OPERA - breaking new, gossip, slander, lies etc.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OPERA - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc.

Hehehe, just kidding. :)

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
onb415286bwelitschljubaex0.jpg
cigna5.jpg
friant2.gif
unbenanntde2.png
oehmanlohengrin.jpg
didurboris.jpg
img16-g.jpg
Cernay-Germaine-03%5BCarmen%5D.jpg
pareto2.jpg
gadskihu7.jpg
Branzell-Karin-1.jpg
antonio_paoli_hs.jpg
urlussiegfried1.jpg
schwarz_joseph_fp360.jpg
jadlowker.jpg
Katia_Ricciarelli.jpg
vinay.jpg
HeadgearDelMonacoS.jpg
AndrePernetFF.jpg
cuenodhugues9xn1.jpg
anselmineu.jpg
faverocoll.jpg
h860824a.jpg
cover_croiza_lg.jpg
Peerce-Jan.jpg

wow i haven't gone picture crazy like this since the Fush thread! but like deep sea creatures this is a worthy cause.

mos dan

fact music
on a serious tip, what one opera should i own on cd? something cheap in a 'naxos' kind of vein? i like shostakovich a lot, so maybe 'lady macbeth of mtsensk' or whatever it's called? but if so, which version?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
on a serious tip, what one opera should i own on cd? something cheap in a 'naxos' kind of vein? i like shostakovich a lot, so maybe 'lady macbeth of mtsensk' or whatever it's called? but if so, which version?
I don't know if it's the one opera you should own, but you could do a lot worse than pick up a copy of Peter Grimes by Benjamin Britten.

Octopus?

Actually, this rolling thread could be amazing. I just picked up a copy of Janacek's "From The House Of The Dead" and was absolutely blown away. Is there anything unconventional and similar to this that I should be looking into? I remember reading about Operatic adaptations of "The Devils Of Loudon" and "Woyzeck" that would seem to readily lend themselves to such unique interpretation, but my knowledge of all things opera is very limited.

zhao

there are no accidents
Bartoli-1.jpg

Cecilia Bartoli - If You Love Me (Se tu m'ami ), 18th-Century Italian Songs

might not be quite as serious as what some Opera heads might recommend, but in terms of loveliness and absolute enjoyability, this record is a MUST. (especially if one is inclined at all in the art of seduction.... nothing better to have on the hi-fi when sitting in a candle lit room, pouring glasses of brandy for that new special someone)

bruno

est malade
I remember reading about Operatic adaptations of "The Devils Of Loudon" and "Woyzeck"
berg's wozzeck is brilliant and it's such a crucial juncture musically, straddling two eras really. to have this romantic sensibility ripped apart by dissonance, you can't imagine a better representation of mental anguish! and of europe at the time, i suppose. what else, strauss' elektra comes to mind, and verdi's othello is all dark and brooding, a lot of people with problems on these two.

i've heard good things about pascal dusapin, that's my knowledge of contemporary opera :/

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
(especially if one is inclined at all in the art of seduction.... nothing better to have on the hi-fi when sitting in a candle lit room, pouring glasses of brandy for that new special someone)

Dissensus's very own Swiss Tony is revealed! ;)

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Actually, this rolling thread could be amazing. I just picked up a copy of Janacek's "From The House Of The Dead" and was absolutely blown away.
Janacek, YES! Sometimes I think he's simply the best composer of opera ever, even better than Wagner. If you wan't to find more like "From the Hose of the Dead", you should begin with his other operas, they're more or less masterworks all of them. I'd say begin wiht "The Cunning Little Vixen" and "The Macropulos Case" and then go on from there. And don't miss his instrumental music either!

Bartoks "Bluebeards Castle" is maybe the greatest of the early 20th century operas, somewhere between late romanticism/impressionism, modernism and inspiration form folk music. But "Wozzeck" is probably the key work, as mentioned elsewhere.

As for Shostakovich, "The Nose" is the real killer, it contains some of the most insane and freaked out music I've ever heard anywhere; so manic, cartoon-like and schizophrenic as to make John Zorn weep.

woops

is not like other people

(especially if one is inclined at all in the art of seduction.... nothing better to have on the hi-fi when sitting in a candle lit room, pouring glasses of brandy for that new special someone)

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Cecilia-Bartoli-18th-Century-Italian-Songs/dp/B00000420F/ref=pd_sim_m_4/103-9923388-2986229[/url][/QUOTE]

not that you need candle-light, opera or brandy to get chicks, with your ultra - clean fine tuned pure + unpoisoned rolls royce of a body right zhao?

zhao

there are no accidents
naturally.

but of course it's not just about "getting chicks"? been some years since college. rather a process to be enjoyed for both... every detail... an improvised play involving all 6 senses.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Actually, this rolling thread could be amazing. I just picked up a copy of Janacek's "From The House Of The Dead" and was absolutely blown away. Is there anything unconventional and similar to this that I should be looking into? I remember reading about Operatic adaptations of "The Devils Of Loudon" and "Woyzeck" that would seem to readily lend themselves to such unique interpretation, but my knowledge of all things opera is very limited.

Penderecki did a 'Devils of Loudon', but it's a bit iffy - OK, but quite laboured. (And not much like Threnody etc).

Bluebeard's Castle seconded.

Octopus?

Thanks Rambler / Hamarplazt! I don't have much time to dig around on the internet these days for info so the suggestions are very helpful...think I'll take a trip down to the store this week-end.

Just one question, for "Bluebeard's Castle" I can find listings for three versions currently available in North America, one featuring Sally Burgess and Sir John Tomlinson on Chandos Records, one on Philips (which I sadly can't find info on) and a Deutsche Grammophone edition conducted by Boulez (the one I'm leaning towards). Can either of you fine fellows shed some light on a preferable version.

Too bad to hear about "Loudon...", I love Penderecki's Threnody and I was excited for the concept (and really sold by some production photos I saw of a performance).

Other than "Houses Of The Dead" all I've heard by Janacek is his "Glagolitic Mass", that "Macropulos Case" sounds fantastic though, thanks again Hamarplazt! I also love me some Shostakovich, so "The Nose" is right up there on the purchase list. Appreciate the help schooling an Opera neophyte as myself.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Come on now!

Everyone knows that Bizet's "Carmen" is THE definitive opera. In a minute I'm gonna post a list of the 25 greatest operas of all time...I have an East Coast/Golden Era of Opera bias when it comes to them so my list may seem a little too "canon" or "traditional" to most Dissensian opera heads. LOL.

One.