Pan Sonic

monkeysblood

born to cry
keep your ears peeled for the new album KATODIVAIHE/CATHODEPHASE
it's got some juicy noises on it :D and crossover potential methinks.

zhao

there are no accidents
can. not. wait.

and "cross over potential" certainly sound intriguing. confirms what direction i think the band is taking -- i.e. saving their more abstract and "difficult" material for solo rekkids and making Pan Sonic into a no-frills noise and beats death-dub machine.

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
what do they sound like, in their current incarnation?
remember "A" as kind of, um, brutalist minimal techno(?) *

*lots of sawtooth buzz, deep rumbling, TV static, insect swarm noises... very physical, almost unbearably so- on one occasion i got so nauseous from the impact of the sound (stereo turned to max) that i had to turn it off- this turned out to be the most common response from other people aswell ("turn that damn thing OFF!") :D

...but then they did some thing with a choir...?!?

(sorry for being totally clueless...)

zhao

there are no accidents
A was beautiful. difficult to find uncompromising music that is this enjoyable, and endlessly playable.

to me, after the first few EPs, Pan Sonic is not really about brute physicality for its own sake, but actually about the refinement, the taming of brutal, physical sound as object and using them to construct timeless sculptures.

this show review from last year might give you an idea of at least one aspect of their current work.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
A was beautiful. difficult to find uncompromising music that is this enjoyable, and endlessly playable.

to me, after the first few EPs, Pan Sonic is not really about brute physicality for its own sake, but actually about the refinement, the taming of brutal, physical sound as object and using them to construct timeless sculptures.

this show review from last year might give you an idea of at least one aspect of their current work.

I'd like to hear one of your DJ sets like the ones you done before Pansonic Zhao, if you got any, sounds wicked.

zhao

there are no accidents
no have not recorded that kind of drone set drenched in overtones... very effective live because everyone i think feels like they are all a part of a ritualistic experience, there is a collective mind that starts to happen, a spaced out mob... but maybe a set like this would seems a bit indulgent on a CD? hmmm... but i suppose it can be really nice at the same time. music for levitation.

still looking for mac dj software good for both live and studio mix construction...

zhao

there are no accidents
well it was promised to me... but the organizor never hooked it up! I'll email her right now. again.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
I saw them live in the bowls of the good ship 'Stubnitz' as part of the Version festival back in '05, really excellent. They understand the notion of live electronics in a way that Autechre spectularly don't. The audience are really locked into something and there's a physicality to the gestures and unravelling of the content. The waveform visuals seemed from back in the 90s but still just as effective.

zhao

there are no accidents
The waveform visuals

oh man that shit was the BADDEST! don't know if we talking about the same thing but i saw them once with this giant constructivist black square projected onto a screen, and would distort, fragment, and dissipate with surprising sensitivity to audio frequencies. amazing.

smn

I had the intense pleasure of seeing them live around the time they released Aaltopiiri in a place called Interzone in Verona, Italy. The whole experience was unforgettable. The black square mentioned above, and its permutations, is the most perfect audio / visual synergy I've witnessed; pure, oppressive and fucking unstoppable, just like the music. I remember standing in front of the stage at the time and feeling like I was about to be run over by a tank. Insane... :D

And as cliched as it may seem they actually blew the sound rig later that night. Now that's what I call a show.

Also saw them jamming with F.M. Einheit a year or two later but it wasn't a patch on the above.

hurricane run

I saw them about 94-95(?) with jimi tenor. Their set was so ambient no one noticed. Just low volume sine waves offa generators. Jimi was a star though. went to another club afterwards to dance with dani minogue the 90's were so eclectic!!:eek:

mms

sometimes
saw them live in the garage after or before massona - who was great , they were bloody body crushingly loud. It's out on blast first petite, which is blast first without the emi deal.

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Always liked Panasonic, but was pretty disappointed with the 0 album I heard from a year back [imagine that 0 with a line through it]. It was utilitarian to the degree where it just becomes crushingly steady and regular.

zhao

there are no accidents
Ø is the solo guise of Mika Vanio. which reissue (I'm assuming because as far as i know he hasn't done anything under that alias in a while) are you refering to? maybe 1 or 2 releases were a little extreme in the repetition dept., but overall for me it is some of the finest. ever.