORWARD!!!" :cool:

mms
05-11-2004, 01:03 PM
greetings from la tim buckley, great but i'm suspicious of him very much.
mark van hoen , the warmth inside you, a good if not groundbreaking new cd from the guy behind locust
spit kode 9 and daddie g- ace angry dubstep with basic channelisms and refried lyrics from welcome to the terrordome
the au harem d'archimede ricardo villalobos, darker and more abstract second album from this guy, not sure what to make of it yet.
exotic moog, martin denny, a fantastic moog album, really great, puts me in a good mood.

Nick Gutterbreakz
05-11-2004, 01:25 PM
exotic moog, martin denny, a fantastic moog album, really great, puts me in a good mood.

yeh, that's beauty - one of my fave Moog albums too :p

be.jazz
05-11-2004, 01:26 PM
greetings from la tim buckley, great but i'm suspicious of him very much.
Why is that? I like "Greetings" a lot, as well as a more acoustic/folksy comp I have, but picked up some others recently that seem a bit iffy ("Goodbye and Hello").

mms
05-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Why is that? I like "Greetings" a lot, as well as a more acoustic/folksy comp I have, but picked up some others recently that seem a bit iffy ("Goodbye and Hello").

cos he's quite obviously a dick, an arrogant, mysogynist twart and there are elements of the record that ape blues singers and stereotypes of black men in such a way that he's almost playing a reverse minstrel if you see what i mean. I guess unconciously one of the things that i look for in music regardless of melodies and exciting music is empathy, would i get on with this person on any level, are they fascinating at all? On this record at least, other records he's less hateable but i find it hard to get over the fact that he is such an asshole.

nick.K
05-11-2004, 01:49 PM
listening to the radio for the past three days, (my hard-drives are dead) so it's been static, news from the US, classical, snatches of soul, dreary ol' rawk, but I've enjoyed all the raw garage.

sorted some speakers/amp now and I've listened to the Wu-Tang Hits album, diggin Janet Jackson - All Nite, anything by Juan Maclean, outkast, the latest mayer, and hours of john peel that I brought on disc. And not enough house...

captain easychord
05-11-2004, 05:01 PM
an old logan sama tape where he plays the delicious track 'baby' where davinche makes like fennesz and wiley sounds so so sad.

that tune is wicked! do you like the second version with kano? also on that tip... the last track on the creeper tape. i don't know what it's called, but it's got that same choppy, crystalline glimmer. "all the time" i guess? those helicopter noises are off the hinges.

be.jazz
05-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Listened to Fennesz's "Venice" yesterday... the first half, at least, is kind of new age for hipsters, IMO.

mms
05-11-2004, 08:06 PM
listening to the new villalobos cd again and i've got to say it is fantastic, i'm not a massive fan of minimaly techno but this is ace, really pulls you in, all shading and turning surfaces, funky and supple with the south american instrumentation of the first lp playing a very abstract part. It's lovely listening to it as the fireworks explode outside.

be.jazz
05-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Disc 5 of "The Complete Sonny Rollins Riverside & Contemporary Recordings." Kind of going into Rollins in-depth for the first time, flabbergastation is the dominant feeling.

seahorsegenius
06-11-2004, 08:01 PM
annie - anniemal
growing - the soul of the rainbow and the harmony of light
the avalanches - since i left you
yellow swans - bring the neon war home
animal collective - live on the breeze block

:p :mad: :rolleyes: :eek:

machine hugger
06-11-2004, 09:43 PM
a DOWNLOADED mix by some guys called Nailer? good and it runs along the same path as Slimzees Bingo mix but a bit slower and a bit more sublo than upper jungle sped bpm. Tink I got it from UK Dance?? Ace.
Jammin
Menta
Mark One
Artwork
Horsepower...ya' get the point! Any info on these guys?

C93-Thunder Perfect Mind. Nuff said!

the neighbors stop hammering out nails to their new part of the house so I now get some good ole' quiet time.

dubversion
06-11-2004, 11:58 PM
lots of dirty garage (in the old sense) - thee headcoats, thee headcoatees etc. a halfway decent album of Unitone Hi Fi remixes and the excellent Gangsta Blues album by Tanya Stephens..

matt b
08-11-2004, 10:11 AM
just completed a reggae tape for a friend, so this was i was listening to yesterday:

willie williams- ‘armegideon time (disco mix)’
wayne jarrett- ‘magic in the air’
the royals- ‘pick up the pieces’/ i-roy-'monkey fashion'
horace andy- ‘wise man’/ version
bunny & ricky- ‘freedom fighter’/ version
hugh mundell- ‘rasta have the handle’ / version
sugar minott- ‘jah jah rule’ / brigadier jerry- ‘what kind of world’
echo minott- ‘what the hell’ / lady june- ‘tell you what police can do’
risto benji-'gi mi di money' / pinchers-'no borrow gun'
ninjaman & gregory isaacs- 'tun to the father' (incidently, gregory's picture on this lp looks like the an 'after' image from the recent anti-drugs 'heroin makes you really ugly and mashed up' photo campaign)
a. jones & the ma-kaya crew-'jah bless i'
jah manya-'i try'
lyrical benjie-'ten plagues'
hughie isachaar-'mass destruction'
naph-tali-'one of these days'
rod taylor-'don't leave me' / future trouble-'jah bless me'/ ranking joe-'one jah'
ayo-'i love you'

Jay Vee
08-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Woke up to Wasteland live then various Italo things on the way to work ("Mr. Game"/"We Just"/"Tequila") then a (bad) mix of an Italo track I recently made followed by EPMD Classics and now it's Francois De Roubaix' "L'Homme Orchestre" sdtrk.

nomos
08-11-2004, 10:24 PM
My landlord having sex. Again.

machine hugger
09-11-2004, 08:20 AM
oooh, send a field recording of it to the Smithsonian.

machine hugger
09-11-2004, 08:28 AM
and thanks to the miami bass thread I'm now re-checkin' my post by listening to Tipper Sound Off. I'm right. Dubsteppin it goes.

puretokyo
10-11-2004, 06:40 AM
Junior Boys "Last Exit" 2004
Elvis Presley "Elvis at Sun" 1955/2004
Cry-Baby OST ("Please Mr Jailer") 1990
Frisco Kid "Bashment Time" 2004?
Bookshelf Riddim Version
Dougla Riddim Version
C4 Riddim Version
Butta Riddim Version
Macka Diamond "Try Wid Him" 2004
The Birthday Party "Live 79-82" 1999
Ghostface Killah "My Guitar" and other unreleased tracks from "Pretty Toney" 2004

Just call me varied.

originaldrum
10-11-2004, 08:07 AM
The Birthday Party "Live 79-82" 1999

go on!

Brother Stoney - Boney & Stoney EP
Unorthodox Fam on 1extra

cortempond
11-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Started with some Behemoth
Good stuff to get you going in the morning.

Then settled down at work with:

Even as we speak - Feral Pop Frenzy
Jandek- Chair Beside A Window
Tim Hecker - Mirages
Paulinho Da Viola - ST
Joe Gibbs - White Label Dubs
Danny Krivit - Grass Roots Comp.
Faust IV

At home I've been playing Cannonball Adderley (David Axelrod produced), Mercy Mercy Mercy and 74 Miles Away.

cortempond
11-11-2004, 07:42 PM
KOD were incredible, saw them twice in concert and Julian was able to get that guitar sound perfect. It's too bad they broke up. Their last album had some brilliant songs on it, but Love is Hell, with Third Time, Mainly Mornings, and Prize is flawless. Is the CD the one with the extra tracks on it?

Sadly, they were lumped into the whole shoegazer set, with Pale Saints, Ride, Chapterhouse, MBV, but they actually wrote good songs.

There's a two disc KOD set with an extra disc of rarities, but I don't know if I'm going to pick it up.

Are you going to pick up the Depeche Mode remix set? What does anyone think about it, other than flogging a dead horse into glue?

yesterday ...

in the car, first thing, on a drive to a pier:

joy division: substance (mrs fiendish's choice)
johnny cash: the man comes around

back home:

kitchens of distinction: love is hell
the cure: faith

on the bus, going out:

depeche mode: construction time again

in the pub:

aidan moffat DJing an awesome set, including black sabbath, pil and !!!

in a club:

some seventies soul. some eighties synthpop. some other stuff that i've forgotten

today

nothing yet. uuurgh, my head

mms
11-11-2004, 08:48 PM
parliament and funkadelic, and wondering why the fk there aren't any incredible mad bands like this (and don't say outkast)

that mathew jonson mix

a new album by harmonic 33 aka mark pritchard the forgotten man of mid 90's idm and one half of global communications on warp soon. It's a library music album with cinematic overtones and it's excellent and sounds very authentic.

matt b
12-11-2004, 08:43 AM
a new album by harmonic 33 aka mark pritchard the forgotten man of mid 90's idm.

or would that be 'early '90s electronica'? ;)

mms
12-11-2004, 10:22 AM
or would that be 'early '90s electronica'? ;)

its a good record regardless

machine hugger
12-11-2004, 10:51 AM
I just saw the most fun fun band tonight. San Jose can really be fun. Problem is I'm really fucking drunk and can't recollect anything. Cheers.

shit, the Golden Gods, that's the name. Cockrockers.

puretokyo
12-11-2004, 12:21 PM
a new album by harmonic 33 aka mark pritchard the forgotten man of mid 90's idm and one half of global communications on warp soon. It's a library music album with cinematic overtones and it's excellent and sounds very authentic.

Ooooh. Bated breath.

Jim Daze
12-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Y-Pants , awesome 99 records biznizz

Henry Cow, gotta persevere with this

loads of Serge Gainsbourg, "Lemon Incest" is my favourite, second to "Harley Davidson"

oh and I heard the sequel to the "Forward" track by Lethal Bizzle etc on a pirate the other night, Jamaka B lets rip once more...perhaps it's time to move on now.

polystyle desu
12-11-2004, 04:40 PM
On this chilly wet morning , with first edge of winter snow just to the North of city ,
listening to

the ol' "B2 Unit" album by Sakamoto
followed by Weather Report's "Black Market"

uncannydan
15-11-2004, 03:50 AM
the bartlebees - you're so beautiful 7"
the passage - degenerates lp
the wake - here comes everybody + singles (ltm reissue)
television personalities - smashing time 7"

holla at me cherry red, little teddy, and factory

grimly fiendish
18-11-2004, 11:02 PM
KOD were incredible, saw them twice in concert and Julian was able to get that guitar sound perfect. It's too bad they broke up.

they were absolutely the soundtrack to my late teenage years, although i must admit they don't now resonate emotionally in the same way. i saw them live once, at king tut's in glasgow circa 1994: they were absolutely incandescent, so good i missed the last bus home to edinburgh in order to see the encore. rock!

they also had the best strobe light ever (although OMD in 1991 run them close). it was like the end of eraserhead.

i haven't got the rarities CD thing, but my friend andrew (who has a wonderful band called swimmer one, who don't sound anything like KoD but are shot through with their influence nevertheless) did me a tape of various B-sides etc. i must dig it out.

Are you going to pick up the Depeche Mode remix set? What does anyone think about it, other than flogging a dead horse into glue?

hmmmm. it's sitting there in the iTunes music store, daring me to buy it. but i haven't succumbed yet. when i posted that last message, i was rediscovering my immense (and partly forgotten) love for the mode: however, from what i've heard i don't think i hear/enjoy the same things about their music as most of their remixers.

that said: i know one day i'll be bored and i'll download it. there's a richard x mix of enjoy the silence that i'd quite like to hear, but i don't think it's on the album.

eightbit
19-11-2004, 12:52 AM

I was a huge DM fan back in my teens, with Violator still being one of my most listened to discs. The remix collection is okay. Not great. Most of them I already had on other releases.

The one track that stands apart is Goldfrapps remix of Halo. Really seem to like that one for some reason.

nick.K
19-11-2004, 03:31 AM
listening to st etienne / chet baker / juvenile / alan parsons / pulp / soft pink truth / MIA vs Diplo / some choice dylan and the new gwen stefani album + a live sam cooke set / jim white / al green / and all the stuff in my inbox, and it's great!

machine hugger
19-11-2004, 07:53 AM
:D
Chet Baker? me too!

machine hugger
19-11-2004, 08:22 AM
kinda bummed because I really want to hear My Funny Valentine right now but it isn't on my disc.

machine hugger
19-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Grime 2.

I did kinda diss it at first. But we sometimes have a change of heart. ??

luka
19-11-2004, 09:25 AM
oi kilroy! good on ya for listening to sam cooke. he's big like the eifell tower. i want to get that live at the harlem square club.

stelfox
19-11-2004, 10:38 AM
on the way to work this morning...

dj rupture - musquito
sasha and ivy queen - dat sexy body (reggaeton mix)
brenda fassie - vulundlela
marvia providence - o lord hear my prayer
destra garcia - bonnie and clyde
hesham - habib k'ana

woke me up...

MolexRoots
19-11-2004, 11:43 AM
On the way to -and at- college I shall be listening to:

A re-run of Seani B's show on 1Xtra from the homegrown weekend
Equinoxx rhythm (Blaxxx)
Bomb a Drop rhythm (357) "Bomb a drop! Damn you."
Whine yu Waistline rhythm (Big Jeans) Kartel... controversial eeh?

Backjob
22-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Lil Wyte and 666 Mafia - "I sho will" (sounds like garage!)
Lil Boosie and Mr Magic - "I smoke, I drank" (original is so much better than the youngbloodz one)
Elephant Man - "Bun bad mind"
Think Twice - "ITWFM"
Juvenile - "Nolia clap"
Paul Wall, Mike Jones and Chamillionaire - "Still tippin'"
Trim - "Boogeyman"
Wu Tang Clan - "Mystery of chessboxin'"
Marvia Providence - "Hear my cry o lord" (tune of the year, no doubt)

originaldrum
22-11-2004, 10:10 AM
the beat fleet - ping pong
tram 11 - vrucina gradskog asfalta
tram 11 - covje ce ne ljuti se
nered - od dan as do sutra
marcello de facto

croatian hip hop

polystyle desu
23-11-2004, 05:59 PM
the last Happy End studio Album . Harry Hosono's pre- YMO boys, enjoyed big rere last year in Japan

Hermeto Paschoal . "A Musica Livre" . Mile's 'crazy albino' , was in town for wkend a few bk .

the Christ CD . 1/2 of BOC , continuing the good work of previous ...

black rain "nanarchy" . Had to ck some tracks for Comp. "Yokoso betaMLoid. Corpocyte" , "Night Island : Birdswholiveinthetownofneon signs"

Kraftwerk 'live in Berlin . DL from Japanese website , great to hear live "Man Machine"

Kuma
23-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Live Neko Case
Skream mix i grabbed from the Big Apple site.
An ambient mix I made..

grimly fiendish
24-11-2004, 12:10 AM
the Christ CD . 1/2 of BOC

really? i never knew that. explains a lot, though ;)

i love the album (and the EP that preceded it) but was bitterly, bitterly disappointed when i saw him live in glasgow (about a year back? downstairs at the 13th note, anyway). utterly devoid of atmosphere.

today, btw, i have been listening to the METAL compilation my dear friend made for me. right now it's killswitch engage. standout track, however, is converge's you fail me: just stunning. i remember them playing it at ATP earlier in the year and being blown away then too.

machine hugger
25-11-2004, 05:10 AM
BaronZen. Some StonesThrow thing on a limited 12" ep. ??? Freestyle/HiNRG WTF.
Breakin records v.3 HMMMM.
Drexciya-grava 4. not too excited.
Japan-moroder remix of Life in Tokyo. Smooch on this one.

DJ_ADMIT_IT
25-11-2004, 06:26 AM
I've been listening to WDISKO.net a lot lately. Some fine tunes and mixing... Two of the only things I've heard in the last few hours that I really recognized were Jimmy Bo Horne "Spank" and Freestyle "Don't Stop the Rock." Also the new MU 12" Paris Hilton / We love guys named Luke, and Abe Duque What Happened? Angola 60s/70s and Brazilian stuff, new DJ Nuts comp. from Wax Poetics, Baile Funk (older stuff, compilations from the Brazilian Beat folks in NYC) picking up more in the Angolan stuff now that I know a few words of portuguese. and some of the new Baile Funk, the Diplo mix CD and Funk Neurotico 23 & 24. and Dance Mania, of course.

withnail
25-11-2004, 09:34 AM
An MP3 of a 2 hr show dedicated to Sydney Post Punk, from FBI Radio, September 21. Jolly good, informative and a wee bit nostalgic.

john eden
25-11-2004, 11:00 AM
So far I have listened to The Muppet Show album, which is a classic. ("Daddy, I don't want to watch Noddy - can I listen to some music instead?" Too right!)

And then "King Tubby's Firehouse Revolution" on the way into work - some nice Tubby digital biz post sleng teng.

redcrescent
25-11-2004, 01:07 PM
And then "King Tubby's Firehouse Revolution" on the way into work - some nice Tubby digital biz post sleng teng.
That Pressure Sounds comp is ace! The Soundclash Dubplate Style ones are fantastic, too, and a great complement to the Firehouse Revolution one, with very little overlap. Brutally minimal, brilliant stuff - and Wackies gets all the credit. I wonder if there are any more releases of post-1985 Tubbys?
I still think it's an underrated phase of Tubbys' career, but one well worth looking into, and I say that on the strength of those 3 compilations alone.

john eden
25-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I've not got those soundclash dubplate ones - keep meaning to pick them up...

I think things may have tailed off a bit quality wise, tho, I'll be very happy to be proved wrong. The only other comp I've seen around (on vinyl only) is a sort of "tribute to King Tubby" put out by Phantom and all that after he died. It's supposed to be a bit pony tho.

Yeah - the Pressure Sounds one is obviously what sent them down the road of their "Maximum Pressure" sublabel with stuff by Jammy and Techniques and so on. Only heard those 2, but they are wicked as well - highly recommended if you like the Firehouse one.

matt b
25-11-2004, 01:46 PM
i thought tubby dropped into a kind of 'overseeing' role after 'tempo'- messing w/ electronics and occassionally telling phantom et al what to do- even the stuff on the pressure sounds comp is 'produced at king tubby's' rather than 'produced by king tubby'

i'm still loving the 12 volume(!) 'revenge of king jammy's super power allstars' lps (only two more to get)- prime mid 80s stuff

john eden
25-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Yeah... Jammys!

I went mad for a load of the Live & Love 12" earlier this year. Only got one of that 12 volume set tho - mmm.

Chuck Turner! Yesmate!

polystyle desu
25-11-2004, 04:28 PM
DJ _Admit_ it 'and Abe Duque "What Happened ?"

that track cracked me up ... it's great that someone did this kind of track.
Hope he does more ...
Cheers all

redcrescent
25-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I've not got those soundclash dubplate ones - keep meaning to pick them up...

I think things may have tailed off a bit quality wise, tho, I'll be very happy to be proved wrong. The only other comp I've seen around (on vinyl only) is a sort of "tribute to King Tubby" put out by Phantom and all that after he died. It's supposed to be a bit pony tho.

Yeah - the Pressure Sounds one is obviously what sent them down the road of their "Maximum Pressure" sublabel with stuff by Jammy and Techniques and so on. Only heard those 2, but they are wicked as well - highly recommended if you like the Firehouse one.
Thanks for the recommendations. I think only about 7 or 8 releases came out after Arleen Ruddock (Tubby's daughter) took over the studio after his death, of which the Phantom set might be one (the second volume of Soundclash Dubplate Style is another). I'd assume that quality control would have taken a back seat by then. I'll look out for it though.
I've heard wonders about that Techniques set and obviously that'll have to be poached somewhere along the line! I really rate that The Crowning of Prince Jammy set, some absolutely crackin' tracks on that. "Pablo in Moonlight City", the dub to Earl Zero's "Please Officer", alone is worth the price of admission, and don't get me raving about things like "Jehovia", which are just stellar.
Incidentially, has anyone heard David Rodigan's Dub Classics on the now-defunct Rewind Selecta label? My gateway into the depths of dub - ever short of funds, I had to pick up that or a Dubhead compilation, and picking Rodigan was definitely a fateful choice! I've been hooked since.

i thought tubby dropped into a kind of 'overseeing' role after 'tempo'- messing w/ electronics and occassionally telling phantom et al what to do- even the stuff on the pressure sounds comp is 'produced at king tubby's' rather than 'produced by king tubby'

i'm still loving the 12 volume(!) 'revenge of king jammy's super power allstars' lps (only two more to get)- prime mid 80s stuff
You're right, fixing radios was a more lucrative activity and a lot of the cuts were mixed by his engineers, so I wrote Tubbys' instead of Tubby's. A bit confusing maybe.
Oh man, I had no idea there were 12 instalments of the Super Power Allstars! Thanks!

john eden
25-11-2004, 07:47 PM
I've heard wonders about that Techniques set and obviously that'll have to be poached somewhere along the line!

I really rate that The Crowning of Prince Jammy set,

Incidentially, has anyone heard David Rodigan's Dub Classics on the now-defunct Rewind Selecta label? My gateway into the depths of dub - ever short of funds, I had to pick up that or a Dubhead compilation, and picking Rodigan was definitely a fateful choice! I've been hooked since.

The Techniques comp is awesome. AWESOME I TELL YA!!! :cool:

Yeah "crowning" one of my favourites ever as well. The Maximum Pressure King Jammy one is excellent, but not quite as good as that for my money. I have to pick up the Digital B and Xterminator ones as well...

Yeah! Paul Meme I think has the Rodigan comp - some fantastic tunes on there and definitely the right road to take at the crossroads if dubhead is the other one! (Tho some of that stuff is great, but by no means all).

There's some blurb in the new "sexual health & reggae" entry on my blog also...

matt b
26-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Oh man, I had no idea there were 12 instalments of the Super Power Allstars! Thanks!

that's on vinyl- the 3cds cover the same tracks (although whether they have the odd spot of juggling like the vinyl, i don't know.

re: dubhead. i'm still waiting for dubversion's thing on digi-dub, but i have to say since moving to leeds and attending subdub regularly, i've got back into it. there's even some stuff you can listen to at home ;)
(i've been meaning to do an entry on this subject , but have not got round to finishing it). jah warrior and naph-tali's ‘one of these days’ lp is a bit of a classic in our house.

matt b
26-11-2004, 12:06 PM
The Techniques comp is awesome. AWESOME I TELL YA!!!

i'd second that- the best max. pressure comp by far.

the digital b and xterminator ones are not quite as consistent, but have enough stone cold killers to be worth it: shabba's 'heart of a lion', morgan heritage's 'what we need is love', mutabaruka & luciano's 'psalm 24' & sizzla's 'life's road' being examples. however never, i repeat never listen to 'we will make it' by L.M.S. awful....

redcrescent
26-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Right, bwoys, that Techniques comp will be purchased on sight. "the best max. pressure comp by far." That's saying something, matt!

How do you rate sets like the Chantells' Children of Jah on Blood & Fire and the recent releases on Pressure Sounds: The Royals in dub and that Herman Chin-Loy compilation. Been meaning to get all of those, so it's not a question of either/or, it's when and how!

Great piece on your blog, John. Always rewarding to stop by uncarved.

nomos
27-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Went to the local wax monger for Run the Road but got dissed. No Canadian release scheduled for this year. :( Maybe January.

Still, I left happy with Dizzee's "Dream"/"Trapped," Lady Sov "Ch Ching," and a slice of darkness - Tango and Ratty's "Tales from the Darkside/Final Conflict."

matt b
29-11-2004, 11:52 AM
"the best max. pressure comp by far." That's saying something, matt!

i'll stand by it :)

How do you rate sets like the Chantells' Children of Jah on Blood & Fire and the recent releases on Pressure Sounds: The Royals in dub and that Herman Chin-Loy compilation.

i haven't bought any B&F stuff since they went cd only (apart from the satta 7"s), royals in dub- got the 10" which is wicked- vocals/dj version/dub (increasingly i can't deal with a complete dub album). haven't seen the chin-loy comp, but isn't it just aquarius dub and some alternate versions?- overrated imo.

john eden
29-11-2004, 12:16 PM
How do you rate sets like the Chantells' Children of Jah on Blood & Fire and the recent releases on Pressure Sounds: The Royals in dub and that Herman Chin-Loy compilation. Been meaning to get all of those, so it's not a question of either/or, it's when and how!

I tend to buy this stuff a couple of years after it comes out because I can find them cheaper then. :o

sufi
29-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Not to be confused with The Congos' Heart Of The Congos,
this is an album with a great story behind it... In 1977, a
would-be reggae promoter brought some fellows from Zaire to
Jamaica in hopes of creating a new African reggae sound.
Apparently, she abandoned the two Africans soon after they
arrived in Jamaica and left them stranded on the mean
streets of Kingston. Not speaking any English, they had to
beg for money and food to survive. Eventually, they found
themselves at Lee Perry's house and somehow communicated
their desperate story. Perry took their arrival as a sign:
Jah himself had sent these guys from Africa to make a
connection with the Black Ark. Soon after, the three of them
were in the Ark recording the six songs that make up From
The Heart Of The Congo. It's an incredible and ground
breaking collaboration, done long before anyone was
attempting such a crossover, and even before reggae had
become popular in Africa. The result was a thick, swirling,
tribal groove that is unique in the Lee Perry canon. Killers
include "African Roots", "Mutoya Motema", and - oddly enough
- the mislabelled Robert Palmer tune is really good, too!
nfo (http://railtonroad.com/mp3/from%20the%20heart%20of%20the%20congos-%20molenga,%20kawongolo,%20perry%201977/info.nfo)

sufi
29-11-2004, 01:05 PM
by Super Mama Djombo

i try to listen to it every day

redcrescent
29-11-2004, 01:30 PM
i haven't bought any B&F stuff since they went cd only (apart from the satta 7"s), royals in dub- got the 10" which is wicked- vocals/dj version/dub (increasingly i can't deal with a complete dub album). haven't seen the chin-loy comp, but isn't it just aquarius dub and some alternate versions?- overrated imo.
One advantage of living in back-a-bush is that your local wax shack still has a bunch of B&F vinyl... I'll check if he still has that Chantells. Why'd B&F quit vinyl anyway?
Addendum: new B&F website launched today, will let registered users d/l full tracks (45 in total). The discussion board is back up as well, apparently.

I tend to buy this stuff a couple of years after it comes out because I can find them cheaper then.
The disadvantage here (in Austria) is that no one ever seems to want to get rid of their quality reggae vinyl (understandably) so all you ever see in the second hand bins are loads of Eddy Grant, Marley/Tosh/Wailers, Black Uhuru, etc. And yes, those B&F sets aren't the cheapest new, so I'd do exactly the same. Cruel economics!

reposed
29-11-2004, 02:45 PM
One advantage of living in back-a-bush is that your local wax shack still has a bunch of B&F vinyl...i picked up a stack of well OOP B&F a couple years back from http://www.reggaefever.ch/ (in switzerland) .. no idea if they still have any in stock..

matt b
29-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Why'd B&F quit vinyl anyway?

cost.

redcrescent
29-11-2004, 09:31 PM
i picked up a stack of well OOP B&F a couple years back from http://www.reggaefever.ch/ (in switzerland) .. no idea if they still have any in stock..
It looks like they still got plenty! I'll hit 'em if I can't find any here. Thanks, reposed!

mms
29-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Went to the local wax monger for Run the Road but got dissed. No Canadian release scheduled for this year. :( Maybe January.

Still, I left happy with Dizzee's "Dream"/"Trapped," Lady Sov "Ch Ching," and a slice of darkness - Tango and Ratty's "Tales from the Darkside/Final Conflict."

uk release is next yr too mate, chi ching in on it too incidentally.anyone else think of ari up when you hear lady sovreign?

nomos
29-11-2004, 10:34 PM
uk release is next yr too mate
Er, whoops. Somehow I got it in my head that it came out on November 15.

run_time
30-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Blacstrobe's Essential Mix...so far so good

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/dance/essentialmix/tracklistings.shtml?focuswin

John Bitumen
30-11-2004, 04:43 PM
hand on the plow
holiday the vybe: groove chronicles
the flamingoes: i only have eyes for you
Gather In The Mushrooms: The British Acid Folk Underground 1968-1974
own compilation of non-spaghetti western morricone soundtracks

against own volition:
rod stewart
lambchop

john eden
30-11-2004, 04:49 PM
2003 UK World Clash CD1.

Essentially the top soundsystems in the world playing about 30 seconds of excellent dubplates, rewinding them, screaming "Bloodclaaaaaaat!!!!", referring to the other soundsystems and then saying "suck your mumma" whilst the crowd shouts their appreciation and gives it the old klaxon. For 70 minutes.

It's energetic, but ultimately unfulfilling, I reckon. Sounds like a great night tho... I only have CD2 as well as this one out of a 4 CD set...

Grievous Angel
30-11-2004, 06:23 PM
2003 UK World Clash CD1.

Essentially the top soundsystems in the world playing about 30 seconds of excellent dubplates, rewinding them, screaming "Bloodclaaaaaaat!!!!", referring to the other soundsystems and then saying "suck your mumma" whilst the crowd shouts their appreciation and gives it the old klaxon. For 70 minutes.

Yeah, it's great but, as you say, unfulfilling. But get this Dissensus massive -- Eden wouldn't let me sample any of Rodigan's dubplates! You can take respect too far... :)

I only have CD2 as well as this one out of a 4 CD set...
Tell 'em where you got it from... this is waaaaay cool...

Grievous Angel
30-11-2004, 06:25 PM
holiday the vybe: groove chronicles
Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnneeeeeee!

My abstract 2step mix is still up, quite a nice cut'n'mix of this track and the dub on there.

An awesome transcendent garage track.

Maybe not quite as good as Black Puppet.

dubplatestyle
30-11-2004, 06:27 PM
wagon christ - throbbing pouch
recloose - cardiology
wasteland - october
v/a - diwali
dj/rupture/mutamassik split
greensleeve's ragga jungle anthems vol. 1
a few personal mix cd's

(can you tell I'm not at work?)

Grievous Angel
30-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah! Paul Meme I think has the Rodigan comp - some fantastic tunes on there and definitely the right road to take at the crossroads if dubhead is the other one!
Sure have. It's killa. Genuinely one of the best selected and easiest to listen to compos I've got.

The roots set is terrific too. Shame it didn't carry on, think there was a Lovers one, but no DJ one... unless someone knows diffrn.

The CD I'm listening to most right now is Toots and the Maytals' Greatest Hits. Been in the CD player in the kitchen for two weeks, me and the wife are both caning it, you just stick it on, every tune is fabulous. I REALLY want that Funky Kingston comp that Soul Jazz did.

Martin Dust
30-11-2004, 08:07 PM
The Black Dog - Live
Rufus Wainwright - Want One
Carl Taylor - Simplex
The Specials - Ghost Town
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

iueke
30-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Quatuor Loewenguth - Roussel
Diane Dorel - le garçon de brazillia
Jacky Giordano - rythmes et melodies
Randy carlos - ep Barclay
J.P. Massiera - vous presente ses meilleurs voeux
john coltrane - outtakes

Clubberlang
30-11-2004, 09:07 PM
In the last day:

Red Rat Oh No! It's Red Rat!
M.I.A./Diplo Piracy Funds Terrorism Vol 1
Wasteland October
DJ /rupture Special Election Mix
Various Artists Studio One Disco Mix

nick.K
01-12-2004, 09:40 AM
93 til infinity - souls of mischief
devlin the dude - anythang
superpitcher - happiness (m.mayer rmx)
the mfa - the difference (superpitcher rmx)
dylan - percy's song

in heavy rotation.......

john eden
01-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's great but, as you say, unfulfilling. But get this Dissensus massive -- Eden wouldn't let me sample any of Rodigan's dubplates! You can take respect too far... :)

Tell 'em where you got it from... this is waaaaay cool...

I got them out of the library - is that cool? :confused:

I think including other people's dubplates on your mix or tune is well out of order and could lead to some serious grief if word gets out! You wanted to sample Tony Matterhorn's dubplates as well - you want to mess with him?

You must be more of a gangsta than I thought, Paul :p

originaldrum
01-12-2004, 10:41 AM
some best of phil collins cd - i liked it

sufi
02-12-2004, 07:10 PM
...on my pc in the workplace, i noticed 1 colleague looking at me funny, she said hmm tht sound like ernest ranglin
my colleagues are great :D

Kuma
02-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Youngsta-live at FWD.

Runnin'!

Jay Vee
02-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Wasteland - "October"
Gwen Stefani solo cd
Francois de Roubaix compilation i made
Lots of Italo
Universal Robot Band
some Coil

mms
02-12-2004, 11:27 PM
some Coil

talking of Coil, the end is nigh :(

http://www.thresholdhouse.com/itjustis.html
bless.

sufi
03-12-2004, 12:14 AM
naqibs basta song.mp3 29-Mar-2004 18:48 194K ..sufi2k4.. (http://railtonroad.com/mp3/naqibs%20b%e4sta%20song.mp3)

Backjob
03-12-2004, 03:29 AM
<i>blackstrobe essential mix</i>

Bloody hell, they get more goth by the minute don't they? Sisters of mercy!

I'm just listening to Stanley Turrentine "Salt Song" and the Best of Roland Kirk over and over right now.

MolexRoots
03-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Collision Course - That Jay-Z and Linkin Parks link up.
Couple a' rinses of Lenky's new riddim.

The day has only just started.

machine hugger
10-12-2004, 03:52 AM
I'm really starting to dislike U2 even more. Upnote apparently Afrika Bambaata is Dj'n tonight here FOR FREE! That's like wine, woman and song. :cool:

puretokyo
10-12-2004, 05:09 AM
<i>blackstrobe essential mix</i>

Bloody hell, they get more goth by the minute don't they? Sisters of mercy!

Ahh, the Sisters... great stuff. The early lo-fi, punky, suicide/stooges influenced stuff was really extremely good.

machine hugger
10-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Yeah..like Alice/Floorshow!

arcaNa
10-12-2004, 09:23 PM
...i'm waiting for a mate to come round my house, and he should've been here hours ago, he's not answering his mobile and i'm getting a bit worried...
-anyway, in the meantime i'm listening to:
B12 : Electro-soma
The Black Dog : Spanners
Brian Eno : Before And After Science
Rhythm&Sound : With The Artists
...(while firing up a massive spliff...! :p )

mms
10-12-2004, 10:03 PM
sunn 0)) and merzbow on the train to work.
slimzee mix on the way back

appleblim
10-12-2004, 10:26 PM
as i blog away....

chicken lips - dj kicks
isotonik - everywhere i go *does pop rave get any better than this?!*
altern-8 - picture disc of the album *sounds well dodge but worth it for the masks spinning round*
the bug - gun disease

a little introspection around 2pm.....

neil young - comes a time & zuma
scott walker - scott 4
arthur russell - another thought (jeez this blows me away every time)

then a little mix up includin......

digital mystikz - give jah glory
plasticman - gotcha
vex'd - ghost
mark one - bad mood
geeneus - the journey
dj blazey & ace alani - exorcist (appleblim vip!!!) (had to get that in there! so stoked about that!)
plasticman - the lift
wizzbit - breakdown

yeah!

puretokyo
11-12-2004, 03:25 AM
sunn 0)) and merzbow on the train to work.

christ above, i hope you don't work in any kind of job where you have to relate to people, given that you gear up with sunn and merzbow! :p

DavidD
11-12-2004, 03:41 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002TL6QQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

withnail
11-12-2004, 05:00 AM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C08KI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Another Pressure Sounds must

arcaNa
11-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Another Pressure Sounds must
....Nice one, i really want their "Aquarius Rock"-comp aswell...! :)

mms
11-12-2004, 11:09 AM
christ above, i hope you don't work in any kind of job where you have to relate to people, given that you gear up with sunn and merzbow! :p

haha no i don't really, i was just in the mood for completley stripping my brain before i started work.

Telephone Thing
12-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Arthur Russell's World of Echo , as much of the LCD Soundsystem album as I could download (very nice), and the Lagaan soundtrack, so far.

jimbackhouse
12-12-2004, 05:43 PM
The Egg 'The Civil Surface'. Beautiful slightly smug wibbly Canterbury stop-start-abrupt time-signature-change-jazz-prog. Lucky find at the good old Music and Video Exchange. :)

mms
15-12-2004, 09:40 AM
how to kill the dj part 2 mix by the optimo people. lots of ace mashed up into a mix on abelton. much much better than the first black strobe one who's popularity i just don't understand.

gragy10
15-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Still trying to like Streets Disciple and failing miserably - not really sure why everyone's got so excited about this. I'm finally resigned to Nas being unable to make decent albums. Also been listening to the new manitoba/caribou album this morning - pretty disappointed so far especially as Up In Flames was far and away my favourite record of last year but it might need a bit more time to grow into. On the plus side the vocals are much much stronger than last time but overall it seems to have moved towards straight indie territory a bit too much

nick.K
15-12-2004, 11:42 AM
how to kill the dj part 2 mix by the optimo people. lots of ace mashed up into a mix on abelton. much much better than the first black strobe one who's popularity i just don't understand.

agreed. black stobe need editing and optimo oughta release more mixes

mms
15-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Arthur Russell's World of Echo

is that the version i saw in the shops with the dvd?
what's that like,
i have the vinyl, i wanna know what the extras are really.

mms
15-12-2004, 12:19 PM
agreed. black stobe need editing and optimo oughta release more mixes

they need thicker sounds and more bass, all these euro fuckers need to beef it up a bit.

redcrescent
15-12-2004, 12:27 PM
they need thicker sounds and more bass, all these euro fuckers need to beef it up a bit.
Damn right.

Triple-M
17-12-2004, 02:36 PM
NP: Rufige Cru - Killa Muffin

arcaNa
04-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Can- Tago Mago (remastered)
Butch Cassidy Soundsystem - Butches Brew
Lady Sovereign- Shh! (Cha Ching)
Yadahanai- One Atonement (my FAVOURITE listen so far! lush/lovely roots record...recommended!)
X-Ray Spex - [?bootleg]
V/A- Down & Out! The Sad Soul Of the Black South :)

Telephone Thing
05-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Re: World of Echo : yes, it's the one with the DVD. The extras tracks on the CD are, to be frank, kind of sketchy, but the DVD is more than worth it. It's a couple of films (by Phil Niblock, IIRC) of Russell playing his cello live- only had the chance to watch one so far, but it's a long unbroken sequence of Russell playing, filmed mostly in closeup on his hands, the strings, his face, etc.

Thanks Nick for the Optimo recommendation- I'm one of those who enjoyed the Black Strobe mix, and the tracklisting for the Optimo volume looks fantastic, if a bit obvious in places. Black Strobe's own housey/disco/whatever productions are usually much more fun than Smagghe's mixes...

And today I dug out the Richard X album (still love it, though the Annie track is disappointing), John Lennon's Shaved Fish comp (bought it to get "#9 Dream" without the rest of Walls and Bridges , and clean CD versions of "Instant Karma!" and "Cold Turkey" outside of some tacky posthumous "best-of" comp...and not too much overlap with Plastic Ono Band or Imagine, either), and TTC's Batards Sensibles album.

mms
05-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Re: Thanks Nick for the Optimo recommendation- I'm one of those who enjoyed the Black Strobe mix, and the tracklisting for the Optimo volume looks fantastic, if a bit obvious in places. Black Strobe's own housey/disco/whatever productions are usually much more fun than Smagghe's mixes...

And today I dug out the Richard X album (still love it, though the Annie track is disappointing), John Lennon's [I]Shaved Fish comp (bought it to get "#9 Dream" without the rest of Walls and Bridges , and clean CD versions of "Instant Karma!" and "Cold Turkey" outside of some tacky posthumous "best-of" comp...and not too much overlap with Plastic Ono Band or Imagine, either), and TTC's Batards Sensibles album.

no worries but im not called nick.
i heard a morris fulton remix of an annie track today and it was totally casual.
i can't wait for the mu album to come out, infact there are a few albums this year i'm desperate to hear and that's quite unusual. one of them is that konono no 1 cd. http://www.crammed.be/konono/
been waiting for that for a year.

was listening to my ipod on non-organised today and had this perfect row of hits of sunshine, it has really made my week, it was so great i wrote them down and i'm gonna make a cd when i get a new burner

mommy what's a funkadelic - funkadelic
wild in the country - bow wow wow
let's go swimming - arthur russell
booty la la - bugs in the attic
woo haa - version by old dirty
summer madness -cool and the gang
funky hi life - ck mann

what a perfect run eh?

Telephone Thing
06-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Gah- my bad. I must've picked out the wrong name while scrolling through the topic review.

Also: new Mu album coming out? Hot damn. Any links/info?

mms
06-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Gah- my bad. I must've picked out the wrong name while scrolling through the topic review.

Also: new Mu album coming out? Hot damn. Any links/info?

no worries.
its on output, read about it in the wire, sounds right up my street, sort of anti garage (in the old sense)
alot of fun, much more fun than those boring old stick insects kompakt that are currently dulling up hause music. he he he

polystyle desu
07-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Miles Davis "On The Corner" Thinkin' one thing and doing another

machine hugger
07-01-2005, 06:18 AM
Mudhoney still f'in rock after all these years.

satanmcnugget
07-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Cee-Lo Green...Is the Soul Machine

puretokyo
07-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Mudhoney still f'in rock after all these years.

They're playing here in six weeks and I've been counting the days for the last two months.

machine hugger
07-01-2005, 07:03 AM
well you suck only because I am jealous!! My top 3 ever for a live band. You won't be disappointed.

egg
10-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I am becoming dangerously obsessed with Loefah - Truly Dread (http://www.dubplate.net/sound/trulydread_loefah.wma)

Any recommendations for similar?

machine hugger
11-01-2005, 05:33 AM
yummm..sounds good eh!??? Haven't heard that one yet.

arcaNa
11-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Dennis Bovell- More Cuts And Dubs 1976- 1983 (really enjoying this, while grinding my teeth that the early matumbi stuff is still yet unavailable, this is a good teaser!)
Yadahanai- One Atonemant (still can't get it off my stereo!)
Can- Ege Bamyasi , Tago Mago (all remastred)
Cambodian Rocks vol.1
Get Carter soundtrack
A Guy Called Gerald- Black Secret Technology (i've listened to this record every month for almost 10 years now!) :cool:
B12- Electro-soma

mms
11-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I am becoming dangerously obsessed with Loefah - Truly Dread (http://www.dubplate.net/sound/trulydread_loefah.wma)

Any recommendations for similar?

kode9 digital mystiks and the dubstep allstars records should see you thru, or youngstas mix off of the www.dubplate.net site

egg
11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
oh my gosh etc

nice recommendations mms

mms
11-01-2005, 07:13 PM
oh my gosh etc

nice recommendations mms

loefah's got an album coming out on tempa soon too.

Telephone Thing
12-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Can's Soundtracks (finally picked up a copy, and can't stop listening to "Tango Whiskeyman"), Trevor Jackson's Playgroup 80's/new wave mix, and Mark Ronson's Jay-Z mix for Fade to Black (quite good, and much better than the movie itself if most reviewers are correct...).

polystyle desu
13-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Lost In Translation Sdtk . Kevin Shields City Girl
Jimi Hendrix . 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
Miles Davis . On The Corner
B Eno . Discreet Music

machine hugger
15-01-2005, 10:01 AM
empty promises. Sigh. Ugh.

arcaNa
15-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Manuel Göttsching : E2-E4 . :)

craner
15-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Hall & Oates, exclusively.

I saw Cecil Tayler practising on his piano in his underwear, eating strawberries and drinking champagne from the bottle, when I was 12.

I admit that I led a charmed life, until the age of 13.

I've also been kissed by Lauren Bacall, too. I was in a pram, and apparently she said, "Aw! What a cute baby! mwaw!"

What can I say? I was a cute baby.

machine hugger
16-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Oliver you are one stud ;)

oh yeah-

I'm listening to the Depth Charge Electro Boogie mix. Next up is Freaky Chakra vs. Single Cell Orchestra!

In Moll
16-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Manuel Göttsching : E2-E4 . :)

I was listening to this the other day and kept thinking 'where do I know this bassline from??!'. Finally realized it was the same b-line from a basic channel track, aptly named 'e2-e4 basic reshape'.

I listened to Manuel Gottsching today as well, Inventions for Electric Guitar. Also: Marissa Nadler - Ballads for Living & Dying.

...first post btw, hello, all.

Backjob
16-01-2005, 06:08 AM
My wakeboarding mix cd of tunes that sound ok over the noise of a boat engine and that everybody can enjoy on a sunny day:

Mylo - Destroy Rock and Roll
MIA vs Diplo - Fire Fire
Method Man - Release yo delf
Just Blaze Bleek and Free
Slim Thug, Chamillionaire and Paul Wall - Still tippin
Markus Nikolai - Bushes (zero valut acoustic version)
Evan Dando - My Drug Buddy (live acoustic)
Trick Daddy - These are the daze
Trim - Boogeyman
Snoop and Pharrell - Drop it like it's hot
Vybz Kartel - Breast Specialist
Elephant Man - Bun bad mind
Gwen Stefani - What you waiting for (lu cont mix)
Rammstein - Amerika
Hixxy and Sharkey - Toytown (extended vocal mix)

Andrew
16-01-2005, 12:15 PM
havent bought anything new for ages and went to rough trade and got
khonnor: handwritting
superthriller: superthriller 1
they are both really good, cant find anything at about superthriller, other than they seem to be part of the shunt theatre collective who did that dance bear dance thing in bethnal green and that newproduction with the national threature in a railway arch at london bridge. does any know anything else about them?

mpc
16-01-2005, 12:34 PM
disco d live in paris mix: http://familywerks.net/sets/Disco_D_@_Nouveau_Casino_Paris_112203.mp3

tis good.

dizzee rascal - fix up... (remix): http://www.cuechamp.com/swound/

tis also good.

bloc party mp3s: http://www.blocparty.net/mp3.html

das good.

mms
16-01-2005, 01:59 PM
i djed at some bar in soho last night, dropped some good ones.

the resident guy played horrible saccharine r and b and then suddenly broke into ace old school jungle at midnight. very odd.

comments of the night were:

guy to girl: do you like my leather jacket, i bought it today.

girl to guy: yeah it's nice.

a minute later after silence, guy to girl: yeah cost me £800.

puretokyo
17-01-2005, 01:47 AM
guy to girl: do you like my leather jacket, i bought it today.

girl to guy: yeah it's nice.

a minute later after silence, guy to girl: yeah cost me £800.

hah! pure magic. unbeatable.

polystyle desu
20-01-2005, 07:26 PM
woke up , cold snow on the ground , somehow needing to hear
The Clash live . From Here To Eternity

and after looking through Mick Rock's Blood And Glitter at HMV yesterday,
i needed to hear
Mott The Hoople . Mott . Whizz Kid, Hymn For The Dudes , Honaloochie Boogie, Violence
and Drivin Sister

then just finished some ol Ed Rush & Optical from Wormhole mixed CD
Point Blank , Millenium and Splinter

carlos
20-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Mott The Hoople . Mott . Whizz Kid, Hymn For The Dudes , Honaloochie Boogie, Violence
and Drivin Sister

that is one of my all-time favorite records...

today listened to:

big youth "natty universal dread" disc 3
horace andy "in the light"
johnny clarke "rockers time now"
sylford walker "lamb's bread international"

polystyle desu
20-01-2005, 11:14 PM
aww that *ucking Mott

continuing now with some from Greatest Hits, Born Late '58 , Roll Away The Stone, Foxy Foxy
- only thing some of the versions on this fade out as the guitar solos start,
and with Mott that's just criminal , thank you so much Columbia 'nice price'
Ah , but it does have Saturday Gigs , that final cut the group did after they got Ronson in.

All inspired by that Mick Rock book , we had the great luck and pleasure to work with Mick this past summer
quite a guy, still rockin

Blood and glitter ...

SMorlighem
21-01-2005, 01:35 PM
• Brazil : digging more into Edu Lobo (from 'Edu e Bethânia' to 'Limite Das Aguas'), Chico Buarque's 'Construçao', Milton Nascimento's 'Milagre Dos Peixes', Nara Leão 's 'Nara', and so on...
• Soon-to-be-released fave of January : Mu, 'Out of Breach (Manchester's Revenge)', less 'connyplankish' than 'Afro Finger & Gel', but quite enjoyable & hilarious.
• Old faves rereleased : Cristina, 'Doll in a Box' & 'Sleep it Off' ; Scritti Politti, 'Early', and especially Pascal Comelade's 'Back to Schizo' comp, early years, marvelous minimal stuff...
http://217.128.227.4/ext_re_new_releaseselect.php?np=31919 (a bit of promo info)
http://www.chronicart.com/music/music_rock.php3?id=9169 (my, ahem, own review, in, ahem, french)

polystyle desu
21-01-2005, 03:01 PM
that Brazil music sounds good too ,
we have some Nara Leao' in the house and my lady always brings back CD's she finds in Tokyo.
Last time it was Mario Castro Neves & Samba SA , Ben Demais! , Hermeto Paschoal .
She returns on the 31st. so i look forward to what she's caught this time

mms
29-01-2005, 03:01 PM
got sent copy of the virus syndicate cd , (markone's crew of mcs from manc,)and fuck me it's ace.
k-punk praised the last markone lp that featured these guys in his top ten of last year, he's gonna love this..

as k-punk pointed out virus have enuff distance from london to not get entangled in the whole scene, the intercrew merking and the scramble for a big label deal, and they've made an album for planet mu of really good imaginative beats with some wicked mcing, and it's all grimey.
the album is ghetto reportage in the best sense, with that whole vibe that good hip hop albums have of a gangster movie. tunes about getting into debt cos you're trying to show off, shotting drugs (with no remorse) girls that get screwed over by men and get fucked up and into drugs, what goes around comes around mentality, and robbing banks, as well as some good old fashioned boasting. and its not social worker style like ms dynamite or depressing lefty stuff either.

i really really hope that the press pick up on this fkr and some of the people that write on this board, it's easy to push the london side cos they're close etc, but this is a top album, and it's not coming out on a label that's got the cash for big money videos and street campaigns and all that shit. But it's really fucking good.
even my girlfriend enjoyed it and she thinks grime mc's are mostly idiots.

stevienixed
29-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Justus Kohncke's Doppelleben (not convinced about the order of the tracks, i'd have preferred an A side with dance and B side with the poppier/singersongwriter tracks)

Motorbass - Pansoul

Some MF Doom tracks

MIA - Sunshowers

Villalobos, Wiley, Lethal B, Jaydee,...

Bound to have an overdose by the enf of the day.

Diggedy Derek
29-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Re: Manc grime, Raw T were on Cameo's show the other day. Thought they were excellent actually. They don't attack the mic as much do they, the Northern mans dem, they lurk in the the background a bit, a bit more softness and sarcasm in the voice. And the production is not as junglistic- it's less jarring and perhaps more housey, a little more melody in there. But it was pretty damn good.

So Tony Wilson is pushing these guys? Interesting!

hint
29-01-2005, 04:38 PM
do you lot know about audioscrobbler (http://www.audioscrobbler.com)?

it's a little app that you run in the background (so you need to either launch it each time you boot up, or include it in your startup items) which intergrates with your music player of choice and uploads your playlist statistics onto your own personalised stats page. you can click on artist names and find other users who are into that artist and then check out what else they listen to...

you can then build up groups which include stats from all members of the group and show overall charts of artists / tracks. so there could be a dissensus group, for example. these groups can be open to all or invite only affairs.

there's even a way to allow it to include plays on ipods etc, but I haven't worked that bit out yet.

mms
29-01-2005, 04:38 PM
yeah he's pushing raw t, i think grime is spreading.
heard some glasgow producer guy moaning that younger kids were getting on grime and not uk hip hop stuff the other day on another forum.

originaldrum
31-01-2005, 11:36 AM
the necks - mosquito/see through

quite good really

nick.K
31-01-2005, 12:56 PM
on the motorway over the weekend listened to :

Kid Kameleon sets - Absolutely Shocking / Even More Shocking - kid kameleon (http://www.kidkameleon.com/)

Barry Manilow - Mandy
Alphaville - Forever Young (that track from Napoleon Dynamite)

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls for Rock n Roll - listening to The Wizard a lot in particular.

Daft Punk - Make Love / Emotion (and the rest of the album)

the Fog - The Rabbit - a track from his new album - 10th Avenue Freakout (http://www.lexrecords.com/were_winning.htm)

Mei Shi - Mix CD - sound bursts, samples and occassional instruments that together sounds like someone flicking through shortwave radio stations. The result is somewhere between The Books / Chris Watson / Yasunao Tone

VA - Run the Road.

polystyle desu
03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Snatch's Black Market ('83)

Magazine's Definitive Gaze , Motorcade , Permafrost

Kode 9 Babel mix off Gutterbreakz, which was fine and couldn't go much wrong after the
Pharoahe Monch Simon Says Godzilla theme redux came through

iueke
03-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Chico Buarque & Ennio Morricone - Per un Pugno di Samba lp
Gay Cat Park - i'm a vocoder

red_shift
03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
mingus ah um
Steve Reich: six pianos/variations/music for mallet instruments
Terry Riley: A rainbow in curved air

all recommended for making tedious work almost enjoyable.

Gerard
04-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Meat Puppets: Up on The Sun :)

AshRa
04-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Just listening to Tribesman Assault - Wackies dub LP reissue.

I've got a pretty low tolerance for dub albums unless they're super FX-drenched (Dub Factor is probably my favourite) and this one's a bit too minimal for me BUT it is saved by a brilliant effect on a couple of tracks that sounds like they're slowing the guitar / horns tapes down by hand while re-dubbing it over the drums tape! Hard to describe but sounds ace!

Rambler
04-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Polish folk, at http://home.stny.rr.com/fatpipe/oddio/sounds/poland.html

Particularly enjoying the two tracks by Dzieci z Broda (The Broda Children).

polystyle desu
06-02-2005, 03:50 PM
The Anomoanon . Bourbon Whisky/The Derby Ram

John Bonham drum track outtakes . From SFJ site . recorded from sessions from In Through The Out Door,
so not as stirring as other songs , but still it is Bonham's wallop . Pagey got a good drum sound

polystyle desu
06-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Jimi Hendrix . 'The Ultimate Collection'
Sisters Of Mercy . First Last And Always
Joy Division . Closer
M Manson . Mechanical Animals
Misfits . London Dungeon
The Young Gods . L'eau Rouge ...

nonightsweats
06-02-2005, 09:44 PM
last night - kate and anna mcgarrigle and rufus and martha wainwright live in sydney

right now - the residents' commercial album: lovely

machine hugger
06-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Yay!

M.I.A- Arular!!
some DJ Krush
Roots Manuva-Dub Come Save Me.
Fad Gadget-Fireside Favourites.

ripley
06-02-2005, 11:27 PM
High Tone - Opus Incertum
some other French dub sounds.
Mutamassik - War Booty

Also played both of those at the beginning of The Choon-Up last night.

now the cafe I'm in is playing Rush - that Tom Sawyer song, and I admit I know every word, tho I can't say exactly how. I guess you're just a big musical sponge when you're young.

machine hugger
06-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Ripley, not a Superbowl type are ya' ??

ripley
07-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Machinehugger, I'm from Boston originally, and yet, strangely unmoved.

stevienixed
07-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Boris - Feedbacker

owen
07-02-2005, 12:21 PM
yesterday i listened to

the ink spots (god this is the greatest music ever)
villalobos
robert wyatt
ivor cutler
'spirit of eden' by talk talk
labradford

and today i have listened to v little as am at work :mad:

Chef Napalm
07-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Arrived in the mail Friday:

The Knife - Heartbeats A bit late on this one. Love the Rex the Dog mix (of course). Someone discribed it as the perfect end-credit music for some un-produced 80s brat-pack film. Sounds like an apt description to me.

Mark Rae - Reach Out To Me Holy crap!!! Played it over and over. Everyone who dropped by on the weekend (Even my spousal-equivalent's country-music-lovin' father!) was like, "What is that?"

"Mark Rae"

"I don't know who that is, but it's good. Can you burn it for me?"

"Sorry. Vinyl."

"Damn. I'll have to Soulseek it."

Quite possibly a perfect song.

adam
07-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Let's see - Aim High 2, Sense Club @ Mutek, M.I.A. (the german one).

Guybrush
15-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Since I've had the katzenjammer from hell, soothing music that's easy on the ears has been the soundtrack to my day. Andrew Thomas' transcendental ‘I Am Here, Where Are You’ from Kompakt's Pop Ambient 2007 compilation meets both of these criteria with bravura, you can listen to it here (http://www.kompakt-mp3.net/?ENXXX(KOMP3)XXX(KOMP3%20MP3%201)).

An honorary mention goes to Quiet Village's subtle but sublime ‘Drax’ (which you can listen to here (http://lavamus.com/Album/2185583/Quiet_Village_Project/Too_High_to_Move_/_Drax/mp3/?lsid=777993877a005c8d00b8d9a9b597afd0)).

don_quixote
15-12-2006, 10:57 PM
because someone mentioned the cbs top 100 i decided to check it out, so after listening to it all through i have been listening to these today:

knight action - single girl
lindstrom - i feel space
giorgio moroder - from here to eternity
skatt bros. - walk the night
jojo - mindgames
crazy gang - every sunday
danny boy and the serious party gods - castro boy
freak electrique - symphonie electronique

mistersloane
15-12-2006, 11:59 PM
( to wake up my 18 year old nephew Daniel to take him to the hospital to visit his mum who's in intensive care ) 'Someday' by The Strokes played REALLY FUCKING LOUD as I danced around singing LOUDLY and OUT OF TUNE feeding and de-worming the senile cat.

It felt very Mike Leigh.

Slothrop
16-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Anders Ilar - Nightwidth

Mahler - Das Lied von der Erde (Bruno Walther / Kathleen Ferrier recording), about up to the third movement atm.

Oh, and earlier I listened to Baby D - Let Me Be Your Fantasy via youtube as a result of a discussion on another forum... score.

slye
16-12-2006, 12:22 AM
psyche - crackdown
ur - sonic ep
ur - riot ep
tim buckley - happy sad
gil e jorge
paperclip people - the secret tapes of dr. eich
burning spear - burning spear
sa-fire - let me be the one

polystyle desu
16-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Guy glad you brought this thread back , was one of the best feature threads ...

This morning (so far)
Selections from the YMO Go Home ! collection
Le Femme Chinoise, Cue, U.T, Insomnia, Behind The Mask
just finished ...

Was handed a CDR of My Brightest Diamond last night , but haven't listened yet.
Sounded promising >

DJL
16-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Got this soul/electro mix from Mark Archer/Nexus 21/Altern8's Myspace page:

01 Cameo - She's Strange
02 Rochelle - Magic Man
03 Art Of Noise - Into Battle
04 Pennye Ford - Dangerous On The Dancefloor
05 Joyce Sims - All & All
06 SOS Band - The Finest
07 Colonel Abrams - Trapped
08 Fonda Rae - Tuch Me (All Night Long)
09 Aleem - Release Yourself
10 D Train - Your The One For Me
11 Cherrelle - Saturday Love
12 Cameo - Single Life
13 Warp 9 - Nunk (New Wave Funk)
14 Herbie Hancock - Rock It
15 Unique - What I Got Is What You Need
16 Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - I Wonder If I Take You Home
17 Xena - On The Upside
18 Luther Vandross - I Didn't Really Mean It
19 Shannon - Stronger Together
20 Steve Arrington - Dancing In The Key Of Life
21 Hot Streak - BodyWork
22 Carol Lynn Townes - 99 1/2
23 Ollie & Jerry - Showdown
24 Shannon - Let The Music Play
25 Evelyn King - Love Come Down
25 Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life
26 Change - You Are My Melody
27 Royalle Delite - I'll Be A Freak For You
28 Malcolm McLaren - Buffalo Gals
29 Rufus & Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody
30 Loose Ends - Hangin' On A String

www.myspace.com/mrnex

Been listening to it a lot - is really gd. :)

mms
16-12-2006, 05:44 PM
been listening to live evil by miles walking up and down oxford street, and into the shops.
i bought some christmas presents, until i went to muji to buy my dad a shirt and i was told they wouldn't authorise it. so i went to the bank to see if there was anything wrong with my account and the cash machine wouldn't show me, waited in the cue with other people experiencing similar failures but got bored so called em up and found out i had the cash but got cut off trying to sort it out.
when i got home and called em it turned out my spending was a bit too radical for em, luxury goods, perfume for my sister etc, in john lewis followed by a mobile phone fr my mum so they had locked off my account, all the hallmarks of a teenage thief's wish list.
Anyway got home packed the pressies listened to johnny hammonds gears, having a fusion thing at the mo.

Guybrush
17-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Again and again and again:

Kylie Minogue's cover of ‘Tears on My Pillow’ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cgqH80jnOo)

I ended my set with it too, it worked pretty well (i.e. loads of canoodling).

MankyFiver
17-12-2006, 04:39 PM
bit of a wasted day and just emerging but so far

dusk at cubist castle - olivia tremor control
jardin interior - las malas amistades

zhao
18-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Kahyan Kalhor & Ali Akbar Moradi - In the Mirror of the Sky -- amazing

Haydn - The Piano Sonatas 12 disc collection -- awesome

Cecil Lytle - Words for a Hymn to the Sun/The Complete Piano Music of G.I. Gurdjieff and Th. De Hartmann, Vol. 3 -- amazing

Sleep Archive - Hospital Tracks -- sound like techno pan sonic, nice

Nas - Hiphop is Dead -- (sure is! this pretty much sucks not even sabbath-sample or a song called "black republican" can save it don't waste your time)

the undisputed truth
18-12-2006, 04:58 AM
forensics latest mixtape and it's bloody good too...kinda scubaish

FORENSICS - December 2006 MIX

1. Forensics - New and Improved
2. Madosini - Yaka Yaka (Code Tripper remix)
3. Madosini - Holdback (Jung Collective rehash)
4. Secret Agent Gel - Downhill
5. Ramadanman - Good Feelings (remaster)
6. Ramadanman - Chauffer
7. Secret Agent Gel - Undergrowth
8. Secret Agent Gel - Trappist
9. Secret Agent Gel - Letter Dub
10. Pure - Mystery Track
11. BunZero - Subliminal Skank
12. Ramadanman - Equator
13. Ramadanman - Agreement
14. Ramadanman - Each Time
15. Wolf Man - Full Moon Murderers

RUNNING TIME: 40 MINUTES

DOWNLOAD IT HERE:
http://smokering.co.uk/main/dload.php?action=file&file_id=139

VOTE FOR HIM IN THE DUBSTEPFORUM
AWARDS, Best Newcomer Category
http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12039

:D

labrat
19-12-2006, 10:15 AM
John Bender-Plaster Falling http://news.mrdwab.com/category/music/
very K Punk

gumdrops
19-12-2006, 12:19 PM
pulp - different class (the second cd of demos and b sides which are so brilliant and a 100 times better than the new jarvis album)
dj spooky - riddim warfare/songs of a dead dreamer
clipse - hell hath no fury (well some of it)
gang of four - damaged goods

run_time
19-12-2006, 04:55 PM
James Lavelle - Cream 2
ages old eclectic mix that brings back fond memories

Trentemoller Essential Mix

Radio Slave 30/9/2006

the undisputed truth
19-12-2006, 11:57 PM
From 1998. This album had the hugest bass sound around at the time and it still rates...

In effect mode - Al B Sure

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002LD5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

...surely the pinnacle of nu jack swing !!!

and you gotta love the monobrow...

polystyle desu
21-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Harmonia - Immer Wieder
DAF - Fur Immer
Torque - Droid Sector 3 Proton

Did try that My Brightest Diamond - Bring Me The Workhorse ...
but er ... no way

bunnyhausen
21-12-2006, 07:39 PM
been listening through:

caetano veloso: araca azul

walter smetak: material do contrucao

Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare

Rogerio Duprat - Banda Tropicalista do Duprat

DJ Marlboro - Brasil Funk 2006

just got back from a week in Brasil. Found some good record shops!

the undisputed truth
21-12-2006, 09:05 PM
ILS - Soul Trader

From 2002 on Marine Parade

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3386/ilssoultrader0320069gd.jpg

1 Next Level (5:43)
2 Are You Ready (5:44)
3 Prohibition (4:05)
4 Only Way To Survive (4:03)
5 Find A Way (5:59)
6 Western World (4:01)
7 No Soul (5:21)
8 Feel Alright (5:35)
9 Kashmir (5:29)
10 Music (5:46)
11 Jackpot (5:15)
12 Trapped (4:40)

the finest breaks record to date...

petergunn
21-12-2006, 09:10 PM
i listened to Dancing Days by Led Zeppelin about 17 times yesterday... i am some sort of asshole...

bruno
21-12-2006, 09:38 PM
http://www.sequence-records.com/sklep/plyty/thumb/+fun_happy.jpg

Poisonous Dart
21-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Kahyan Kalhor & Ali Akbar Moradi - In the Mirror of the Sky -- amazing

Haydn - The Piano Sonatas 12 disc collection -- awesome

Cecil Lytle - Words for a Hymn to the Sun/The Complete Piano Music of G.I. Gurdjieff and Th. De Hartmann, Vol. 3 -- amazing

Sleep Archive - Hospital Tracks -- sound like techno pan sonic, nice

Nas - Hiphop is Dead -- (sure is! this pretty much sucks not even sabbath-sample or a song called "black republican" can save it don't waste your time)

I'm not trying to start anything, but judging by your first three selections^ do YOU think you're the person to say that Nas' album sucks or that hip hop is "dead"? Stick to what you know...PLEASE. One.

lazybones
22-12-2006, 03:12 AM
rhythm and sound cds
carl craig - chicken noodle soup and the 12" its off
geiom - berkane sol 12" 1,2 and 3...
burial - breezeblock mix by kode9 (there are some amazing tunes on it that did not end up on the album sadly)
high planes drifter - somewhere/4x4 lick 12"
biconicals of the rammellzee... was not as good as i thought it would be, the guy has so much theory and imagery that is interesting but alot of the tunes sound almost goofy, for lack of a better word, not really electro-y at all)
wiley - flyboy ep
trim/newhams - boogey man 12" white label
blackdown keysound mix - some sick beats there,,,
kode9-fat larry's skank remix
quest - overdose
dj hatcha - dub express ep
groove chronicles - stoned cold12"
wu tang clan - 36 chambers
bugz in the attic - fabric mix cd
semtex - grime wave
mantronix - the album
jay dee - welcome 2 detroit
dj screw mixtapes
lutan fyah - whitewash walls rhythm and sound edit 7"
mykal rose - let your love r&s edit 7"
some anthony braxton live mp3s..

on holiday so managed to cram alot in!

not without my neighbour threatening to "let the shit hit the fan" if i carried on listening to music past 11pm... what exactly are the laws on this??im in a flat in london and this guy loses it no matter what volume i have my music it, whenever hes in... the second i turn it up a little (say 10% Vol on a 50 w amp with decent speakers) he turns up screaming at the door,saying hes calling the police,getting me evicted etc etc ... what rights does the music listener have against some loon like this\?? (he also stated that i;m "not allowed to listen to music or watch tv after 11" !!!! ):eek:

bruno
22-12-2006, 04:26 AM
I'm not trying to start anything, but judging by your first three selections^ do YOU think you're the person to say that Nas' album sucks or that hip hop is "dead"? Stick to what you know...PLEASE. One.
you might want to leave this one out of the anthology..

MankyFiver
22-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Baroque EP - Chateau Flight
Mind Fluid - Nu Yorican Soul
Loggins & Messina - Loggins & Messina

but i really need to go and do my xmas shopping

polystyle desu
22-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Mika Nakashima & Black Stones - Hito iro (One Color) from NANA 2
has taken me over !

swears
22-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Mariah Carey - "Fantasy" 1994 version.

nicnic
22-12-2006, 05:30 PM
http://us-f2-edit.store.yahoo.com/I/2for10_1926_134293096

MankyFiver
22-12-2006, 06:40 PM
as i wrap my presents and enjoy the little carolers under my bed
ive been playing

lets start the dance - bohannon
gone gone gone - johnny mathis
groovin with mr bloe
atomic dog -george clinton
quantum jump - lone ranger
atlantis to interzone - klaxons
mary wanna - the lat teens
bo mambo - yma sumac
hater - various
blue honey - pop levi
all i wanna do is break some hearts - kreeps
tiptoe - glitch
radar love - golden earring
not bite - red tranisistor
when the curtain falls for you - jonathan fire eater
times like these - foo fighters
frankenstein - edgar winter group
jet boy jet girl - elton motello
jeopardy - greg kihn
captain starlight - zazu
feel the drive - doctors cat
jump drive shut out - stereolab
love and caring - crystal castles
the night - valerie dore

so far...

Troy
22-12-2006, 06:59 PM
"Jackie's Bag" - Jackie McLean

MankyFiver
22-12-2006, 07:59 PM
right all wrapped and also fed and now in a world of unease
i got there by playing these

get me back on time engine #9 - national soul review
pick up the pieces - hudson ford
she's wrapped too tight - edwin birdsong
double shadow - junior boys
jah lick we - michigan and smiley
wa do dem - eek a mouse
signs - snoop and justin timberlake
starlight - escort
cathedrals - dc la rue
snakes and ladders (rub n tug mix) - sly mongoose
another station (todd terje mix) - lindstrom
who do you think you are - camberwick green
islands in the stream - dolly parton and kenny rodgers
just one more night - yellow dog
white punks on dope - the tubes

polystyle desu
23-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Black Stones w/ Mika Nakashima - Glamourous Sky.
Written by Hyde from L'Arc En Ciel (or something like that)
Aaah , turns out that G Sky theme from NANA 1 was better then Hito Iro from NANA 2

The Numbers Pieces CD on Delic Records, Tokyo
Ultra cut up club and hiphop tuneage '06

MankyFiver
23-12-2006, 02:03 AM
just as i go to sleep

i drove all night - cyndi lauper

" crept in your room, woke you from your sleep just to make love to you"

wish me luck!

polystyle desu
25-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Silent Shout by the Knife. Album's grown on me after a few listens ,
some cuts i find a bit daffy , maddening as the Album seems to alternate between good cuts , and slightly nutty -club odd ones (Title cut , The Captain , Forest Families yeah)
Like the synths sometimes , their treated vocals sometimes yes, sometimes no

Drum's Not Dead by Liars. Looking at the titles i could see this was prolly going to be rough,
first cut Be Quiet Mr.Heart Attack! hmmm well, alright let's hear this ...
Second cut wait a minute , sorry this went off the deck. Giving this one bk

Band Wagon Shigeru Suzuki. Guitarist from Happy End's second solo joint
I do recognize Bill Payne from Little Feat (!) pianoing away in the mix.
This goes down easier, pleasant enough, does become BGM after a while though

Guybrush
25-01-2007, 11:09 PM
I’m in the midst of my annual only-listen-to-old-music-for-a-month phase, a great way to reload the batteries. Today I have finally found a Sylvester track I love, namely ‘Over and Over’; it’s all about the two breaks, with the party-crowd rumbling and chanting for, what feels like, an eternity. As with all good grooves, it just gets better and better the longer you listen (listen? DANCE!) to it, ideally it should be at least three times as long (half an hour of rejoicing!). Those handclaps...

shudder
25-01-2007, 11:13 PM
resuscitating this thread is definitely a good idea.

Joanna Newsom - Ys. All this talk and bluster 'round these, I had to go back and check. Still love it.

Wiley - Tunnel Vision - various cuts here and there off 1 and 2. He'll be sorely missed. Can't wait for the album.

Shackleton - Blood on my hands - picked this up recently, and I've been hooked. I love the feel of the A side, and the two on the back are great too. B1, Naked, is sorta in Kode 9-y territory, with organ/melodica-ish sounds, and AWESOME sub-bass glissandos. B2, Hypo Angel, has some sort of Indian or Arab singing over a cavernous beat. Blackdown would surely dig.

zhao
26-01-2007, 02:01 AM
today was all about Ligetti.

I listened to Chamber concerto for 13 instrumentalists, String Quartet No. 1 and No. 2, and the Ligeti Project 2 and 3 in their entirety.

zhao
26-01-2007, 07:24 PM
started the day off with classic Klezmer recordings from the 1930s. a very nice drive to work.

and now in the office my headphones are soaking in the gorgeous sounds of Gerard Grisey's Solo Pour Deux... the Clarinette pieces are so nice... like giant cats purring!

bruno
26-01-2007, 07:45 PM
whale songs lp rip from the agp (http://www.avantgardeproject.org/AGP28/index.htm). at full volume it's the strangest thing you'll ever hear.

zhao
26-01-2007, 11:15 PM
whale songs lp rip from the agp (http://www.avantgardeproject.org/AGP28/index.htm). at full volume it's the strangest thing you'll ever hear.

wow nice. whale songs are wicked. I think it is spectral

Parson
26-01-2007, 11:35 PM
skinny puppy - cleanse fold and manipulate

Martin Dust
27-01-2007, 09:26 AM
EVP recordings...

mms
27-01-2007, 09:51 AM
led zeppelin and the mover cold rush stuff

zhao
27-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Ben Frost - Theory of Machines

Al Comet - Comet

OOIOO - Kila Kila Kila

and yes new pole is a winner

claphands
27-01-2007, 11:53 PM
some new and old southern classics followed by my favorite ablum on def jux:

tre-8 - ghetto stories
jeezy - thug motivation 101
triple six mafia - undergrodn volume 1
dj screw - barre
cannibal ox - the cold vein

a bit of mpb:

doris monteiro - s/t
jorge ben - s/t

back down south:
np: trae - restless

mistersloane
28-01-2007, 12:31 AM
7000 .wav samples varying from melltrons to oberheim DMXs to throat singers. My head hurts.

krankissey
31-01-2007, 04:51 AM
va - jungle soundclash v. 1
morrissey mix i made
dj ayres & tittsworth - ayres and titties
!!! - whatever the new album is called
donovan - sunshine superman

slye
31-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I love hearin these!!

today is my electro freak out day. Maybe it's the cold, dark weather we are havin' out here. :rolleyes:

Hmmm..

Lory D style techno
Dopplereffekt
Omd (Maid of Orleans)
Clone comp-We Still Kill the Old Way.

nothing new but hey
still love it

yes yes! nothing like cold music for a cold day. recently did a mix based on this premise!!

dopplereffekt are really great, gesamtkunstwerk especially. are you pretty into omd? i've been curious about them for awhile now, but unsure of a good "jumping off point" to get into them. is there a particular record you would suggest (coming from the icy synth pop angle)?

gumdrops
31-01-2007, 11:41 AM
new order's album power corruption and lies
they really were trying a lot of new things on there - still sounds amazingly fresh (although bernard sumner doesnt sound totally confident yet)

leamas
31-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Susanna and the Magical Orchestra - Enjoy The Silence
Tom Waits - World Keeps Turning
Harold Budd - Chet
Adem - Let it Burn
Vangelis - Blade Runner Blues
Opus III - It's a Fine Day
Steve Reich - New York Counterpoint
Raiders of the Lost Arp - Miles
Gosub - Data Mining in Anthilia
Peshay - The Piano Tune

Tunes.

mms
31-01-2007, 06:19 PM
ashra - new age of earth, so borderline new agey massage room music it's not true but thats what i need today somehow.

followed by nation of ulysses - 'plays pretty for baby' to tear away the calm pleasantness.

Mr. Tea
31-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Mogwai - Come On Die Young
Revolting Cocks - Beers, Steers and Queers
Devin Townsend - Infinity

Immryr
31-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Repulsion - Horrorfied
Eyehategod - Dopesick
godheadSilo - Elephantitus Of The Night
Logan Sama set from kiss with Ghetto, Devlin, Scorcher, Wretch and Lightning

mistersloane
31-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Repulsion - Horrorfied
Eyehategod - Dopesick
godheadSilo - Elephantitus Of The Night
Logan Sama set from kiss with Ghetto, Devlin, Scorcher, Wretch and Lightning

Dopesick is wicked.

gek-opel
31-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Wolf Eyes - Human Animal
Xenakis - Persepolis, Kraanerg, Eonta

zhao
31-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Harold Budd - Chet

never heard of this Budd album? (amazon hasn't either) what is it? when did it come out?

I just got 5 or 6 eyehategod albums... looking forward to diving in :mad: :D :mad: :D :mad:

Octopus?
31-01-2007, 08:40 PM
I just got 5 or 6 eyehategod albums... looking forward to diving in :mad: :D :mad: :D :mad:

God bless Eyehategod...4 minutes of feedback, 2 minute song, 3 minutes closing feedback. One of my favourite bands of all time.

MankyFiver
31-01-2007, 08:59 PM
before i left for work Pizzy Elliot - could you be loved
home now its been Boris - Pink, been trying but still not getting it, and Atomic Cafe: French Cuts 2 - great comp of french 60s pop music - yum