turkish(?) street dancing music question

stelfox

Beast of Burden
N15 Street Dancing

posted the-above-linked video on the sterns thread, but i want to know what kind of music these guys are playing, where i can buy it and who are the best names to look out for.
i don't even know for sure that it's turkish, but think it might be, given the area this was happening and the general musical style.
filmed this 2 weeks ago on west green road, near my new yard. was very cool to see and, for old dudes, they can really dance.

Last edited:

tht

akstavrh
this isn't a facetious question (hopefully)

why didn't you ask them?

good stuff anyway

STN

sou'wester
I think there's a Turkish music shop in Seven Sisters market - maybe you could ask if the event was Turkish and what it was in there? I reckon they would know...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
where is that? i don't know the area so well. i've just moved there.
didn't ask coz i was in a rush.

STN

sou'wester
The market is right by the tube station, on the northwest side. You could be forgiven for never, ever noticing it.

Other 7 Sisters stuff: Every Body Music is also worth a look for (mostly Big People) reggae, and Gabriel Heatwave tells me there's a good secondhand reggae shop somewhere round the one way system.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
do you mean the indoor market with all the colombian stuff inside?
if you do, i think that's the coolest place i've discovered so far, but no turkish people

STN

sou'wester
yeah that's it. I am sure there was a Turkish music shop there but I may have imagined it, oh dear. It's a bit of a confusing place...

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
There's a couple of Turkish music shops on Green Lanes. Both are near the railway bridge which serves Harringay Green Lanes station. I'll see if I can clock the names on the way home tonight, Stelfox.

Don't Turkish weddings involve an enormous amount of dancing, but often very little drinking? (I don't know if I could get the hang of that combination to be honest).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a shop along Green Lanes that calls itself The Best Greek Music Shop In The World (including Greece? :slanted: ), but yeah, it's generally Turkish, although many of the people are actually ethnic Kurds.

Damn, I miss the Lanes. :(

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yeah, I was gonna suggest that one. Great name eh.

This year I've made it my mission to go to all the restaurants on Green Lanes. Doing quite well so far- done about ten. I've never particularly loved the music I've heard though- it's OK, but nondescript I think.

mms

sometimes
Yeah, I was gonna suggest that one. Great name eh.

This year I've made it my mission to go to all the restaurants on Green Lanes. Doing quite well so far- done about ten. I've never particularly loved the music I've heard though- it's OK, but nondescript I think.
excellent some top ones down there, antipilier is particulary good.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I was actually going to do a whole blog about them, but I dunno if I'll get round to it. Antepillar is indeed ace. My top ones are

Bingol
Mesopotamia (which judging by the name is part Turkish, part Iraqi)
Sofra
Antepillar
Harran

But you know, you're guaranteed some ace food in all of them, really.

trouc

trouc
I'm not an expert, but it reminds me a lot of some of the stuff on <a href="">this disc</a> which is made up of archival recordings from the early early 1900's. Worth checking out.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
even i've been to selale on green's lane- very good too.
some good pubs round there too

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Selale's is one of the sub-genre of Turkish restaurants which have water features (usually fake waterfalls) in the back. There's another one just down the road with a similarly watery ambience.

I'm working up quite a thread-hijack here, aren't I?

STN

sou'wester
Well, I always like to do my bit for thread derailment - anyone ever been to Stone Cave on Kingsland High Street? It's all done up to look like a cave. Magic.

Numara Bos Cirricks 1, 2 and 3 are bloody good restaurants round that way too.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'm still down with the arcola street mangal ocakbasi - you won't find better than there.
and yes, would you all please quit with the restaurant talk untill my question has been answered!!!
(if nothing else i am seriously hungry at the moment and this is not helping.)

question answered on the other thread, as you were... any other good places to eat?
my stipulation is that they must do good lambchops and kofte.

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
i'm still down with the arcola street mangal ocakbasi - you won't find better than there.

mmm, that was nice! :cool:

my source says: The raucous wind instrument is probably a dzurna - lots of different spellings, and maybe also referred to as ney or mei... it's a double reed instrument, which is why it's so loud and can be used outdoors...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, ed managed to fully edify me on another thread. it was deafeningly loud, though - kind of incredible.
i want much, much more of this music now.