Rihanna - Umbrella

drilla

my word, I love this. those 'ella' syllables when it goes a little bit minor key (guessing). hope there's a version without jay on it

Guybrush

Dittohead
I dunno about this. The «la la la la» bit is nice and all—great even, but the rock drums aren’t up my alley, Jay-Z’s voice is TIRED, and you can’t dance to it, which is a huge minus. Its wiki page claims both Mary J. Blige and Akon passed it on, and somehow the song actually smells of having been mangled, focus-grouped, and whatnot. I don’t know why; it’s just an odd feeling I get. I like that she so daringly tries on new genres all the time. (Actually, the first thing that struck me upon viewing the video was that my beloved Rihanna had lost all of her nymphetic allure, boohoo, but that’s the inexorable hands of time for ya.)

This Tune Is F*****

I actually love this track...truly...it's caught me out there - I have to admit it lol

what a brilliant crossover pop track - they've been pumping her up to be a cash cow (3 albums in 3 years...previous 2 sold 1.5 mil each) and now have DIRECTLY gone for the boom

and maaad props for the (un) intentional of re-jacking Nelly Furtado (who jacked in the first place)...

gumdrops

i find it quite tuneless, joyless, and just plain shit overall. very poor video as well. and jay-z definitely doesnt need to be on it either.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i'd heard this being hyped so was intereted to hear it but its just...crap. I don't quite know what people are getting on with this record.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It sounds like The Cranberries. I don't know why people aren't shooting themselves in the streets over Ciara's 'Like A Boy', it's the best vocal production I've ever heard.

no way

It sounds like The Cranberries. I don't know why people aren't shooting themselves in the streets over Ciara's 'Like A Boy', it's the best vocal production I've ever heard.

ciara lol? she can't actually sing (she's good at continuously hitting c though lol), lyrics are awful in that song and why try and fit so many words in a bar...in fact there's no real tune in 'like a boy' aswell

good thing she can really move imo

gumdrops

she cant really sing, no - shes very limited, but given the right song, she sounds fine (but over a full album shes pretty hard to bear). shes best on songs like the fast 80s electro sounding ones or goodies. ballads arent really her forte. i think the sing-song sung/rapped style a lot of R&B artists do now is cos their voices are so weak - if they had to sing a proper melody it would make them seem worse and expose their weaknesses tenfold.

Last edited:

28 Gun Nice Boy

i find it quite tuneless, joyless, and just plain shit overall. very poor video as well. and jay-z definitely doesnt need to be on it either.

What Rap cameos on RnB tracks aren't superfluous? At least he get's his lame contribution out of the way early. I like this though, much prefer it to all those recent Timbaland pop tracks.

Hasn't she bitten Wiley's Umbrella concept though?

C

captain easychord

for me the rnb tunes of the moment are : t-pain- snapping/buy you a drank and the new r kelly one

petergunn

plywood violin
for me the rnb tunes of the moment are : t-pain- snapping/buy you a drank and the new r kelly one

no Robin Thicke????

he played next to where i work last week and the crowd was literally 90% fine professional black women and the rest mostly gay dudes with a handful of straight guys and white women...

so, if you are single, i would say check out the robin thicke show... if you can't get a few numbers, you need to tighten your game up...

C

captain easychord

that 'lost without you' tune? enormous, no doubt, but not really my thing.

robin thicke?

nah...not my thing

he can sing though

t-pain cannot...AT ALL but that snapping track is serious...v serious indeed...

what the hell's happening to my taste lol?

Guybrush

Dittohead
I’m still ambivalent about this tune, but I have a hunch it could become huge with the proper remix treatment. The a cappella is pretty solid (minus Mr Z).