the ipod machine

mpc

wasteman
£170?

surely you can get a good portable mp3 player for much less than this?

does anyone here own one?

why is the ipod worth so much?

In Moll

mpc said:
why is the ipod worth so much?

Slick aesthetics & knowing their demographic is my guess. Plus I'm guessing it's a bit expensive to make a 40gb drive that small, not to mention able to run off batteries. Look into a Creative, they're comparable and significantly cheaper.

mpc

wasteman
i'm quite interested in an mp3 player, but i cant justify paying so much money. any ideas of a good mp3 player with significantly less memory, i.e. 1gb or thereabouts.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
I was previously dubious about the idea but now I'm completely sold on the idea of a 1gb iPod Shuffle, I'll just load in my new music every week or two and keep it flowing. Hoping to pick one up in the next couple of weeks

Gido

night tripper
ipod shuffle

strange player. 1 gig of music combined with blind navigation, that sounds terrible! im not so excited about the shuffle idea, shuffle doesnt care about moods, or anything. maybe nice if you have just mixes, or listen to one sort of music only.

nomos

Administrator
iPod Mood would be great. Like an mp3 player crossed with mood ring technology.

Today, mine would go like this:
:mad: - "Forward Riddim" or "Hype Hype"
;) - "Fit but you know it"
:D - "Tricky Disco" and some Bleep
:eek: - Cheerleading booty tech
:p - Favela on Blast
:( - tinchy "it's real" or skinner "blinded"
:cool: - that mix the john mpc did. that was dope.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
You don't like it, don't buy it.

ipod appeals to some people cos its ergonomics and look and feel suits the way they engage with music. This side of things can be worth more to these people than battery life, storage space and absolute proce. If it doesn't suit you, don't buy it.

Same as with cars. You can buy a nicely sorted BMW, Audi etc to transport four people. Or you could get an asian no-brand which will "do the same job" for a lot less. You might miss what a Bimmer can give you, or you might not.

Personally I don't have an mp3 player. But I listen to radio four on my phone through its little headphones sometimes, and I'm thinking of getting a bigger memory card so I can chuck some mixes on there.

mpc

wasteman
alright kevin, tell it to oprah you douche bag...

i'm after the ford fiesta of the mp3 player world.

any ideas?

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
mpc said:
alright kevin, tell it to oprah you douche bag...

i'm after the ford fiesta of the mp3 player world.

any ideas?

I quite like my MiniDisc. They're running around $150CAD here, so that's... £60-£70, I think.