Diggedy Derek's Dubstep Primer for The Wire

boomnoise

♫
Not in the spirit of the pending lock down of the BNGSLE threads but i thought i'd post here anyway rather than starting a new one.

Just wanted to say well done to Derek for his excellent Dubstep Primer in this month's Wire. Top work.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
At last!. The wire doing a dubstep primer.

How often did a well known reggae writer pitch that idea to them last year?

Big up Derek for getting the gig.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Some really good writing in this piece. Really glad to see something solid on dubstep from the wire, given all their bigging it up over the last few issues.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Yeah gek, I was almost more interested in that bit - critical beats completely dominated by grime and dubstep.

Found it pretty funny how his 'bad' review of Coki's Burnin' remix actually made it sound completely fascinating :D Is that good or bad writing?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it wasn't a "bad" review per se, because it's not a bad record per se. it's just not a whole lot of fun. if you're looking for music that's pretty bleak and foreboding, with a huge bassline, then you'll love it. i rarely am, so consequently i don't. however, having a fully fuctioning set of ears and a halfway working brain, i do understand that that is *exactly* the way it's supposed to sound. given that, i wouldn't savage it, because it's actually an excellent bit of production. i just think it's sad that that's what makes people completely lose their shit these days. and i know it sometimes goes by another name and that it's by coki. it's also an illegal mix, so i didn't want to cause any trouble for anyone. derek's piece was great. i've only ever pitched pieces on selected dubstep people in the pasty, like horsepower productions back in the day. someone like derek is way more suited to write a primer that encompasses the latest wave of dubstep, because i'm not exactly on top of that game any more. anyway, i thought his take on the whole thing made for a great, objective and comprehensive read. in fact, it was a pretty good issue all round, but, damn, mark e smith gives me the creeps.