Sports

sufi

lala
Starting this thread, cos Jenks asked a good question on the 'what you noticed' thread...

why no discussion of FITBA, specifically, on dissensus?
or, indeed of other sports.

now i have a theory,
which is pretty obvious,
which is that the kids who are into music ain't into sports....

in my case i was well up for a bit of ritual corporal punishment trather than be subjected to PE as a little 'un - does this mean that i am more predisposed to suffer listening to dross hoping it may be fashionable?
or is it just cos i wore joe 90 glasses?
fotocarl3.jpg

;)

Anyone successfully transcended Nerd Culture into successful sportspersonship?

(where that leaves the Real Ale Fundamentalist thread i dunno? :p but my feeling is: Gary Mabbut & Chew Valley in-jokes should be BANNED :mad: )

jenks

thread death
me - i love sport, am an olympic junkie and have been known to find grace and wonder in darts.my particular love is football though - a passion which has worried me since the co-opting of the game into the 'hornby' axis. as if football, like much else is a lifestyle choice now that the terraces have gone and the working classes priced out of the game.
what i do notice though is that my friends do divide in to football and non-football fans and those that are not football fans are big music fans (except for my mate phil who loves heavy metal and now has become a big chelsea fan, a bit late in the day if you ask me). thet view sport as somehow childish and beneath them, much like etended p.e. whilst Big dave who i regularly accompany down the pub for football heard an N to X track and almost threw up in disgust - music for him is what is played on the radio between sports reports.
morrissey always claims that he was actually very good at sport at school, despite the hatred evinced in the headmaster ritual
of course in the states things are different - the reverence for basketball in music(ians) goes uncommented on - maybe it's the bling thing?
p.s. i picture simon reynolds as a mean table tennis player (or maybe that's just a fantasy of mine)

Last edited:

Gerard

FC Geek

Yes Sufi

I mentioned that rewch was a sporting geek, then thought it a little personal, so removed it.

Personally, I love sport but have no competitive streak. The physics of many games (golf, tennis, sailing, kite flying) are intensely satisfying and the exercise induced endorphin flood is not to be sniffed at. To really compete demands proper focus and some form of dislike for your opponent, and if I muster some of that chances are I'm no longer having fun...

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
jenks said:
me - i love sport, am an olympic junkie and have been known to find grace and wonder in darts.
i fucken love darts & hope to get up to the lakeside country club for next year's championships. cricket was amazing last year. yeah to olympics! yeah to the euro championships! I LOVE SPORT!

don't play any though.

jenks

thread death
i concure with the endorphin rush point - yesterday, me and Big dave went out cycling at 8 along the seafront - beautiful morning, man and machine as one, real sense of well being and positive mood which stayed for the whole day - not much better than that old endorphin rush

jenks

thread death
Darts Keith

Circus tavern is just up the road - to my shame i have never made the pilgrimage - maybe next year when andy f has lost some weight

luka

stelfox wrote something good about the darts not so long ago. not good enough for me to acually watch them, but pretty good all the same.

Randy Watson

At various times I could quite happily watch hours of coverage of darts, golf, gymnastics, athletics, snooker, football, weightlifting, kabbadi(sp?), etc. I'm still holding out against the Murdoch lie machine though.

There was a pretty deep schism at school between sportsmen and music heads and I can't remember any cross-over. Some of the latter have got more into sport after leaving school as they have been able to find a level or sport that they like. I mean, I like walking but if I told the games teacher that I was going for a walk...

Jenks, do you get along to Roots Hall at all?

craner

Beast of Burden
chalk blew up

I like athletics and ice hockey.

I like watching old footage of Wales playing rugby in the 70s, but that's got more to do with art than sport.

I like John McEnroe, when he said to a line judge, "you can't see as well as those flowers - and they're fucking plastic!"

jenks

thread death
"Jenks, do you get along to Roots Hall at all?"
been three times this season - nearly getting my head kicked in by luton fans in a pub 20 yards from the ground dampened my ardour! took my 6 year old for the first time, he got to shake hands with elvis the eel, saw the blues win and saw a sending off - great day out, will go again as we march to a play off place

Randy Watson

Jenks, try The Nelson on North Road for pre-match drinks. Its mostly for home fans, they're pretty cool about kids and it isn't full of moody twats. I make no claims for the beer though and the jukebox is atrocious.

Sorry, getting well off-thread here. Sport, er, yeah...hedge-jumping anyone?

mms

sometimes
know what you mean about sports and music not really crossing over.

i did like going very fast on my skateboard tho, which is some kinda sport as it had comps and stuff, but it was also subcultural . I'd like to go very fast on a snowboard when i can afford it. I've gone off the idea of going very fast on motorbikes since i fell off one and broke my foot and didn't realise until the day after.
The last good sports i saw live was the ice hockey at london arena, i liked that, very fast it was.

Backjob

I play pool. Aggressively, competitively and drunkenly. Well enough to beat most pub players. Badly enough to lose to most club players.

I wakeboard.

I did do Tai Chi up until very recently. It was magic.

Fuck watching sport on the telly though. Going to see the football is fun though. I used to get a naughty thrill out of the sectarian nastiness down at Tynecastle...

But yes, sport and music generally mutually incompatible as interests.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
Backjob said:
But yes, sport and music generally mutually incompatible as interests.
how can you say this?

when dave fitton comes on in the world darts semi to 'one step beyond'?
when eurovision 2004's 3rd placed act performs at the olympics closing ceremony (and falls over)?
when kevin campbell bankrolls mark morrison's new cd 'innocent mack'?

Gerard

Bob Willis

Well known Dylan buff. Once admitted he'd rather see Dylan live than play for England. Tut tut.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
i remember a time when every profile of pat nevin had to include the fact that he was a joy division fan
gazza fog on the tyne? hoddle and waddle?
so solid have a strong football connection don't they?