Oval- Missing in action?

straight

wings cru
ive been reappraising the work of marcus popp as oval as i tend to do during times of heartbreak (im a long term girlfriend down) and have been trying to find out if he's been up to anything of late; not a sausage as far as i can see. every year or so i see a promise of a new album but nothing seems to come from it.

the last two albums (ovalcommers and the 'so' album with eriko) sound even more relevant now than they did when they were released in 2001-2003 compared to other glitch music of the time and if noones ever checked them out i reccomend you do, especially in the light of the success of guys like tim hecker who seem so massively influenced by ovals later sound.

I know he was working with the tu'm guys but has anyone any idea where he's been?

zhao

there are no accidents
i think you should write him and tell him that his music is very good for broken hearts. he'd be pleased, but uncomfortably so perhaps... as Marcus always maintains that his music is not "his", nor is it "music". he likes to fancy himself an interface designer who merely allows the system to do what it wants -- so any kind of "emotional" content is purely coincidental.

i of course think he is full of shit (in a good way) :)

i can not listen to ovalcommers at all. and so, much less than that. Tim Hecker's been around for as long as Oval, no?

trouc

trouc
curious why you can't listen to em. those are easily my favorite works by him and really top a lot of other stuff around that time. commers for example i think's way better than endless summer, does everything e-s is supposed to do but just does it better, but somehow it was totally under the radar...

straight

wings cru
i know tim hecker has been working for a long time and ive been following his work since radio amor (an album i dont think he's topped), i just think harmony in ultraviolet borrows rhythmically from oval quite a bit and its the album that seems to have introduced him to the pitchfork crowd.
i'm surprised zhao, what's the ovalcommers beef? i enjoy the earlier oval group work but it sounds to me like its more about the process, when it had got to commers theyd developed a vocabulary to work with and became much more concise and emotional. there is something about the arc of the first 3 tracks that has me weeping like a smacked toddler.

Last edited: