portable mp3/hard disk recorder

tryptych

waiting for a time
Can anyone recommend me either - an mp3 player with decent line in recording, with different quality and stereo/mono options, or a cheap portable hard disk audio recorder?

I guess I'm looking for something like a minidisc recorder, but HD/flash ram based, something that can record mixes off a desk, do quick and dirty live recording, found sounds etc...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Sorry to say, both Archos and Iriver stopped producing their recording players, and they're the only ones I know of that aren't serious kit. I think there's no money in funding some vague middleground between mp3 player and pro quality audio recorder, maybe?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
My mate was using the MONOLITH MX7010 512MB MP3 PLAYER for a while which I was quite into, you can just drag and drop the recorded file to computer, no transferring, comes out as a wav I think. I think you should be able to pick one up for about 20 quid now lol.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I'd strongly recommend a Iriver H320 or H340, they don't make them any more but you may be able to get some old stock from ebay or something...
That's what I've got, I totally recommend it too. It's a heavy beast for an mp3 player, eh, but never mind.

If you put rockbox on it you can record directly to WAV or AIFF, and the start-up time is much faster.

gabriel

The Heatwave
Cowon Iaudio

there's another thread about these somewhere - search iriver/iaudio and you should find it

I've got a little one called MPIO that has 5GB of memory, a line in and a little built in mic.
It was £130 about 2 years ago and I bought it because it was the only thing I could find that worked with Mac OS 9 as well as OSX and Windows.
Thoroughly recommend it.
Don't know if you can still get one though.....

soundslike1981

I've had one of these for years and loved it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-GB-MP3-Play...ryZ73839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However, I've never much used the line-in recording. Still, it records at up to CBR 320kbps, so unless there's somehow noise from the drive itself, it must record pretty well. Also has an SPDIF input, and a built-in mono mic (which does pick up some noise--it's an HDD-based player).

Loved it because the battery lasts 20hrs and it fits any 2.5" HDD, up to 120GB/25,000 tracks.