Festivals like Mutek, Sonar...

Alfons

Way of the future
Are they good? Are the panel talks, showcases and the like good? I guess WMC might fit into this catagory, do you know any similar kind of events/festivals?

swears

preppy-kei
I've never been to any of the major UK festivals, because I'm really not too keen on rock/indie (to say the least) and I don't like mud/squalor or post-hippy new age kinda people. But I've always wondered if Sonar was any good, the line up always seems interesting.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I enjoyed Sonar a lot last time I went - not sure about it from a buiness point of view though.

Its just nice for laying round with mates listening to great music in the middle of Barcelona, I don't really go for the 'names' but the vibe is really nice.

nomos

Administrator
mutek has shackleton, kode9+space ape and rhythm & sound w/ tikiman this year. i'm going to make the most of it :)

run_time

Sonar

I've been to Sonar 3 times now and each time i go i end up spending less time at the Festival and more time at the events around it - night time venue is mind melting in scale but becomes a bit disenchanting after a while. Barcelona becomes a mecca for events left right and centre with record showcases happening at different clubs and there's loads of beach parties as well. that said, some of the day time stuff at Sonar is really good (although programming last year was not one of the better) and the concert hall performance by Alva Noto & Sakamoto was fabulous

straight

wings cru
i agree the programming wasnt the best last year. it seemed there would be 3 bands on at 1230 (when im just getting outr of bed the same time), djs for 2 hours after, then the same happening at 4 and 7, too much waiting about and too much clashing. why not stagger the live bands? i dont want to listen to djs during the day. and richard chartier playing barely perceptable line/12k/happy stuff to an open air crowd of drinkers was as futile as two bald electronica producers fighting over a comb.
But saying this theres still nothing with as forward looking on the same scale and with as welcoming a vibe as sonar. have you been to a uk dance music festival? its terrifying, pissed up scallies fighting and mugging people, in contrast everyone seems to be solely out for a good time. Maybe that says more about teh dissaffected yoofs of britain.
As for good UK festivals (and a spot of self promotion), the futuresonic festival is taking place here in manchester next month with kode9, ttc, faust and with loads of workshops and seminars on the futurevisual them. The best thing about the festival is the EVNT strand which is 30 or 40 semi-independant events taking place over the weekend. Im putting on 'drowned in a dull roar' which will feature colin potter of NWW, Lee patterson and the birds of delay as well as a gaggle of local noise makers at victoria baths, a disused victorian bath house near the university district on 12 may. plug plug
We're actually going to have a futuresonic bar at sonar this year with a load fo the people involved will be taking over a bar round the corner from the main festival with various manchester types if youre in barca round then

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I've been to Sonar 3 times now and each time i go i end up spending less time at the Festival and more time at the events around it - night time venue is mind melting in scale but becomes a bit disenchanting after a while. Barcelona becomes a mecca for events left right and centre with record showcases happening at different clubs and there's loads of beach parties as well. that said, some of the day time stuff at Sonar is really good (although programming last year was not one of the better) and the concert hall performance by Alva Noto & Sakamoto was fabulous

I've knocked Sonar night on the head this year...gonna chill in the apt till late then head out for the parties...hopefully some dubstep to catch there this year.

straight

wings cru
ive been contemplating doing something similar this year, its a bit of a pain getting out of bed in the early afternoon after 3 days of madness though the skream/kode9 showcase has made me think otherwise. plus the day lineup looks awesome this year with hecker, pita,, ktl and wolf eyes on theres no chance i'll sit that out. missed the last day and ryoji ikeda as a result last year due to gashing my foot on the beach so i think im going to take it down a few notches this time

straight

wings cru
but whats that instrumental beastie boys paying concert about on the first night? i missed out on alva noto/sakamoto last year because of cash flow grimaces but i'll certainly not be losing any sleep on passing on that.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Here in the midwest of America, nothing compares to DEMF (Detroit Electronic Music Festival). You gotta like Techno to enjoy it, cuz its 75% that, but theres no dirty hippy squalor. On the other hand, theres no camping, as its 3 days but no nights. Its all smack in the middle of downtown Detroit, which feels like camping in the middle of nowhere, an urban nowhere, but still. I think what I like abou tit best is the midwestern attitude. Detroit specifically has a crowd of partiers and dj fans that are not only avid, but interesting and generally pleasant to be around. It seems to be the last vestige of dirty ravers too, but they are usually fun and dont get in anyones way. The year I went I got to see Alexander Robotnik, Godfather, 1000s of teenagers crushing themselves to catch Ritchie Hawtin in an underground parking garage like structure, Juan Atkins, and so much more.

http://www.demf.com/

run_time

Dissonanze Festival, Roma

Anyone have any any experience with the Dissonanze Festival in Rome. Considering it as an alternative to Sonar and the usual British fare but haven't heard first hand experience

adruu

This Is It
Just to be clear, Mutek is absolutely nothing like Sonar...in size of audience, clubs, or in terms of popularity in artists...

straight

wings cru
really? from (the admitedly small) amount ive read about it it seemed to have a very similar lineup/ethos

viktorvaughn

the line-up for dour festival looks good -dj/electronics stuff but with some big dancehall and hiphop names in there too.

It's in Belgium and it's only about £50 for 4 days.