Bjork - 'Volta' (2007)

soundslike1981

Any Dissensians keeping up with the noise about this record? Anyone heard it?

Sounds potentially quite exciting to me, potentially a lot of fun. She's collaborating with some really interesting folk--Timbaland, Toumani Diabate, Konono No. 1, Antony (of & the Johnsons), the drummer from that post-metal duo Lightning Bolt, Chris Corsano, Min Xiao-Fin, et al. Supposedly a lot of brass instrumentation, very up-tempo/rhythm-centric, as much organic/acoustic instrumentation as electronic/processed elements. Sounds absent the string/choral diffusion elements of the last couple records (which I nevertheless liked, especially 'Medula').

No idea what the Dissensus-consensus is on Ms. Bjork, as I don't come from the same electronic dance music background as I take it most here do. Plenty on ILM are quite unabashedly, I'd say irrationally acerbic in their dislike of her, seeing her as a hanger-on to electronic music. Coming from more of a post-punk/art music background myself, I see her as about as sincere an artist as one is likely to find, for all the peripheral silliness. I don't go in for any sort of personality cult about her, I just really like her records, and think she's tackling some fusions of electronic (dance) music (even if possibly a year or three behind the hip curve) and vocal pop/art music that I'm glad are being covered (a niche that seemed more rare a decade ago perhaps than now, but she's still tops within it). She works with great people, brings them together, and I don't think she'd take more credit than she's due for what results, with her background in post-punk collectivist ethics.

To be released in early May I believe, bits and bobs are being teased virally on youtube/myspace at the moment, mere snippets but they mostly sound interesting.

Closest thing I've found to a review (not sure if it's legit or not):
http://www.sprk.nl/index.php?title=sprk_en_de_bjork_recensie&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

straight

wings cru
its seems a really exciting departure from the last few albums, the corsano hook up has be salivating, the year or so he was living in manchester was a really exciting time for music here with numerous clandestine house gigs. the literally man has to be seen to be believed

Pangaea

Really looking forward to this new album. It sounds like a much more accessible and different record than Medulla, which left me cold for the most part. Lively and upbeat, that's what I'm hoping for. It's a shame that Glastonbury seems to be the only UK date on her tour.

Last edited:

shudder

yeah, this seems exciting. I'm pretty much of the same mind as you, Soundslike... I've been quite put off at some of the ILM slagging tbh.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I'm excited, and I love Bjork's music, if only because she has been an outlet for Mark Bell's best work over the years.

I've always thought of her as a great synergiser in terms of art/production talent.

MankyFiver

i always think it depensd on how she sings
i got tired/unmoved by her vocal expressions and only like her when she sings 'straight' and when she does i think no one touches her

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I much prefer the idea of Bjork to the actual thing, which I guess is modern of her. For me she gets filed under 'glad she exists, leave room if being played'. You couldn't escape her among a certain type of gay men in the nineties, like a modern Liza Minneli or something.