Frisco-Back 2 the Lab Vol. 2

RAISED BY WOLVES

Brand new up on the forum, though a long time lurker in the Gossip, Lies, etc... thread, I thought I would be constructive and talk a little bit about This tape (as some people asked) which I acquired just 2 days back, as well as try and pay attention to this:

it seems this thread is the only that anyone really minds is being closed.

the problem is that it's sucked all the grime out of the rest of the forum. ingrates like me who just ignore it aren't getting their fix. maybe if someone would agree to moderate this thread, and push bigger topics out, you know strictly gossip, then we could keep it open?

maybe i seem a bit indecisive, but i'm just trying to listen to the massive.

So here we go:

This is a good solid tape.

Its not great, I wouldn't say its ground breaking, but grime really needs more of these. It's one of the most consistent I've heard from a solo artist along with Devlin's Tales from the crypt.

First things first, the Beats: The intro is solid, gets you in the mood for a bunch of straight grime, but then.................the first and second tunes come with those oh-so 0h-so vocal samples. the first of those is a Ratchet, and though some of his beats are good, he seems kinda young as a producer, and this one falls into the inconsistent catagory. the second is from Wiley, and is one of his usual meandering introspective productions.

Then comes "same shit, different day" which is the first track to really catch my attention. Produced by the suicide dogs (?) it starts out with a slow almost halftime rythm, before It doubles up and Frisc destroys the third verse. Its interesting, and it gets reloads in my discman (yeah...I still got one a them).

"Grimemusic" is OK, but I don't go for the whole "Grime in England, grime in france, grime in switzerland, grime in Japan" bullshit, OK, we get it. As always his flow is on point, but this one doesn't do it for me.

Next comes "What's poppin'" with narstie, and a "freestyle" (I heard it on Logans show a while back) which in CDQ is fucking devistating. 64 bars of terror. The flow on these two is just fuckin mucky, and he goes back and forth suprisingly well with Narstie. he sounds really Unique on the freestyle too, truely like no one else, which is good. So many of these MC's are anyguy.

I don't like Cooks or Lazy (the second needs to up the levels for real...stop crying about you aint on riskyroads and practice hours. Step your game up, write bars...damn, this guy irks me) so the next one is only OK, same with the following, whcih though it has an interesting use of sample, is not all that great.

Then Comes "Aiya Napa Story". I was excited when I saw this joint on the track list cause I mean come on, who wouldnt be. Frisco, Trim, Skepta, gossip....? It delivers on all 4 accounts. It is really well put together, with the narrative flowing seamlessly, and each participant in the evenings event painting a perfect personalized picture of "what happened in napa?". The beat is on some snares n Congos intro, then Fris gets into it, and you just listen. You don't find yourself overwhelmed by synths and effects, you just listen. The way Trim comes in on this one is too much.

lemme tell you the low down again
see flodan and them'
i'm on a different program to them
so when marcus is shouting "Rolldeep smoke peng"
Im on a thing where I'm shouting "suck ya mom times 10"

You know how he rolls. madness ensues. man are in Pen. Etc... i wont spoil it.

Buck Buck, Back with a bang (with Skeppy and flodan), and Stop dat (which uses the ubiquitous Dizzee sample) are the rest which really stand out. There's a gang more, but they don't all warrant a track-by-track breakdown.

In short, the tape works because Frisco's flow is top-notch, he is maturing as a lyricist, and most importantly, EVERY TRACK IS GRIME! Plain and simple, no bullshit, no halfsteppin. He does fall into rpeptitive patterns a bit too often, but on the whole, I was suprised by how listenable it is.

I got this, Trim's tape, and The dirrty Whirl sampler in the same week, and they will all be in rotation for a good while staifying the Grimey needs of this NYC kid...

Well, i'll be around and about these parts when I'm at work, so you all can keep me posted on what's good on your side of the pond

Easy,

Wolves