dan le sac VS scroobius pip "Thou Shalt always Kill"

Alfons

Way of the future
I'd never heard of this, but just saw this on Bleep.com:
Causing a ruckus on UK radio at the moment, leading to various "Losing My Edge for the XXXX generation" style comparisons. It is very good indeed, and well worthy of the hype. You need to see the brilliant video HERE, which is really the point of the whole thing...
Get it in DJ-able 320k MP3 at Bleep now!

Listened once, think it's kind of funny, don't know how it will age. Is it big in the UK? Sorry if this is a repost.

swears

preppy-kei
Thou shalt not put your voice on a record if it sounds like Boycie from only Fools and Horses.

Thou shalt not wear chucks and a baseball cap with your shabby cheap suit.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
'Self righteous art school counter-culture wank which, whilst allegedly promoting people to use their own minds and think for themselves, is in fact an instructional video so that you and the rest of your wanker mates can feel far more enlightened compared to the stereotypical trendy kids you mock even though you would have matched that exact description no less than 6 months ago' should be classed as an official genre.

Pompous cunt.

At least LDN is a victim was relevant.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Vapid feel good music for pseudo-intellectuals who can feel like they relate to something which makes them superior to the heaving masses of other trendy people.

It's a good niche to go for. Everyone likes to feel better than others at some point.

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah, whereas with LDN is a Victim, you get the feeling that he's taking the piss out of himself as much as anything else, it's done in an endearingly cheeky way, rather than sounding stuck-up or bitter.

Anyone know who made it btw? I've heard it's definitely not Just Jack.

don_quixote

Trent End
is it a joke the joe strummer name in vain thing and then the clash just a band thing?

and comparisons to losing my edge are sad :eek:

tom pr

Bloody hell. The song's not there to be taken seriously; doesn't the 'shall always kill' line at the end imply that? It's a million miles better than anything Just Jack/Jamie T/Kate Nash have ever done, it's not desperately striving for any sort of authenticity, and it's clearly a little bit tongue in cheek. The fact that Logan thinks it's some sort of instructional video when it's nothing more than someone voicing his opinions in a funny way and to a good beat just makes me like it more.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Thou shalt not put your voice on a record if it sounds like Boycie from only Fools and Horses.

LOL.

But seriously, Swears & Logan, are you sure you can hear the record from way up there on your high horses? It's a horribly parochial world you must live in if you think a bit of in-crowd bitching like LDN... is more 'relevant' than this.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Of course it is instructional.

And I don't mean fucking literally. It is just another one of those records so people can think they are trendier than everyone else. "Let me list a bunch of cliched Hoxton stereotypes" records are so fucking old hat now. And this isn't even in anyway innovative or even sonically interesting.

Middle class droning wank music made for middle class droning wankers.

Alfons

Way of the future
Vapid feel good music for pseudo-intellectuals who can feel like they relate to something which makes them superior to the heaving masses of other trendy people.

It's a good niche to go for. Everyone likes to feel better than others at some point.

I guess you could make a similar argument about feeling superior to the pseudo-intellectuals who feel like they can relate to something which makes them superior to the heaving masses of other trendy people.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I guess you could make a similar argument about feeling superior to the pseudo-intellectuals who feel like they can relate to something which makes them superior to the heaving masses of other trendy people.

My good man, pointing out that something is vapid wank doesn't necessarily mean you feel superior to it. :)

sam

magical drop
I guess you could make an endless amount of recursive arguments about feeling superior to people who feel superior to people who feel superior to people who...

I thought the song was pretty bad.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I feel superior to people who's only retort is a sarcastic contortion of what I said in the first place because they are too lazy to actually write anything creative or thought out.

Oh, and politicians.

But that's all. No one else.