THE STOOGES - THE WEIRDNESS - its a keeper!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Hated the track getting played on the radio. 'My idea of fun' sounded like Iggy trying to sound like Kim Gordon (VOMITS VIOLENTLY)..

But Ron asheton is in top form, watt gives it a wicked thump. This coulda been better had that tosshead Steve Albini done such uninspired production work. Proves what a one-trick-pony hack the '90s band' tosser really is.

xenon

Wild Horses
c'mon, i really wanted to like this, but, it's just not that good. Not to say it's shit, but it just comes nowhere near to standing up to there previous efforts.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The little I've heard confirms the Ig has lost the unique blend of intelligence and stupidity that made his key (old) stuff so thrilling... now its just plain dumb.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I saw two shows they did at an ATP back in December, and it was admittedly a really fun show.

However, I was quite shocked by how stage managed the mayhem was. Having sen the first show, when it came to the second one, the majority of the jumping on speakers, stage diving and hollered ad libs occured in exactly the same way, and at the same time, in both sets. Of course, this never did James Brown much harm, but still, Iggy's shouts of "get up here! destroy this shit!" are about as off the cuff as Spinal Tap rehearsing their "Hello Cleveland! Hello Cleveland!" while they're on the way to the stage.

As for the bit where people jump up on stage and "party with Iggy", that also was the same from night to night. Indeed, I'm pretty sure quite a few of the revellers were just part of the entourage who were watching from the wings.

No real surprises I guess, but it's mildly sad that it's just as much showbusiness as a Kylie show.

petergunn

plywood violin
The little I've heard confirms the Ig has lost the unique blend of intelligence and stupidity that made his key (old) stuff so thrilling... now its just plain dumb.

well, it's like before he was dumb/smart and now he is smart/dumb... he doesn't know how to write stooges lyrics anymore.

Leo

However, I was quite shocked by how stage managed the mayhem was.

ha, SO funny you mention that...i saw them on their first reunion tour swing thru nyc at the roseland ballroom and it was a blast, but then a few months later got that reunion dvd from a show in detroit or something and you're right: all the same moves, the same "everyone get up on the stage" routine, pretty much everything. oh well, at least it was fun at the time and ron asheton's guitar sounded just like the original records, only MUCH LOUDER.

haven't heard all of the new album, seems like a basic iggy solo thing to me.

D

dubversion

i'm not especially surprised or disappointed to discover it's dire :(

really lifeless and charmless and pointless

Buick6

too punk to drunk
This album will last longer than yr boring dated two-step and Burial records. I'll bet the farm on it..

I mean the Stooges are never gonna be the same band as they were in the early 70s the same way that My Bloody Valentine or Trickey will never make a truly decent record ever again..

Have you hamores actually listened to the record more than 30 seconds to write it off?

Lyrics like 'baby baby you look good to me, your hair has energy, my dick is turning into a tree' has a bawdy sense of poetry that Antony and the Johnsoins could never muster in the steamiest sauna, and the track has more punked out raunch and splatter than any of the boring electro shit that passes as 'techno' these days...But then Ig says 'rock critics wouldn't like this at all' so go figure...

'Free and freaky' has a more interesting and primitve rhythmic shuffle than fucken the Focus Group, even though the chorus sounds like a John Cougar Mellencamp song...

But the real, TRUE blinder here is 'I'm Fried'...you got pure FUNHOUSE jam, and fat ROn Asheton spitting out one of the most breathlessly teeth-crushing MODERN guitar solos of the 00s, and of course the sax. The only problem is how badly Albini fucked up the production.

I'd like to see a 20-30 something Oxford/New York/London tosshead spit something out as inspiring and fresh as that.

But it shows how shallow you fuckers are at actually LISTENING to music. Just keep thinking about it boys...

xenon

Wild Horses
But the real, TRUE blinder here is 'I'm Fried'...you got pure FUNHOUSE jam, and fat ROn Asheton spitting out one of the most breathlessly teeth-crushing MODERN guitar solos of the 00s, and of course the sax. The only problem is how badly Albini fucked up the production.
But it shows how shallow you fuckers are at actually LISTENING to music. Just keep thinking about it boys...

The end of 'I'm Fried' was pretty decent. Also, you do have a point about the production. Maybe Iggy should re-do it like he did on 'Raw Power' when Bowie fucked it up, and we may get some interesting results. However, I still think you're pushing you're argument a little too far. This album lacks so much, just leaving it sounding flat in many ways. And yes, I LISTENED to the album the whole way through, before you go calling me a 'shallow fucker'.

tate

Brown Sugar
What is it about Albini's work that people find objectionable w/r/t this particular album? (have not heard the record myself)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
He has no idea how to record/mix any instrument (besides drums) that is not plugged into a wall.

N

nomadologist

whoa steve albini mixed a stooges record? oh wait, it was released in 2007? nevermind.

steve albini has hit that point in his career arc (this career built, mind you, on the idea that he *didn't* have a signature sound, that he was an "anti-producer") where his formula has worked and made so much money he does prestige projects for people who basically bank on the Albini touch turning shit to gold

who would ever dare imagine for a second that a new stooges record would be good? come on now. i'll buy it just to be make my contribution to iggy pop's royalty check.

everyone has to eat/retire, even steely old ex-junkie macrobiotics.