JME: next stop the world

Immryr

i hope for grimes sake he isnt as he is almost unbearabkle to listen to (mcing) most of the time. i havent really been too keen on his beats of late either.

there are a million people in grime who give me a greater sense of hope for the future.

john eden

male pale and stale
You can argue about who is better, but it's undeniable that he stands out and is ripe for picking up by the mainstream.

he wavers from really good to really shit, cant reallyput my finger on any track names as i havent listened to his stuff for a while. The hype round his mixtapes was quite big at the time, and that was when no-one else was doing anything, so i guess he kept grime moving during stagnant times. That kind of sums him up from me, im a half hearted supporter. Logan did a wicked mixup of a few JME tunes at the styleslut thing the other day. quickfire.

elgato

I just dont know
undoubtedly one of my favourite grime mcs. i really hope for success for him, and with ammunition getting behind him, who knows...

"he sounds a bit like that hadouken though innit?" :(

bun-u

Trumpet Police
It's a bit like the JME vrs Skepta debates I've been in a few times...Skepta tends to be more of a favourite with grime ultras, while JME seems to cut it more for crossover fans. People seem to forget that your average joe doen't understand 90% of grime mcing, and JME's mcing is very clear, he break things down, explains concepts and makes less of the in-jokes/jibes. It's a bit like Dizzee vrs Wiley - you can see JME (like Dizzee) blowing without the grime scene, while Skepta (like Wiley) needs the scene to break for him to blow*

*even though 'men don't blow'

elgato

I just dont know
as much as i love skepta, i think he's much more conventional than jme, who i feel is very very innovative both lyrically and in delivery

mos dan

fact music
It's a bit like the JME vrs Skepta debates I've been in a few times...Skepta tends to be more of a favourite with grime ultras, while JME seems to cut it more for crossover fans. People seem to forget that your average joe doen't understand 90% of grime mcing, and JME's mcing is very clear, he break things down, explains concepts and makes less of the in-jokes/jibes. It's a bit like Dizzee vrs Wiley - you can see JME (like Dizzee) blowing without the grime scene, while Skepta (like Wiley) needs the scene to break for him to blow*

skepta spits pretty damn clear, to be fair, but i can see why content-wise jme would be more accessible - breaking down concepts, less slewage, etc. and yes, i do like jme's bars sometimes, he's got a lot to say, and he definitely *does* have great crossover potential (the 50something editor of 'the word' is familiar with his work, i discovered yesterday), but the guy can't really cut it live or on radio - always ends up shouting, and rarely seems to have learned how to spit his more interesting bars in a freestyle situation; he always ends up resorting to over-familiar, older material.

on the other hand, two hours of skepta freestyling over plastician, on the plastic people sound-system, is pretty much my idea of perfection. where do i get my 'grime ultra' t-shirt?

mos dan

fact music
ps - i am fully aware that the ability to impress me and 199 other people at FWD, or duppy maximum's set on rinse, has essentially no bearing whatsoever on whether JME will take over the world.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
on the other hand, two hours of skepta freestyling over plastician, on the plastic people sound-system, is pretty much my idea of perfection. where do i get my 'grime ultra' t-shirt?

yeah I'd think I'd be in the Skepta camp if pushed, but my g/f (who's not a grime fan by any stretch) really likes JME

Immryr

skepta is clearly a better mc than jme. as a rule of thumb i generally prefere his productions too.

tox

Factory Girl
If I'm gonna put a Grime track on a mixtape for someone, it pretty much has to be JME. Most other Grime bars are just self-referencial/gun-chat = major turn off for a lot of people. JME's tunes are, for the most part, pretty much accessible to anyone.

Couple that with some killer beats and choice of beats, as Logan said, and you've got the perfect cross over artist.

Stuff like 96 Bars of Revenge, 96 Bars of JME and Boy Better Know sound good surrounded by whatever other music. It's grime you could hear on the radio. I really like that track Deceived from the Derkhead mixtape as well. Much better take on "comedy" Grime than Sway or whatever.

The whole Boy Better Know thing has just been a stroke of genius really. Nice strong image, good music, interesting little side-projects (BBK Fighter etc). Some of his catchphrases like "Serious" are already crossing over a fair bit. I'm pretty sure the kids shouting "serious" in Channel 4's Skins were directly referencing JME...