sleeve notes

mms

sometimes
what are your favourite sleeve notes,
the funniest ones ever that I know are James last *voodoo party*
the rigourous analysis of voodooisim and it's relationship with James lasts album of pop covers with a few bongos follows:

A long time ago a cult of a very special kind developed beneath the burning sun of western Africa. In other equatorial areas, mime, gestures, dances, rhythms, taboos and other characteristics blended into one another to form a new facet in music.
At the beginning of the Colonial era negro slaves took the voodoo-cult over to the American continent. Voodoo spread in the new world just as fast as the number of the coloured population, and then slowly vanished in those areas where it started.
Today the Voodoo-cult is only to be found in the Antilles, especially on the island of Haiti, and as macumba in Brazil. Most Europeans will never get a chance to experience voodoo in the place of it's origin. But listening to this record will make up for this loss Accept James Last's invitation to his Voodoo-party.
Among the beating rhythms of congas, bongos, rattles and drums you will experience the magic of Voodoo.

Woebot

thats classic!

my favourite sleevenotes are from the back of Zawiunl's "Zawinul" and they're written by Miles Davis:

Sleevenotes of Zawinul 1971 said:
Zawinul is extending the thoughts we've all had for years. And probably the thoughts that most so-called musicians have not yet been able to express.

MILES DAVIS

P.S. Dig the two drummers and Herbie with the echoplex - and the clear funky black soprano sound - and the setting that Woody has to play in. All these musicians are set up. Joe sets up the musicians so they have to play like they do, in order to fit the music like they do. In order to fit this music you have to be "Cliche-Free." In order to write this type of music you have to be free inside of yourself and be Josef Zawinul with two beige kids, a black wife, two pianos from Vienna, a Cancer and "Cliche-Free."
I love the way the postscript is longer than the original entry, how the whole thing is the absolute height of understatement, and how it sails sweetly and slightly self-conciously into the terrain of the cliche itself, yet somehow manages to be illuminating, perceptive and heartfelt.

B

be.jazz

And how they're written by a professed liner note-hater. I didn't know that Miles had written any.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Devin Townsend has some good ones...

GET YOUR FRIENDS TO BUY THIS ALBUM - I'M BROKE

THIS ALBUM IS DEDICATED TO MY STINKY BUM

PRODUCED BY DEVIN AND HIS PET BRAIN

MANAGEMENT: ME. FUCK OFF

"WE'RE NO LONGER RIDING ON THE MERRY-GO-ROUND..."

And my favourite:

Wouldn't you love to be able to tell your friends you're into some dippy, obscure band they more than likely will never've heard? THAT'S COOL AS SHIT! ...your own "personal" favourite band! Yowza! (we can almost garuantee they won't have heard of us...) Think of it as our own ELITE CLIQUE!!!