Wild mushrooms in central London

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know there's a 'mushrooms' thread already, but I thought this deserved its own thread - I picked the better part of a pound (EDIT: just over half a kilo in the end!) of morels yesterday near Russel Sqaure tube station, which is about as central in London as you can get. Gave them a good clean at home and plan on making a big pie tomorrow. Might go back in a few days to see if there are any more.
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6466~gid~.asp
morel.jpg

(I've nicked that from a website, my own pics will go up soon - this is just to show you what they look like.)

Anyone else successfully foraged 'wild food' in a city?

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
If you go round the bins at the back of Marks and Spencers in Twickenham you can forage all sorts of wild packaged ham and bread and stuff. I'm sure it's the same at other branches too.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Here's a photo of (some of) my haul:
dsc00680ny2.jpg

And the resultant PIE:
dsc00681mp6.jpg

(note operating-theatre standards of kitchen cleanliness...)

IdleRich

IdleRich
I seriously hope that that didn't involve any of the cheese that Tom tricked me into leaving at your house.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I seriously hope that that didn't involve any of the cheese that Tom tricked me into leaving at your house.

Bwuahah, I used ALL OF IT!!!

Er, no, I bought all the cheese myself. Yours is safe and sound in the fridge if you want to come and collect it on Saturday. Of course, I think a small 'keeper's fee' may have to apply for our excellent stewardship of your cheese. Bring crackers...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
What happened to the photo of the mushrooms?

edit

Haha. Now I see it, not sure what happened there.

Carry on...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
I saw some more or less identical mushrooms near Hino station (suburban Tokyo) the other day. Too bad. Didn't know what they were ..

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Picked half a pound or so of these the other day:
57167324F15B460A851A288EE9250292.jpg

Found them in Epping Forest, so hardly central London, but easy to get to on the Central Line.
Fantastic fried in butter with a bit of garlic. :)