proto dubstep

Blackdown

nexKeysound
people always bring up disparate proto dubstep influences - early Scorn for example - but to me the influences often need loosely separating into those that are causally linked to the dubstep scene/sound, and those that co-incidentally sound like dubstep in retrospect, but had no direct effect on building the sound.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
people always bring up disparate proto dubstep influences - early Scorn for example - but to me the influences often need loosely separating into those that are causally linked to the dubstep scene/sound, and those that co-incidentally sound like dubstep in retrospect, but had no direct effect on building the sound.

this thread is obviously about the latter, innit?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
This Teja 7" from 1980 that was posted on Mein Walkman Ist Kaputt is a good one if you can find it.

Also a friend pointed out yesterday that Underground (Ambient Mix) by The Irresistible Force has a bit of a dubstep thing going on.

What about Qu'Ran from My Life in The Bush of Ghosts?

I still reckon the Dr. Who theme is the mummy though.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Also Inflatable Rasta Wig (deflated) by MonoTM (Atom Heart I think).

Mouse On Mars have a few too what with their dubby tendencies and fondness for sinewave subs - one of the mixes of Bib in particular IIRC.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
There are various oddities from mid 90s drum & bass that sound like proto dubstep. Jay Majik did stuff as Innervisions that is really slow and cavernous, like inner city dub - I got this one and it's great, top record. The drums are hip hoppy though, they don't have the swing. But in terms of atmosphere, it's a dubstep record.

Photek's Into The 90s sounds garage-y if you play it on 45, I knew garage DJs who used to do this.

This UR record is wierdly dubsteppy too - like halfstep techno, quite bleakly ambient.

nomos

Administrator
sandoz' chant to jah album is the big "could've been but wasn't" one for me. the tempos are mostly wrong but the idea is there. bits from muslimgauze too. sandoz especially had those digital steppers riddims that can mix well with that 2step slink. if they didn't actually influence the development of dubstep they certainly predisposed me to feeling it when i first heard it.

language-wise, hyper on experience had a tune called "half stepper" in 1993, and unique 3 had "weight for the bass" in 1990.

slotek's 7 has something in common with the most minimal weighty halfsteppers. i felt a familiar kind of stasis when i first heard those tracks.

Last edited:

aleksy

Here is the Teja single.

Stunning. Really gourgeous textures here. The A-side reminds me of things like 'Mr No' and 'Burning Car' by John Foxx or 'Kalte Kriecht' by Grauzone

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Now I've finally got myspace player to work... massively disappointed in this. Dubstep at its cliched worst, completely free of any groove or feeling.

Check Mick's history and I completely disagree with you, Mick's product is miles ahead of anyone doing Dubstep, fact.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Check Mick's history and I completely disagree with you, Mick's product is miles ahead of anyone doing Dubstep, fact.

I'm a fan, dude. But I'd much rather hear him doing his own thing rather than his take on an established genre. What really doesn't help is that there's a million people doing this kind of sound at the moment, and they were doing it way before Mick Harris decided to get involved. It's the same with his drum and bass output - it's just the Scorn sound cut and pasted onto an existing genre template. Everything is sonically intact but abiding by genre rules removes a lot of that which makes some of his output great.

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I would argue that Mick was doing Dubstep before it even had a name, listen to some of his albums - get them out, it's there for you to hear. I'll leave your other comments alone as I really can take them seriously.