Reggaeton

mos dan

fact music
I need some help. I have like two or three compilation albums (including the one Gabriel and Gervase did the sleeve for - that was a pleasant surprise), but I need more. And I don't know where to start, or where to find it.

I know I like this guy a lot - Jimmy Bad Boy - he's really poppy and there are wonderfully banal cher-vocoder bits on his biggest song... god it just reminds me of living in Spain. Pop sounds better there, I think you shed a lot of your cynicism when you don't speak the language so well or something.. I digress.

Any update of what's hot in reggaeton atm, how the various micro-scenes are progressing, where I can buy Jimmy Bad Boy's 'Bailando' CD, and recommendations of who else I should check out (old or new) are all very welcome. Ta.

Guybrush

Dittohead
It’s reeeally cheesy, but I kinda like it.

This is one of my favourite 2007 songs, regardless of genre. She looks like a non-smug Beyoncé, and sounds like a pining Siren. Oh yes!

Adassa – «La Manera»

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ripley

Calle 13

Calle 13

Calle 13

get everything. fricking great. pretty good lyrics, too, as far as I can tell!

zhao

there are no accidents
i don't know much about the genre but from the few i've heard it seems the classics are the best. Tego Calderon, Don Omar (may not be all that classic?)... stuff like Daddy Yanky, although sometimes bangin, gets really repetitive and samey samey... recommendations would be appreciated here too.

drilla

caile caile

I tend to like the poppy, epic sounding stuff. Here are some favorites from the summer of '06. i'm sure the majority are lunytunes productions. I don't know what's been happening lately, since being separated from my beloved kalle105.9 in new york

Daddy Yankee - Tu Principe

Zion y Lenox - Fantasma

Zion y Lennox - Es Mejor Olvidarlo

Wisin y Yandel - Noche de Sexo

Wisin y Yandel - Paleta

Tito el Bambino - Caile

Ivy Queen - Yo Quiero Bailar

And this is my absolute favorite to date: http://www.zshare.net/audio/zion-lennox-mia-completa-mp3.html

gabriel

The Heatwave
yeah zion & lennox are (often) great, as are wisin & yandel - the singer/mc combination, as in dancehall, always works a treat.

tego and daddy yankee are way ahead of the rest though, i especially love daddy yankee's super fast flows, they're wicked. it's all about the poppy stuff for me, there's a lot of very technoesque dark, nasty reggaeton that just does my head in, it's horrible.

the only calle 13 thing i've ever heard is their collaboration with nelly furtado, will have to check them out

ripley

man I don't even care that residente calle 13 looks like Marky Mark. he's fricking great.

his tune with Daddy Yankee: Machucando

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

and Querido FBI

his new tango tune is ridiculous too. he's all over youTube. Calle 13 won latin Grammy awards three times, he's big!

petergunn

plywood violin
and Querido FBI

this is the best thing i've heard in a long fucking time!

N

nomadologist

reggaeton is the soundtrack to my existence. in my neighborhood, that gasolina song would sometimes be played on repeat at top boombox volume by neighbors who had front sidewalk bbqs for entire Sundays starting at 7 or 8 AM, as i was getting home to try to sleep.

as for where to start: reggaeton is all about context--i can't imagine trying to "get into" reggaeton by buying a compilation and sitting at my computer alone listening at home. it's all about ghetto blasting it out of your souped up domestic four-door sedan with a puerto rican flag painted on the front hood. it is badly produced enough (which is part of the fun, of course) that it doesn't make for very good armchair listening.

also, i want to take this opportunity to point out that reggaeton is primarily made by Puerto Rican artists. it is originally Puerto Rican music. it is not "Mexican" music. all hispanic people are not the same. they have different nationalities just like white people.

dame mas gasoooliiiiieeeiiinnaaauuhha

N

nomadologist

reggaeton is the soundtrack to my existence. in my old neighborhood near Maria Hernandez Park, that gasolina song would sometimes be played on repeat at top boombox volume by neighbors who had front sidewalk bbqs for entire Sundays starting at 7 or 8 AM, as i was getting home to try to sleep.

as for where to start: reggaeton is all about context--i can't imagine trying to "get into" reggaeton by buying a compilation and sitting at my computer alone listening at home. it's all about ghetto blasting it out of your souped up domestic four-door sedan with a puerto rican flag painted on the front hood. it is badly produced enough (which is part of the fun, of course) that it doesn't make for very good armchair listening.

also, i want to take this opportunity to point out that reggaeton is primarily made by Puerto Rican artists. it is originally Puerto Rican music. it is not "Mexican" music. all hispanic people are not the same. they have different nationalities just like white people.

dame mas gasoooliiiiieeeiiinnaaauuhha

Eric

Mr Moraigero

anything special make you want to point that out?

bruno

est malade
i've done my best to avoid it but it's impossible unless you rip out your ears, everyone and their dog listens to it here. plus it's a local, syrupy version, more romance than blatantly sex obsessed (i suspect a lot of the sound groups of the 90s, which were more group oriented and mushy subject-wise, migrated to reggaeton, hence the variation). but a couple of weeks ago i ended up in a club and hearing it in this context was a mini revelation, it made perfect sense. basically the first half of every tune had a very elaborate introduction, really dramatic-romantic, and the second a super precise (martial, even) beat with nasty lyrics. i don't know, quite different to the radio stuff and actually very impressive.

Hector "El Bambino" & Naldo Presentan: Sangre Nueva is one of the better collections I've heard (although most of the best tracks are on the first disc), with a mix of the poppy and the more aggressive.

Tego Calderon's The Underdog/El Subestimado, from last year, has a lot of good stuff on it (though like Calle 13 he tends to vary things by drifting away from the narrower reggaeton template).

I could name dozens of individual tracks that I like, except I don't have most of the titles memorized.

Luny Tunes - Noche de Entierro
Hector el Bambino - Noche de Travesura
[Noche de whatever is generally good]
Hector the Father, et. al. (I think) - Mayor Que Yo
Ivy Queen - Dile
Ivy Queen - Te He Querido Te He Llorado
N.O.R.E. - Y Voy

Fulanito (not strictly reggaeton, but related and capitalizing on its popularity somewhat) is worth checking out as well. I think their new album is going to be good:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=63283822

For a poppy sound, Adassa, recommended upthread, has some good tracks. I like "De Tra" in particular. In a similar vein, with a light touch, I like a bunch of tracks by Pilar Montenegro from Pilar & Co: South Beach.

Also, check out this blog (though it's not updated too much):

http://salvajesiempre.blogspot.com/

Like Nina, I tend to go for a bachataton (reggaeton + bachata) sound.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Looove this stuff. Latino 96.3 is the only station out here I can bear to listen to, besides Pacifica radio occasionally.

also, i want to take this opportunity to point out that reggaeton is primarily made by Puerto Rican artists. it is originally Puerto Rican music. it is not "Mexican" music.

True, but reggaeton is HUGE with the mexicans out here in southern California. I think there are even some mexican reggaeton artists now.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Luny Tunes are Dominican.

There are reggaeton artists in practically every Latin American locale -- there's definitely some Pan-Latino nationalism going on with it. I first heard about it through Mexicans in Chicago. In Cartagena, Colombia, it's become this monstrous trance-pop-reggaeton-rap mongrel they call champeta (which is the same thing they call their own Carib-Afro-beat music). The rhythm's a bit different, but same idea.

East Africa seems to be feeling it too... there's at least one Swahili group that's called East African Reggaeton Crew... I also have a Tanzanian mixtape with homegrown reggaeton and some ripped off Luny Tunes instrumentals.

drilla

first

My first real exposure to it I'll never forget. 4th of July '05, Brooklyn, on a rooftop. Beer and a joint, and the 'cross the street neighbors blasting it endlessly into the night while the fireworks burst over the Manhattan skyline. That's when I got infected but it didn't take a strong hold until a year later with intense home listening, so a mixture for me.