• sucks

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • about time

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

polz

how do you feel about this?

this is what i already said in the grime thread
"i remember this thread came to life because moderators complained there were too many grime threads (remember the "not another grime thread" by kpunk). now there are too little? i would think people who post here can think for themselves. i like all the grime news in one place. Keeps it lively. With all little threads you would miss them, and they will bleed dead much faster. This forum is not dying because of the gossip slander lies threads, but despite of them"

Last edited:

Guybrush

Dittohead
I think it would be nice to allow for rolling ‘new releases’ threads, or the like. Arguably, there are very few house releases that merit their own thread, for example. But some threads definitely have got to big.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Why does it matter how big they are if they are 'rolling' threads? All you need to see is the last few posts really.

nomos

Administrator
we had a lengthy back and forth about this between the mods. obviously there were points for and against. but it's very common for thread-worthy items to be brought up in the "gossip..." threads and then get quickly buried and forgotten. there are also plenty of people who never check a given "gossip..." thread but would be drawn to separate threads about any given topic that might be hiding in one. finally, we agreed that those threads have, more often than not, discouraged substantial posting and discussion.

anyway, it's an experiment, just like the "gossip.." threads were. if it encourages people to start more threads with more substance, then it's worthwhile. and if it means putting up with a little more detritus then maybe that's alright.

Guybrush said:
I think it would be nice to allow for rolling ‘new releases’ threads, or the like.

that might be something to consider.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think I know what the mods are saying, I been hanging around here for about a year now, and would have previously said keep the threads.

NOW, I think the way to keep this alive is to kill them, myself, have more live posts, get it rolling for a while. I'd personally welcome any changes, change is always good, try it the fuck out man! Why not.

I'd also like to say that I couldn't have done without any of you guys this year, big up yourselves, champs in yr fields, thanks, much appeciated.

drilla

from an avid reader but not prolific poster

I too think change is good, and want to see where it goes... but I wonder, what about the types of posts that don't quite justify their own thread, but point out a small thing within the genres of the rolling threads- like pretty much all of my insignificant posts pointing to specific songs i've heard, and such. Perhaps another type of rolling thread, similar to a 'now playing' but within the scope of a single genre? Perhaps it's too picky. I'm happy with anything as long as the forum keeps chugging along.

i love all peoples opinions (on grime specifically) in one place, its the first thing i check on here. Will be sad to see it go.

gumdrops

i think they serve their purpose perfectly. who wants a million little grime threads all over again? better to just have it all in one place i think. i dont see whats so bad about them or the problem with them being so long. its easy on dissensus to just go right to the last page so its not like you have to wade through pages of stuff youve read before. keep them going i say.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
...not wanting to come over all New Labour, but isn't there a middle way in all this?

Keep the gossip threads, but, where they throw up new interesting debates or refer to new lifechanging music/artists, encourage posters to start new threads.

The rolling threads started when some people were against to all the grime threads clogging up the forum...hence I (as I'm sure others) have been averse to starting any threads about grime and keeping all these discussions penned in the rolling thread.

If we want to slightly reverse this message - and encourage posters to take the bigger debates into new threads - then I'm sure that will happen.

Woebot

The rolling threads started when some people were against to all the grime threads clogging up the forum...hence I (as I'm sure others) have been averse to starting any threads about grime and keeping all these discussions penned in the rolling thread.

If we want to slightly reverse this message - and encourage posters to take the bigger debates into new threads - then I'm sure that will happen.

What I'm hoping will happen is that rather than a ghettoised monster thread, there will start a whole gaggle of quite reasonable threads pertaining to different sides of the genre. So for instance there might be a thread about a scene's club night, a label, an artist and these might flicker in and out.

Key to this is what people do so well at ilm, in bringing old threads back to life. People ought to get in the habit of digging out that old Ruff Squad thread, that old thread about the DMZ club night. As far as I see it the "flickering to life" of old threads is actually what makes a forum interesting.

nomos

Administrator
that old thread about the DMZ club night. As far as I see it the "flickering to life" of old threads is actually what makes a forum interesting.

It would be great if this happened more often.

One problem that you may or may not be able to fix Matt, is the allowable search string length. Search terms with only three letters - DMZ, dub, rap, hip hop, Nas, AFX, MBV, Eno ... - return an error like this:

Dissensus said:
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : dmz

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
i fear change. but sure, why the hell not.

actually what i fear most of all is that i might start looking and posting in the other parts of this forum... if i even duck into 'politics' i fear i might never do any work ever again.