the nme dubstep article

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Not enough DMZ love, but it pushes people in the right direction to places where they can find out the correct information.

dubstep forum and rinse fm etc

boomnoise

♫
can't help but have some gripes with this, although it is pretty much factually accurate thanks to martin.

but the following really gets me:

'the whole scene revolves around ammunition promotions'

grrr!

is it ok if i think to this on dubstepforum please mate?

Seems pretty accurate to me but....
was NME always written in the style of Smash Hits or is it just me?
didn't it used to be aimed at people who already had SOME clue what was going on?

I suppose most publications are written for morons these days.... the free papers they give away on the tube do my head right in.

Is this article an old one. Hatcha & Plastician on Rinse?

I do wonder sometimes why more isn't made of the significance of Hatcha's show. It's the closest Dubstep's got to a national show, everyone has it on Freeview, and if Kiss can be bothered broadcasting it to the Belfast DAB network then I'm sure you can pick it up in most parts of Britain bar the Orkney Islands.

Does the premise of the article ring true though? Listing one club doesn't sound like a Dubstep takeover of the Indie scene. Sounds like a bad news day in my opinion

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
White Heat, one of the clubs mentioned, did used to put grime people on occasionally, funnily enough. I think both Kano and Lethal B have played there. Weird eh.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Its basically accurate, but it just reminds me of why I hate the NME, the massive picture:text ratio, the horrible sense of smugness... Its also weirdly dry for the current style of the NME, filled with the necessary vaguely esoteric information... finally who the FUCK are the Maccabees, and why should anyone care if they "adore" dubstep...
Ho and furthermore: Hum.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
maccabees are a crap indie band, not really that big but i think nme kinda likes them. Probably likes em alot more now they found they "adore" dubstep.

back when Melody Maker were around

Seems pretty accurate to me but....
was NME always written in the style of Smash Hits or is it just me?
didn't it used to be aimed at people who already had SOME clue what was going on?

I suppose most publications are written for morons these days.... the free papers they give away on the tube do my head right in.

NME and them didn't use to be like this but were talking around oooh...7- 8 years ago (man I feel old lol) I stopped buying all that stuff around 99 - 00 so can't say anything else though the little I see from it now...its really a joke - more like a sad comic

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
There was a period I think from between around about '98-'99 up until The Strokes arrived on the scene when they didn't really know what they were doing. You might see Aphex Twin, Missy Elliot, Aaliyah, Eminem, or Godspeed you Black Emperor on the cover depending on the week. I think they nearly went bust around then though. That era from 99 to 01 was an interesting couple of years in music, you felt like something was on the horizon...and what was it? More indie!

Last edited:
There was a period I think from between around about '98-'99 up until The Strokes arrived on the scene when they didn't really know what they were doing. You might see Aphex Twin, Missy Elliot, Aaliyah, Eminem, or Godspeed you Black Emperor on the cover depending on the week. I think they nearly went bust around then though. That era from 99 to 01 was an interesting couple of years in music, you felt like something was on the horizon...and what was it? More indie!

this was also the period when trance and then hard house more or less took over...reflected in sales in both singles and (in the in the form of compilations) albums.

I've heard it on good authority that there wasa a genuine feeling of anger and bewilderment at the NME that this was happening and really endangering their precious guitars... remember for a year or 2 this wasnt just the music of "the youth on the estates" (ie the kind of people the NME deep down hates and ignores) but even started to briefly make inroads into their precious student audience (for 3 or 4 years only about 1 or 2 guitar bands a year broke through at all)...

Whatever you think about trance anything that pissed off the NME like this and threatened the hegemony of dinosaur guitar shite had to be a good thing...

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
i guess the 'hip-hop stole the show' issue was the straw that broke the camels back. and destiny's child on the front cover. and fischerspooner.

then the strokes + stripes saved the world :*)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah- that's the only era I ever read it- the sense of them not having a clue what was going on led to some actually ok coverage.

tate

Brown Sugar
As someone located in the US, it is always noteworthy to see how much attention and debate can be generated by the NME. Nomadologist mentioned a while ago on dissensus that the US simply does not have a similar comparand. Rolling Stone or Spin would, I guess, be the closest thing, yet they have seemed irrelevant for years - in Rolling Stone's case, I would say for decades. I for one can't remember the last time that I even looked at the cover of Rolling Stone, much less considered what was inside. I certainly couldn't tell you one thing about its preferences, writers, coverage of trends, or relevance for contemporary music audiences. This must have something to do with the size of the two countries and the difference in population? Or is there another explanation? I mean, with 300 million people in the states, someone buys these magazines, but that doesn't mean that they feel influential at all. Sorry, this was aside to the topic at hand I realize . . .