Trim - Soulfood

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Thanks for the Trim tip. I've heard a couple of snatches recently and they have indeed been absolutely mental. Will defintitely check this out.

jus wanted to say

and yes, trim is looking sick... i was on his myspace last week and really impressed by all his tracks... his lyrics are on a whole nother thing now... i could def. see his mixtape breaking thru to non-grime fans, as it's weird in a very appealing way...

yep

could be a key element for him being able to break out of RD's shadow

Aftershock's album's out...whose copped it? I will when I get some cotdamn P'sssssssss!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Logan, how come you don't get booked for FWD>>?? surely as the only grime dj with a weekly national radio show it makes sense to get you down there?

also, are you gonna get Trim on your show, cos he is on FIRE??!

I can't tell you why I dont get booked for FWD anymore. I did 1 set there about 2 years ago now.

That's it.

Trim will be on my show in the next couple of weeks

viktorvaughn

thats kinda irritating..i dont post often at all on here..but i enjoy breezin through and seein what ppl are sayin. This is the only thread that i check. Now i have to go through the threads..grr

Did Wiley produce the intro for Tunnel Vision Vol 6?

also still lovin the refix of Turbulence on Trim's album.

Hmm, yeah it is nice to just dip into this, as all the knowledgeable people / interested parties post here, so it's like a little ongoing primer. However i can see how they might be like duckweed in the Dissensus pond...

That Turbulence rfx is fantastic! Not sure about the TV6 intro, he's been on a lot of Maniac beats of late.

john eden

male pale and stale
Ditto on the Turbulence refix - wicked.

Probably stupid question - what is that "Marksman" tune? Has it been released?

I've listened to that mixtape half a dozen times and missed it - mainly because I was only half paying attention.

Trim's soulfood is probably the next best thing to Boy in da corner i have heard in Grime. There are so many quotable lines

"Thats me thats me!
Bad boy Trim
Bad boy Trimothy!"

his lyrics are absolutely on point

"look i wear nike from the foot up
mash no push ups
might catch me at a west indian cook-up"

The one criticism i might make is that it requires a certain knowledge of grime in the first place to be enjoyed in the fullest, as in tracks like War Report 1 only work for grime heads, and he references other rappers like crazy in almost all his songs. I played this album in my studio and the reaction (to my absolute horror) was unanimous, that Trim was shit. I tried explaining the genius of his lyricism but it all fell on deaf ears. Ah well.

I think people were more impressed by Dizzee when he came through, i guess the album sounded more energetic, media hype, etc... but i think its a shame Trim doesnt get a fair go aswell. That turbulence refix is sick

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Frisco's 'aiya napa' with Trim and Skepta on it is a pretty amazing tune - grime at it's storytelling best

viktorvaughn

Trim's soulfood is probably the next best thing to Boy in da corner i have heard in Grime. There are so many quotable lines

"Thats me thats me!
Bad boy Trim
Bad boy Trimothy!"

his lyrics are absolutely on point

"look i wear nike from the foot up
mash no push ups
might catch me at a west indian cook-up"

The one criticism i might make is that it requires a certain knowledge of grime in the first place to be enjoyed in the fullest, as in tracks like War Report 1 only work for grime heads, and he references other rappers like crazy in almost all his songs. I played this album in my studio and the reaction (to my absolute horror) was unanimous, that Trim was shit. I tried explaining the genius of his lyricism but it all fell on deaf ears. Ah well.

I think people were more impressed by Dizzee when he came through, i guess the album sounded more energetic, media hype, etc... but i think its a shame Trim doesn't get a fair go aswell. That turbulence refix is sick

Glad that others are feeling Trim so much - he has had some critical reward if little financial!

I think it's the best mixtape since GNR2 definitely. And if i could only have 10 on a desert island i think it would be in there.

I think he really rewards close listening, perhaps on headphones firstly because of all the intricate tumbling word-play and secondly to pick up the references to various running beefs. Who is the person in the tune 'Javan Brother' - is it Wiley? He's not sending or anything but says something like 'i would expect olders to act better, but we're still brothers' or something.

Some of the beats are a bit forgettable. And i don't really like In the Ghetto and the kinda love-son ish one. But there are about 6 of absolute fire.