J

johnny_yen

dorn_gif.jpg

"Modules: constant and fixed= straight striated space; regularly variable= focalized modular curved striated space, irregularly variable=nonfocalized modular curved striated space. A nomos A logos (e.g. the octave) Non-octave-forming scales reproduced through spiraling. Smooth is continuous variation, continuous development of form Striated intertwines fixed and variable elements, producing order and succession of distinct forms." - The Smooth and the Striated, Mark Bonta

"Dorn began to write Gunslinger, one of the major North American long poems, first published as a sequence of books while in progress and finally as one volume in 1975, the year after its completion. Those years saw the Dorns in Chicago, in Mexico, and, with occasional breaks, in San Francisco. Dorn's early newspaper experience and his work in the Print Shop at Black Mountain combined in the tabloid Bean News, with contributions by Prynne and other correspondents. His neighbour Holbrook Teter's old linotype machine, held together with wire, produced the type for this, and for the complete Gunslinger, while Teter's partner Michael Myers drew the elegant cover for Recollections of Gran Apachería, Dorn's next book." - http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/dorn/

wiki given

"A great treat awaits those who are yet ignorant of Gunslinger. Elmborg has a good time discussing the attempts that have been made to place Gunslinger in a genre. Is the poem comic opera, comedy, an anti-epic, an allegory, mock-epic, or a romance. It is all and none of the above. These futile attempts to pigeonhole a work that breaks down categories, defies authority and reduces if not eliminates distinctions are themselves somewhat comical. Literature exists outside the university English Departments. While some of it is there being routinely contaminated with redundant exegesis, literature's more permanent repose is the minds of people willing to have their states elevated and their intellects instructed while their emotions are assuaged and purged. Obviously a single great poem cannot break the university monopoly on irrelevance, but Gunslinger is certainly one of the ones that is having that unintentional effect. It is also, for the record, the greatest contribution to civilization made on cocaine since Sigmund Freud's The [Mis]Interpretation of Dreams." - http://centomag.org/dorn/potts2

Smooth, quick runway, prompt vomiting
of the dinner flight from "El A Equi,"
dark ramps, sparse migrations through the Stapleton
pre-corrupt Hall of Peña DIA
midcontinent mid-brain aerodrome
of the 50 colonies of the States United,

10:50 PM Mountain time. Deflation severe -
almost the aesthetic equivalent of the bends; mucho,
hugely diminished lights, the whole pizzaz
of electronic pretense cranked down
to enablement, enough by which to get home.

Topping the green belt ridge (except for a shack or two
and a confused dog in the distance, a golfer, a nutzo wideboy,
fresh from a spontaneous murder in Louisville--
pronounced Loois vill--there is not the slightest
stir of a single solitary blade of prairie grass.)

Back to Bold Boudoir, from a closely packed,
long weekend in Hollywood. It is a big lowering of the tone--
so strong that all one's reserves, stored up over a lifetime,
spill out into the general flood of the wettest season
the heartland has seen since the last glaciation.

After consorting with Heidi, if only in the public print,
Bold Boudoir's intolerable clash and sweat of bicycle wars
can't come close to Babylon - in fact, nothing comes close
to Babylon and the view of the Strip and le Chateau Marmot
from the Hillside eyrie of Juan Diario, where we stayed.

- Edward Dorn, "Prolog", The Denver Landing, 1993

"Maybe it's in part because he had a lonely and precarious beginning in life that later on Dorn always liked to surround himself with congenial company. In life as in literature Ed had this weird little travelling party or company: the cowboy, the dance hall madam, the poet-singer, the Stoned Horse, among others. The great honor of friendship he conferred on me was to number me as an outrider of that party of outriders, along with other diverse disparate friends. As to Ed's itinerant young manhood out West -- of which one can get some sense in an image from a Hands Up! poem, "a windborn seed" -- I learned quite a bit from travelling with him across the upper Plains in 1979 on what was supposed to be a reporting assignment. We were "covering" the Wyoming energy boom for a magazine, but Ed's coverage always went deeper, wider, longer. We crested the Wind River range in white light and came down to Moorcroft, Wyoming, where Ed drove me past the old New Moorcroft Hotel, a landmark in his great early story «C. B. & Q.». We found Tiny's restaurant, back of which the half desert still begins, just as it does in that story. In Ed's day crews of gandy dancers hung out there between shifts. Ed was remembering his wandering working-life circa 1951, when "You could work endless hours but it was dangerous."' - http://jacketmagazine.com/09/clark-dorn-obit.html

Edward Dorn reads from "The North Atlantic Turbine": http://ubu.wfmu.org/sound/dorn_ed/north_atlantic/Dorn-Ed_North-Atlantic_01.mp3

Dorn speaking:http://tomraworth.com/Dorn.wav

What will say this
Something like was is
I can remember myself
How I gon remember them, him
Yall, with whens, oh the talk the
Discussions, serious with laughs
I dug Ed Dorn because he wd rather
Make you his enemy
Than Lie
No matter what AG & the others might think
Tho Allen, I can say, was reluctant as Naropa
That Ed had vowed to stay away
You know because of that drunken preacher
Allen's Tibetan Buddhist sexhound teacher
Anyway, that's what I hold of Ed
Thin straight blonde Cowboy
Movie looking white guy with the mind
Of a saw. Hey, me & Ed wd run it
We of the Green Lantern
By Day or By Night
No Evil will Escape
Our sight.
So to that hideous unrelenting deadly far left jab
Of this Dis world, the jabs are grabs
Look up, another of my peepas
Has booked.
Yeh, they was
Really here
& it wasn't for a
long time
whatever it seemed
way gone
Zizwe Ngafua
Split the other
Day, my man
A poet, God
& Gaston too
& Ed Dorn
a White dude
Straight as
The barrel
Of a pen
Called his self
A Gun Slinger
Tall rock hard
Slim, Hey, Ed
Gun Slinger,
You know, we'll get to argue
Again.

- 1/15/00"; Amiri Baraka, "Ed Dorn", http://www.poetspath.com/napalm/nhs01/baraka.html

His poetry also stood apart from theirs in being rooted in working-class politics and a sense of wild western myth. A list of a few of his many titles gives a hint of the territory he occupied: Hands Up! Idaho Out, High West Rendezvous, and the most famous of them, Gunslinger." James Campbell, Guardian obit, http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,,249075,00.html

my dedication: I read Gunslinger as an undergraduate English student at the University of Georgia, in a class on Pynchon and Gravity's Rainbow, I wrote a thesis (my post-grad admissions essay) that looked at the treatment of virtual geographies in Gunslinger and Gravity's Rainbow. The course was taught by Jed Rasula (see his book, "Imagining Language", an important anthology) and covered Bob Dylan's life in-depth (we read Absolutely Ffifth Street and watched Don't Look Back). This was in 2004, I got an A in the course. Here is an excerpt from the rough draft of the essay: The epic is the endpoint of modernist implosion into premodern aesthetics and anti-formal/anti-perspectival tribal art, whether that makes GUNSLINGER modern postmodern or premodern is anyone's guess, which smears semantics and Heidegger and cocaine at the college where Ed Dorn studied an americanized version of psychogeography with Charles Olson and Robert Creely, who contributed to the emergent acid speghetti western epic/poem aesthetic; additionally Gunslinger influenced King's novelseries of the same title, more than Kubrick or Alfred Hitchcock, who made films perceivable external to the nervous system, a medium Creely's Prose and Dorn's epic document in detail, in minimal-character rather than vsualmediaphorm, Gunslinger was devoted, each module, to a drug: cannabis, cocaine, mescaline, and LSD, which revolve like Ludd's narrative memory wheels and dictate the poet's unconscious literary patterns that are exhited as rhyme, metaphor, tonality, editing, incunabulae, handwriting, allitteration, latching to multiple protinussenses cognatus motus mentis (it is impossible for science to say how many senses are 'in use' or embodied in Dasein, they estimate or worse conjecture)

Last edited:
J

johnny_yen

No Ed Dorn fans? Oh well... if you're interested check out Robert Creely and Charles Olson as well.

STN

sou'wester
I really like some elements of the Gunslinger but I don't think some of it's aged all that well - the kind of hippy elements (the turned on horse) do grate with me a bit.

I do like "Green Lantern (for Edward Dorn)" which is another LeRoi Jones effort. I think it's in the Dead Lecturer.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"Modules: constant and fixed= straight striated space; regularly variable= focalized modular curved striated space, irregularly variable=nonfocalized modular curved striated space. A nomos A logos (e.g. the octave) Non-octave-forming scales reproduced through spiraling. Smooth is continuous variation, continuous development of form Striated intertwines fixed and variable elements, producing order and succession of distinct forms."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ahhh, I see:
...cannabis, cocaine, mescaline, and LSD...
;)

STN

sou'wester
Sorry, I haven't read any for bloody ages, so I can't really offer anything other than the vagaries above. Oh and I got the name of that LeRoi Jones poem wrong, but I've forgotten the title again now.

Benny Bunter

Need to get a copy of Gunslinger, love all the little bits I've read by him.

Luka will be on here soon to say he read it when he was 12.

Benny Bunter

Lovely delicate internal rhymes and rhythms in those two early ones. Quite different from the later gunslinger stuff I suppose.

version

Wonder whether Dorn read Burroughs, or vice versa. He was shockingly homophobic, so maybe not, but impossible not to think of him when he drops the phrase "reality theater" in Gunslinger.

version

Nevertheless,
it is dangerous to be named
and makes you mortal.
If you have a name
you can be sold
you can be told
by that name leave, or come
you become, in short
a reference, or if bad luck
is large in your future
you might become an institution
which you will then mistake
for defense. I could
now place you
in a column from which
There Is No Escape
and down which The Machine
will always recognize you.
Or a bullet might be Inscribed
or I could build a maze
called a social investigation
and drop you in it
your name
into it --

version

I can see why whoever made the thread brought up A Thousand Plateaus.

I study the savage mind.
And what is that I asked.
That, intoned Claude leaning on my shoulder
is what you have
in other words, you provide
an instance
you are purely animal
sometimes purely plant
but mostly you're just a
classification

Similar to this from the intro to Deleuze's book on Spinoza:

The environment is not just a reservoir of information whose circuits await mapping, but also a field of forces whose actions await experiencing. In a human sense, it can be called the unconscious, or at least the ground on which the unconscious is constructed. Which of these actions are we capable of experiencing? What is a walk in the forest (where the tick is waiting to experience us)? And what new individual do we compose when we "think like a mountain?" For Deleuze (for Spinoza), Nature itself is an Individual, composed of all modes of interaction. Deleuze opens us to the idea (which I take as a contribution to ecological thought) that the elements of the different individuals we compose may be nonhuman within us. What we are capable of may partake of the wolf, the river, the stone in the river. One wonders, finally, whether Man is anything more than a territory, a set of boundaries, a limit on existence.

version

Nevertheless,
it is dangerous to be named
and makes you mortal.
If you have a name
you can be sold
you can be told
by that name leave, or come
you become, in short
a reference, or if bad luck
is large in your future
you might become an institution
which you will then mistake
for defense. I could
now place you
in a column from which
There Is No Escape
and down which The Machine
will always recognize you.
Or a bullet might be Inscribed
or I could build a maze
called a social investigation
and drop you in it
your name
into it --

This is what we've often discussed killing basically anything new online: the immediate packaging and classification of it. Similar thing mentioned a while back re: Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books and knowing the true name of things giving you power over them.

There is no other break in the
descent, since without that it's all break
anyway. The purity is a question of
names. We are here to utter them. This is
a prayer. I have it now between my
teeth and my eyes, on my forehead. Know
the names. It is as simple as the purity
of sentiment: it is as simple
as that.

-- Prynne, Die a Millionaire