Can you smell impeachment?

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE

Guybrush

Dittohead
Yes and no. Allah knows they are deserving of one. But as we are heading for an election year, the dems have to make all kinds of political considerations (how weary the populace is of partisan bickering, etc.), so nothing is certain. A good summary in today’s Washington Post.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
What's interesting about what's happening in Vermont is this is a truly grass roots effort from voters, not politicians, pressuring their leaders into acting.

The Dems are trying to resist this for the reasons you say, but the people that vote for them seem to be on the warpath...

polystyle

And rightly so ... !!!
The Scooter Libby guilty verdict yesterday sure cast a baleful sad, light on henchy Cheney's Gov ego
didn't it ?
Aw Dick, they found blood clot in his leg , missed getting blown up in Afghanistan the other week - it's hard being VP.
Rough out there for those who send people into war but don't ever get close to serving themselves or their relatives.
Send DC to a Veteran's Hospital and see if he can make it out alive.
Chips and clots, fall where they may

Last edited by a moderator:

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for heads up. certainly exciting good news... which ever way the chips fall.

N

nomadologist

i would personally rather let them stay and continue to obliterate any political "legacy" they may have, take full blame for their failings as approval ratings plummet, so then when the democrats take office and improve things they'll be seen as the heroes that they'll undoubtedly be (or seem like they are, at least...)

N

nomadologist

Yes and no. Allah knows they are deserving of one. But as we are heading for an election year, the dems have to make all kinds of political considerations (how weary the populace is of partisan bickering, etc.), so nothing is certain. A good summary in today’s Washington Post.

i like how Guybrush says "we", as if he lives here

mms

sometimes
Yes please. then blair, then war crimes tribunal.
Hasn't Cheney got a possible long prison sentence hanging over his heed?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The biggest threat to Blair is looking like the investigation of the cash-for-honours affair. Can't really see anything coming of it, though.

vimothy

yurp
Yes please. then blair, then war crimes tribunal.
Hasn't Cheney got a possible long prison sentence hanging over his heed?

In what sense is Blair guilty of war crimes? I know people here disagree with his rational for going into Iraq, but war crimes seems pretty strong.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Is that a "war crime" literally? And can someone explain the legal basis for describing the war as a crime or point me in the direction of some writers that do? Thanks

By ‘war crime’ I think they mean having violated international law, or, on this instance: having violated Iraq’s national sovereignty. Hitchens brought up the arguments for it not to be considered a war crime at the opening of his debate with Galloway, linked to below.

The Hitchens-Galloway Debate

I can dig up his written argument too, if you want me to.

vimothy

yurp
By ‘war crime’ I think they mean having violated international law, or, on this instance: having violated Iraq’s national sovereignty. Hitchens brought up the arguments for it not to be considered a war crime at the opening of his debate with Galloway, linked to below.

The Hitchens-Galloway Debate

I can dig up his written argument too, if you want me to.

I'm familiar with Hitchen's argument - I think it's pretty good - and I would appreciate a link to the written version. Thanks.

What I really want to know though is the detail - how has international law been broken, where, what are the consequences, what are the precedents, etc - anyone know any good links to any laywers working in the field writing blogs, for instance? Anyone here got a background in international law or just law generally?

craner

Beast of Burden
The "legality" question will never be sufficiently resolved. I remember Tony Benn's response to the No Fly Zones that protected the Kurdish statelet and the Shi'ite South for a decade: "but...they're...illegal!" (He could equate No Fly Zones with ruinous economic and cultural sanctions, which was a skill of some sort. The latter, of course, killed a lot of people; the former, though never being authroised by the UN, saved a lot of people. Bit of an odd position for Benn to take.) I think you'll read something as clear and precise and academically rigorous as Detter and still be having the same arguments.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

It doesn't matter where you live, the results of a US election affect everyone in the world.

I guess my point is, I'd never talk about "our upcoming election year" if I were to talk about Sweden's, so it's funny to hear other people talk about America's as if they're here.