ok, so i've been liking a few bits of dubstep lately

stelfox

Beast of Burden
The Shackleton track on the new Skull Disco and Mala's "Changes" (am i right in saying that this isn't new at all, just recently released?) are quite lovely.
Still absolutely not sold on the Digital Mystikz Richie Spice re-lick, though - it's a complete fun-suck, loses all the happily stoned, relaxed vibe of the original and replaces it with a kind of moody, skunky paranoia, as far as I can hear.
I'm also told that Benga's "Crunked Up" is pretty great. and am looking forward to hearing that
Anyway, this is not a wholesale conversion by any means, just to say that I don't think all of it's horrible by any means and I'm really enjoying ta few records at the moment.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
The Mala one is from 2004. Wicked tune tho.

I rate the B-Side of Crunked Up, which is called Skunk Tips. It fulfills some of the low-end promise of G-funk. I could listen to it in my jeep, for example.

Tim F

The recent-ish track I recommend to dubstep-sceptics like myself is Toastyboy's "Splash" - if only more dubstep was like this! Stelfox you'll love it, it sounds like Lenky making dubstep sorta.

elgato

I just dont know
yeh Changes has been around for a long long time, that release is very much one from the vaults as it were (i think Forgive is even older). imo dubstep doesnt get that much better than that 12" (not that thats a criticism!)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
good. i knew it had been around a while, but wasn't sure if this was the original mix or whether it was any different. as is apparent, i've not been paying any attention to what's been going on in dubstep for ages. didn't know it was *quite* that old, though.

STN

sou'wester
Didn't Shackleton remix The Stopper? Did you like that, stelfox? I thought it was terrific.

elgato

I just dont know
just for clarity, the potential criticism i referred to was of dubstep, not yourself

i would like to proffer recommendations but im uncertain of your tastes, and so much depends on that...

if you like the Skull Disco, check the Peverelist 12", and all of Shackleton's stuff (especially SD003 and his release on Scuba)

and given that you're feeling the Mala, check everything by him, and most on DMZ, they've been incredibly prolific, and Mala in particular takes things to another level i think. definately check Conference/Misty Winter on Soul Jazz, and DMZs 3,5,7,10,11

Hyperdub are also on the mark with every release

there are so many great tunes out there, but just a quick glance at redeye reminds me of the swathes of rubbish one has to wade through to get to it nowadays :/ a few random wildcards from around the scene (roughly)...

Juju - Iroko
Sarantis - More Than Money
Monkeysteak - Lighthouse Dub (Pinch Mix) - this is that dub inflected techno you spoke about, but its fucking good!
Skream - Bahl Forward / Distance - Temptation
Geiom - Berkane Soul / How To Love
The Bug & Flow Dan - Jah War

and i second Splash by Toasty! unreal

STN

sou'wester
Shackleton's Blood on My Hands is a beast too, of course.

I'd also recommend Joker's Gully Brook Lane which is like a white-knuckle Kraftwerk and any Peverelist records. Pinch's Answer remix is a good reggae re-rub too (quite a dark tune to begin with).

Why is this thread up twice by the way?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I've got most of the shackleton stuff, though not the stopper remix, and, obviously, blood on my hands is a great track.
Still couldn't dance to any of this – not really music you jump up and down to – but that's not a dignified course of action for someone in their 30s apparently anyway.

Why is this thread up twice by the way?

dunno. i hope someone takes one of them down.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I'd jump up and down to I Want to Eat You, but then I'm in my excitable 20s and just can't help myself.

The Stopper rmx used to be streamed through the Skulldisco site, dunno if it's still there.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Sometimes with dubstep it's about jumping up and down in defiance of the torpor / heaviosity. Good producers understand this I think.

Last edited:

adruu

This Is It
splash is absolutely amazing. that was one of the 2005 dubs that really sucked me in (plus mystix - creeper + stepper's vibe) i met toasty in montreal and he said he spent days on end programming those drums, and you can hear the work quite easily.

i have serious doubts that dubstep can produce tracks like splash even once a year. i've been waiting. maybe i need to start programming drums in my idle time...

im googling lenky...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, i know pretty much all they hypoerdub stuff. i meant this thread more as a bit of an apology for being so hard on dubstep in recent months. it's not so bad. some tracks i quite like.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sometimes with dubstep it's about jumping up and down in defiance of the torpor / heaviosity. Good producers understand this I think.

What I like about it is the two available dancing speeds: very often you can choose to either sway/lurch in time with the down-tempo bassline or dance in a more 'avin-it way to the much faster snare/hi-hat beat, depending on how many Red Stripes/doobies you've had. The fact it's so bass-heavy with relatively little treble and mid-range makes it amazingly easy to talk over, too. Great stuff.

/far-from-expert's 2 cents

swears

preppy-kei
I think everybody claiming to like dubstep is just trying to be cool and secretly listens to Pendulum when they're alone. :D